Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JohnnyTheWolf

Automatic pistol start?

I was wondering if there is a way (e.g. a mod, a GZDoom parameter, etc.) to have my inventory automatically reset at the beginning of every level, so I do not have to load a map through the console every time.

Thanks in advance!

The PistolStartEnforcer wad is more or less what I am looking for. Unfortunately, it seems incompatible with Smooth Doom, as it uses the default pistol sprite.

You could just bind a key to skip to the next map, thats what I do. In console:

bind whateverkey nextmap

Press the key when you finish one map and you skip to the next with pistol start. Only problem is if you want to do secret maps.

Worth noting that in PrBoom-Plus you can bind a key to restart a level which is pistol start, and that the nextmap bind will take you to the secret maps in proper order.

Someone here put out a mod maybe 9 months ago for zdoom which did auto-pistol starts and more. Was actually a neat little mod; I'll have to see if I can look it up. Will post it here if I find it. I think the guy's name was something similar to shotgunguy.

*Edit*
Was close, Shotgun Guy put this out in August of last year:
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/74385-pistol-start-mod-for-zdoom/

Iirc, this mod was really cool to use and I had it in the autoloads of whatever version of zDoom I was using at the time. Fairly useful for testing maps in zDoom as well when you need to check an area halfway through the map, as this mod had additional features, including simple pistol-start.

Spoiler

Also get to see me (probably, idr) speaking on ignorance; yay! Color me dumb.

Fonze said:

Was close, Shotgun Guy put this out in August of last year:
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/74385-pistol-start-mod-for-zdoom/

Iirc, this mod was really cool to use and I had it in the autoloads of whatever version of zDoom I was using at the time. Fairly useful for testing maps in zDoom as well when you need to check an area halfway through the map, as this mod had additional features, including simple pistol-start.

It is a cool mod indeed, but just like the one before, it does not seem to be compatible with Smooth Doom. However, this time, it is worse, because enabling Pistol Start causes me to start with no weapon at all and I get an "unknown script 0" error message.

I do not understand: all Smooth Doom does is improving sprite animations. Why would it make the game unable to spawn weapons?

JohnnyTheWolf said:

I do not understand: all Smooth Doom does is improving sprite animations. Why would it make the game unable to spawn weapons?

If something isn't doing what you expect, logic would dictate that what you know about it isn't actually true.
To increase the number of frames something has, you need a whole new object with new & more frames, thus the pistol isn't the same pistol anymore, and whatever scripts these other mods use continue to reference old objects the player isn't suppose to have.

Foot-note: Dehacked can edit existing frame tables but cannot make new ones, while Decorate is the exact opposite where it can create new tables but cannot modify existing ones.

So I tried to edit the CLEARINV text file from PistolStartEnforcer.wad by replacing "Pistol" with "PerkPistol".

//If playing on UV Pistol Starts, enforce said pistol start for each player
script 900 ENTER{
if(GameSkill() == 4){
ClearInventory();
GiveInventory("PerkFist", 1);
GiveInventory("PerkPistol", 1);
TakeInventory("Clip", 999);
GiveInventory("Clip", 50);
SetWeapon("PerkPistol");
SetActorProperty(0, APROP_HEALTH, 100);
}//end if
}

Unfortunately, I still start with the vanilla, non-Perkistan Pistol. What I am missing?

The clean method of "automatic pistol start" in ZDoom-based ports would use ResetHealth and ResetInventory commands in map definitions in MAPINFO. Possibly a defaultmap block containing these commands + map blocks redefining all IWAD maps, and the mod might have to be loaded before (not after) the wad you want to play it with (unless the wad contained its own defaultmap block, in which case the wad itself would probably have to be edited to contain those commands in defaultmap).

Is it possible to bind a keyboard key to the console kill command in ZDoom-based ports? That would be the easiest way not involving loading a script if auto save is turned off.

It's possible to bind any key to any console command or even to any sequence of console commands, via the bind command and similar ones.

You can make an alias to reset your health and inventory.

alias pistolstart "take all; give health; give fist; give pistol; give clip 30"

Yes, give health will set your health to 100 even if you already have more. And you give a clip of 30, because giving the pistol already gives you 20 bullets. (On the baby and nightmare skills, where you get double ammo from pickups, you'll end up with 70 bullets, so feel free to make a different alias that only gives a clip of 10.)

Linguica said:

I tried to add a -pistolstart parameter to Chocolate Doom last year but it got rejected :(

Hmm....

@linguica 	Listing the REAL author 				6a60116
	@linguica 	Revert "Listing the REAL author" 			b2bca18
	@linguica 	Revert "Revert "Listing the REAL author"" 		5f8fcac
	@linguica 	Revert "Revert "Revert "Listing the REAL author""" 	30dc658

On 9/10/2016 at 9:31 PM, Touchdown said:

Are people really that lazy these days? It takes literally 2 seconds to warp to a level.

we share the same thoughts bud