Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrimCuttle

Can someone explain where Doom4 fits in the lore?

igg said:

Duke was not rip and tear or badass. He was a bawdy macho type who drunk too much beer.

Are you out of your mind? Duke Nukem was the definition of a badass action hero who kicks alien asses for fun and saves babes along the way while dropping one-liners. I think you need your memory refreshed.

Touchdown said:

Are you out of your mind? Duke Nukem was the definition of a badass action hero who kicks alien asses for fun and saves babes along the way while dropping one-liners.

He was not serious.
The who art style was way to colorful.
The one liners were not funny.
He had bad manners.

Maybe we have a different definition of "badass". Examples of badass characters for me: Die Hard, Predator, Terminator 2.

I take them serious. Duke was always childish in my eyes. Made for pubertal kids.

The Doom guy just did his thing. No silly jokes. Just get in, slaughter all demons, get home. Slaughtering is all that matters. And rip and tear perfectly matches this attitude from the original games.

I think some people get the phrase wrong. For me the opening voice of Doom 2016 says "your hate for demons makes you more blood thirsty than them. Now start!". And Doom 2016 has it's frightening parts if you play in Ultra Violence or Nightmare.

I find it hard to believe there are people over the age of 12 that still think Duke Nukem is cool. I always assumed he was just a parody of himself, or he's at least the butt of jokes now.

igg said:

Although I really like your idea how to connect storylines, I think your approach has some flaws:

Heh, thanks for the critical breakdown and analysis. Didn't even realize some of those flaws myself, was just loosely trying to tie things together in a somewhat intriguing story. That's the unfortunate thing about theories, thus back to the drawing board :)