Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AverageWalrus24

[Deleted]

So you tried to load them as IWADs/PWADs or something?

Hmm...a source port which could use those alpha IWADs natively would be neat -after all, they are meant to be complete resources -for whatever little playable content there might be.

FWIW, SLADE3 can open them, but I don't know if it can also convert them to the released Doom format.

It shouldn't be too hard to hack ZDoom to load the Press Release Beta Demo at least. I think you would only need to make it identify DOOMPRES.WAD as an IWAD and load TEXTURE2.LMP and read the Beta graphics format (from what I understood it's relatively similar to final). The alpha versions would require more work, but shouldn't be impossible to support. I've wanted to see a source port supporting the prototypes for a long time. I hope it'll be done some day.

Maes said:

So you tried to load them as IWADs/PWADs or something?

Hmm...a source port which could use those alpha IWADs natively would be neat -after all, they are meant to be complete resources -for whatever little playable content there might be.

FWIW, SLADE3 can open them, but I don't know if it can also convert them to the released Doom format.

Working on it. For Alpha v0.2, you have to simply add the player into the map - the player position is hard-coded into the .exe

The other versions require a hacked up engine that can render walls without nodes, blockmap, reject, etc. Also, the texture format was first simply patches, then the textures used a numeric index. I think on long walls, textures had to be built specifically to cover the entire length, using the patch+offset format - no wrapping!

Lee Killough added a lot of support for playing the Press-Release Beta into MBF.

I'm going for the ability to load the old iwads, and emulate the look and feel (not 100%), but in user-specified video settings.

There's no point trying to get any demos to sync - they don't sync in their respective .exes.

There was a video of Romero playing and showing off a pre-pre-release, with Wolfenstein sounds! I'll probably try to make a wad with these sounds to accompany the emulation, just for the sake of having some sound to go with the game. Unfortunately, it'll be a long time before I'm ready to release anything. I find any old versions of Doom fascinating, as do a lot of people apparently!

Averagewalrus24 said:

I can't get any of the alpha version of DOOM that are available for download to play on CHOCOLATE DOOM, I am given an error like this "W_GetNumForName: GENMIDI not found!" So I was wondering 1. How do I fix this. OR 2. I can't fix this, and need to use something like DOS BOX the run these alpha versions of DOOM. Sorry if this question has been asked before, if it has I couldn't find it.

Yeah, the executables are exclusive to the builds. The final engine won't support the alpha wads.

I think the best approach for an alpha-supporting port would be to operate an internal conversion of at least the map format to "orthodox" Doom. AFAIK, not even SLADE3 actually does that, even if it can display unusual WAD formats like alphas, Doom64 etc.

The gameplay/engine behavior is secondary, IMO, but once the map/rendering is out of the way, it could be somehow re-implemented on top of the final vanilla Doom engine.

Maes said:

I think the best approach for an alpha-supporting port would be to operate an internal conversion of at least the map format to "orthodox" Doom. AFAIK, not even SLADE3 actually does that, even if it can display unusual WAD formats like alphas, Doom64 etc.

The gameplay/engine behavior is secondary, IMO, but once the map/rendering is out of the way, it could be somehow re-implemented on top of the final vanilla Doom engine.

Converting the resources is straightforward enough, it's the rendering without nodes that gives the most issue. Of course, a disassembly could produce exact playability, as well as the exact rendering method. If only there were more hours in the day...

Good luck with that, kb1! Looking forward to try it out once you're ready to release something! :)

Alpha IWADs are not supported by Chocolate Doom. Did someone tell you they would or was it just a mistaken assumption on your part? Curious why you thought this would work.

The thing is, the Alphas were not "the full game", not even in the same form. In terms of ice cream flavours, at least Vanilla was a complete ice cream. Even the Shareware was a taste of complete ice cream/an ice cream cone with 1 ball (the full version being 3 balls). The alphas were more like just an ice cream cone, at best. And not even a fully-baked cone, at that ;-)

fraggle said:

Alpha IWADs are not supported by Chocolate Doom. Did someone tell you they would or was it just a mistaken assumption on your part? Curious why you thought this would work.

I think most of us were guilty of giving it a shot.

Averagewalrus24 said:

Since I'm not exactly good with figuring things out for myself I went searching around and found an older forum post that had these two websites linked in it. (http://toastytech.com/doom/index.html and http://lordcyber.net/doom_sw/). The first one has screenshots and downloads for the alpha along with his experience playing the alphas. The second one is probably the best thing I've ever found on the internet, it's downloads for all of the Alpha versions of DOOM and EVERY version of the shareware. The downloads are the second link, after downloading you will have a file named DooM alphas and sw, after opening click the file named Dfend, it will take you to a window that has all the alphas and sw, click on any of them and it will start the game in DOS box for you.

Aw, hell - I guess everyone ran the site out of its allotted bandwidth. I can't read the message, but it looks a whole lot like "oh shit, you're screwed...". Funny how that can be read regardless of language!

All of the alpha and shareware versions should be on idgames. See idgames/historic for alpha/beta and shareware before 1.9, and idgames/idstuff/doom for the full 1.9 shareware.

Averagewalrus24 said:

Well I can't help but to find that hilarious, that enough people actually went to the website for that to happen.

Just curious, but did anyone download what was in the second website's first link?

chungy said:

All of the alpha and shareware versions should be on idgames. See idgames/historic for alpha/beta and shareware before 1.9, and idgames/idstuff/doom for the full 1.9 shareware.

Yeah, I have all the alphas and beta - I just wanted to see what was described as a cool launcher. Now it's a 404...

Averagewalrus24 said:

I could try to send you the files through a pm if it works like that. (If not I'm open to suggestions)

Eh - don't sweat it - it was just a whim. I appreciate your offer, however. But, you may want to put them up on a free file hosting site like Mediafire (ugh), or better Dropbox.com or something, so everyone can check it out.

I think it would be really cool if the alpha behavior was reverse engineered, stuff like bobbing, player movement, etc.

Blastfrog said:

I think it would be really cool if the alpha behavior was reverse engineered, stuff like bobbing, player movement, etc.

Id love to see alpha 4 style movebob make a return, it seemed to simulate footsteps better with the final movebob being more like Doomguy is skating when you sprint.

Actually, didn't adventures of Square find a way of kinda-sorta doing this?

Averagewalrus24 said:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1kqa3qnyy954ysi/AABYiddly6xwvjagsPW4_dxHa?dl=0 I did the best I could uploading it, if it's not working(Not launching) tell me and I'll figure something else out.

Since you went to the trouble, I thought I'd check it out. Your upload doesn't contain the Doom games, by the way. But the launcher is kinda neat - I'll check it out completely when I have time to point it to all the .exes and .wads. Basically, that's what your upload is missing. (Don't know if that was intentional or not, but, it's ok to include the alphas, beta, and shareware files, as they are not warez).

Cool, thanks for the upload. Looks like a neat launcher for playing various DOS games through DOSBox, without a lot of extra batch file/shortcut creation nonsense. I think I'll get some use out of this! I'll be adding all Doom versions to my personal copy, along with the other idTech 1, and non-id games of the era.

Microsoft should have incorporated DOSBox into their shell - how cool would that be?

Maes said:

Yadex can load those old versions and it looks like you can save them to "release" Doom format. I tried with the Beta, and it seems to run ok in Chocolate Doom, but you have to first delete the unknown evil sceptre and unholy book things.
Yadex is picky about how you load the maps, have to specify the game name and iwad number that match, e.g.
yadex -g doompr -i9 DOOMPRES.WAD
I didn't convert the textures and sprites. Trying to just run it like this crashes the game at start:
chocolate-doom -iwad ../doom/doom.wad -merge DOOMPRES.WAD -file tmp.wad -warp 3 2
But otherwise it plays ok.