Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
massivefanofdoom

How do you value Doom multiplayer?

Topic. Since I cannot make no poll -or I am too retarded to find out where to do such a thing- I decided to make this thread. The main 3 questions are the following, you can simply answer Y or N.

Would you still spend $40-60 on doom2016 if it had no MP?
Are you interested in MP in doom 2016?
When you think of doom as a series and a franchise, does MP stick out?

My own answers

Y
N
N

Yes, I'm one of the few that likes the whole game entirely but if the mp didn't return in the sequel and we got a bigger SP and improved snapmap then I would totally be fine with the mp being gone in favor of those two modes I've mentioned.

No i wouldn't pay 40-60 bucks if it lacked Multiplayer To be honest, Multiplayer and SnapMap were the reasons why i bought it in the first place .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

No i wouldn't pay 40-60 bucks if it lacked Multiplayer To be honest, Multiplayer and SnapMap were the reasons why i bought it in the first place .

So you completely ignored the campaign?

Uha, I Already stopped playing the campaign, I feel like there's nothing to go back for ever since i finished it except SnapMap and Multiplayer, And that's why i don't buy (ignore) games that lack Multiplayer, And no i'm too lazy to revisit the levels and find secrets or hidden levels (:P) .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Uha, I Already stopped playing the campaign, I feel like there's nothing to go back for ever since i finished it except SnapMap and Multiplayer, And that's why i don't buy (ignore) games that lack Multiplayer, And no i'm too lazy to revisit the levels and find secrets or hidden levels (:P) .

Are you a MP elitist by any chance?

No, I Liked the SP, But i wouldn't pay for a game that i would drop after finishing it's SP Campaign, That's me :S .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

No, I Liked the SP, But i wouldn't pay for a game that i would drop after finishing it's SP Campaign, That's me :S .

These days SP doesn't necessarily mean campaign only you know, anything that involves fighting against A.I and is playable offline is considered SP like snapmap for example.

NodEliteX5 said:

What kind of multiplayer are we talking about here?

The multiplayer kind? What other kind of multiplayer is there?

Solo-net? That's not exactly multiplayer.

Edward850 said:

The multiplayer kind? What other kind of multiplayer is there?

Solo-net? That's not exactly multiplayer.

There's competitive multiplayer, MMO, or Cooperative multiplayer. Which is it?

Any/all multiplayer. I do mean a broad qualifier here. Anything that allows you to play Doom with other people.

Seeing as Doom originally only had deathmatch and co-op, they are usually the most identified aspects. Fun fact, there hasn't been a single Doom game without either in some form. Classic Doom is obvious, Doom3 had a co-op mode in the original Xbox release, and Doom4 has co-op in snapmap. It wasn't completely absent in the original console ports either; the SNES having a deathmatch mode on the XBAND service, PSX had co-op and deathmatch over its Serial IO, and 2-4 player deathmatch and co-op on the GBA.

Edward850 said:

Any/all multiplayer. I do mean a broad qualifier here. Anything that allows you to play Doom with other people.

But is that what made Doom 1 and 2 popular? The only multiplayer I can think of that was just as good as solo play was co-op. As for competitive multiplayer I honestly don't think it will appear again for the next installment after all the backlash it has recieved unfortunately.

NodEliteX5 said:

But is that what made Doom 1 and 2 popular?

It sure did help. Deathmatch over the Dwango modem service was hella popular, and had (frequent?) tournaments. As well as in-house LANs over IPX, typically after-hours at offices and Universities.

Edward850 said:

Yes. Deathmatch over the Dwango modem service was hella popular, and had (frequent?) tournaments. As well as in-house LANs over IPX, typically after-hours at offices and Universities.

Source?

NodEliteX5 said:

Source?

I was alive in the 1990s. I'm not sure how else you want me to source this as it was pre-internet (well, the internet existed, but you didn't really play multiplayer over it until Quake).

At best I could show you the DoomWiki page?

Edward850 said:

I was alive in the 1990s. I'm not sure how else you want me to source this as it was pre-internet (well, the internet existed, but you didn't really play multiplayer over it until Quake).

At best I could show you the DoomWiki page?

So what's the deal with all the SP/co-op wads for DOOM and DOOM 2 from all those years and now?

What about it? Do you want me to tell you about the shovelware discs, the Dwango compilation series, or the map editing that was still at some kind of weird infancy.

Edward850 said:

What about it? Do you want me to tell you about the shovelware discs, the Dwango compilation series, or the map editing that was still at some kind of weird infancy.

I'd figured someone like you would know how WADS became popular with Doom for all those years till now unless you really don't know then nevermind I guess.

1- Ehh.. Probably.
2- Y
3- Y

So what's the deal with all the SP/co-op wads for DOOM and DOOM 2 from all those years and now?

Uhhh.. What about all the SP/Coop wads? There's slightly more of them than there are Deathmatch/Duel wads, of which you can find tens of thousands from 1994 to today. Multiplayer Doom has always been quite popular and this myth that "Multiplayer was an afterthought" to the Doom franchise or whatever is ridiculous, the game was designed with multiplayer in mind from square one way back in early 1993. Additionally, I can't remember any time since 2001 where there weren't populated CSdoom/ZDaemon/Skulltag servers. Deathmatch/duel, especially in tournament form, has been a beloved aspect of Doom since 20 years ago and remains so today. Dwango5 Map01 is arguably one of the most played user-made maps of all time, having not waned even slightly in popularity since it's release in 1995.

Multiplayer is an intrinsic part of Doom. Anyone who denies this is entitled to their (completely incorrect) opinion though I guess!

Doomkid said:

Multiplayer is an intrinsic part of Doom. Anyone who denies this is entitled to their (completely incorrect) opinion though I guess!

I'd be more interested if this thread asked if anybody who doesn't think it was had actually played multiplayer Doom in the 90's. The only users I can find suggesting it wasn't is massivefanofdoom and NodEliteX5, both of whom registered for the release of Doom'16, so it almost feels like you need to explain that people did actually play multiplayer before server browsers and the .com boom (which isn't to say they can't be "old", but knowing why they say what they say would be a more productive use of a thread than a bunch of people posting Y and N).

Doomkid said:

1- Ehh.. Probably.
2- Y
3- Y

Uhhh.. What about all the SP/Coop wads? There's slightly more of them than there are Deathmatch/Duel wads, of which you can find tens of thousands from 1994 to today. Multiplayer Doom has always been quite popular and this myth that "Multiplayer was an afterthought" to the Doom franchise or whatever is ridiculous, the game was designed with multiplayer in mind from square one way back in early 1993. Additionally, I can't remember any time since 2001 where there weren't populated CSdoom/ZDaemon/Skulltag servers. Deathmatch/duel, especially in tournament form, has been a beloved aspect of Doom since 20 years ago and remains so today. Dwango5 Map01 is arguably one of the most played user-made maps of all time, having not waned even slightly in popularity since it's release in 1995.

An opinion is an opinion, there is no right or wrong when it comes to opinions.

Edward850 said:

I'd be more interested if this thread asked if anybody who doesn't think it was had actually played multiplayer Doom in the 90's. The only users I can find suggesting it wasn't is massivefanofdoom and NodEliteX5, both of whom registered for the release of Doom'16, so it almost feels like you need to explain that people did actually play multiplayer before server browsers and the .com boom (which isn't to say they can't be "old", but knowing why they say what they say would be a more productive use of a thread than a bunch of people posting Y and N).

Don't put words in my mouth, I've never said multiplayer wasn't part of DOOM in general.

NodEliteX5 said:

Don't put words in my mouth, I've never said multiplayer wasn't part of DOOM in general.

You've grossly misinterpreted my post. I never said you suggested it wasn't part of doom, I said you suggested it wasn't a popular and important part of Doom:

NodEliteX5 said:

But is that what made Doom 1 and 2 popular? The only multiplayer I can think of that was just as good as solo play was co-op.

Edward850 said:

You've grossly misinterpreted my post. I never said you suggested it wasn't part of doom, I said you suggested it wasn't a popular and important part of Doom:

Actually you misinterpreted my post, I've never said DOOM's competitive multiplayer wasn't popular, It was a question in which you were very vague with your answers especially the questions following right after that one.