Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
massivefanofdoom

How do you value Doom multiplayer?

NodEliteX5 said:

trolling (x99)

Stop with the useless offtopic rubbish already, please. Your very first post in this thread did not demonstrate much appreciation for multiplayer, however Edward and I disagree and posted evidence that MP has always been a big part of Doom history and accounts for a larger portion of the community than you'd think at a glance. For some reason this seemed to make you very upset - I have no idea why but it's time to drop it.

Doomkid said:

Edward and I disagree and posted evidence that MP has always been a big part of Doom history and accounts for a larger portion of the community than you'd think at a glance. For some reason this seemed to make you very upset

Not once did I say MP wasn't a part of DOOM I clearly stated that IF they did away with it in the sequel in favor of SP and snapmap that I wouldn't be that bothered by the decision, if anything my comment seem to upset you and then you decided to make this personal for no reason whatsoever and now you are trying to do a reversal with me on making me look like the instigator in this thread when it would've been over on the 1st page if you had minded your own business, not to mention you don't seem to want this conflict to end because you probably thrive off on it by trying to get the last word despite you asking me to stop yet you keep going even though I'm talking to someone else. Edward is a big boy so I'm sure he can handle things on his own.

Doomkid said:

Stop with the useless offtopic rubbish already, please. Your very first post in this thread did not demonstrate much appreciation for multiplayer, however Edward and I disagree and posted evidence that MP has always been a big part of Doom history and accounts for a larger portion of the community than you'd think at a glance. For some reason this seemed to make you very upset - I have no idea why but it's time to drop it.

He seems insistent on saying I'm trolling him when I'm really, really not. It's probably best just to ignore him at this point. (He started accusing me when I said I was a game dev. Is that it, am I not allowed to say that? Do I need a note from an admin to say such things? Whatever, it's not really worth it at this point.)

Edward850 said:

It's probably best just to ignore him at this point.

I was going to say it earlier but this guy is just trolling, it's why I gave up in another thread, you can prove one thing wrong, he'll ignore it and nitpick another little detail, strawman replies, he askes questions that no matter how you answer he can attack your position. It's a waist of time. NB4 nodelite quotes me trying to argue more, don't expect a responce because I'm done with you waisting my time.

MrGlide said:

I was going to say it earlier but this guy is just trolling, it's why I gave up in another thread, you can prove one thing wrong, he'll ignore it and nitpick another little detail, strawman replies, he askes questions that no matter how you answer he can attack your position. It's a waist of time. NB4 nodelite quotes me trying to argue more, don't expect a responce because I'm done with you waisting my time.

You said that before and yet you reply anyways, real smart (sarcasm).

Almonds said:

these forums are chockfull of shitposting on a near daily basis, yes.

Only this part of the forum.

ArchangelOfHell said:

Afrer finally connecting this PS4 online Ive found multiplayer to be extremely fun and competitive. Overall much better than what it was given credit for.

It's been balanced out better than it was in the beginning.

Rocket spams are nearly gone thankfully, Most players seem to have changed their loadouts, There are still very few players who spam rockets but those are probably just not aware of latest weapon changes .

I don't play MP anymore because I failed at trying too like load outs. Just not for me. I was hoping classic deathmatch may give the option but nope.

massivefanofdoom said:

Impactful, yes. Important nowadays, or even remembered, probably not so much. How many people are still playing doom mp? And how many of them are playing it sp even now doom 2016 is out?

Relative to the SP 'movement' behind this game, I personally still feel it was a drop in the ocean. Again, I'd probably need statistics.

And in terms of importance to the entire genre. In terms of what is more important to FPS's when you split them up into SP and MP, names like quake2 quake3 and unreal tournet are more seminal to the MP while doom, half life, unreal1, quake1, duke3d, shadow warrior, blood are more leaning towards always having catered for HC SP crowds, and games being remembered way more for their engrossing sp experience rather than their mp.

That's the problem because there are no statistics. But sometimes you can get a feel of something and so I don't think the pie / cake thing was a good example.

LOL, how old are you?? I think you donĀ“t know what are you talking about.

Most of those games if not all, were very very important when it came to MP.

Also a lot of people still play Classic Doom games in MP.

Wild Dog said:

[Citation needed]

ArchangelOfHell said:

Afrer finally connecting this PS4 online Ive found multiplayer to be extremely fun and competitive. Overall much better than what it was given credit for.

Unfortunately now the player base in terms of mp is dying, I hardly find objective based matches to play.

NodEliteX5 said:

[Citation needed]

HAHAHAH, no i donĀ“t need citation for that. Anyone over 27 knows what iĀ“m talking about. Hell i still remember all the nights i wasted playing Crossfire on HL.

But hell keep saying that those games did not have an important MP. ItĀ“s quite funny to see that.

Wild Dog said:

HAHAHAH, no i donĀ“t need citation for that. Anyone over 27 knows what iĀ“m talking about. Hell i still remember all the nights i wasted playing Crossfire on HL.

But hell keep saying that those games did not have an important MP. ItĀ“s quite funny to see that.

Doom may have invented mp but id software did a much better job with mp when they made Quake 3 arena and it's rival at the time was Unreal Tournament which was another arena shooter.

Half Life and Quake 1 had a huge impact on the multiplayer and modding scene. Why do you think the Quake series become progressively more multiplayer focused in the first place? All the modern MP games like on the market today owe their existence to these two games, not the arena shooters, which may finally see a tiny resurgence.

Use3D said:

Half Life and Quake 1 had a huge impact on the multiplayer and modding scene. Why do you think the Quake series become progressively more multiplayer focused in the first place? All the modern MP games like on the market today owe their existence to these two games, not the arena shooters, which may finally see a tiny resurgence.

So is this argument about the origins of mp? offline mp with humans and bots vs online mp? Co-op? Etc. Make up your minds people.

NodEliteX5 said:

So is this argument about the origins of mp? offline mp with humans and bots vs online mp? Co-op? Etc. Make up your minds people.

It's a response to your own statements of the importance of these games to the genre of current FPS multiplayer, conventions of which Doom4 itself borrows from. Sorry if that was too obtuse.

I started playing it after I got bored with the SP campaign (finished it on HMP, UV, Nightmare).

Usually I ignore the Hack Modules.

The good: It's fast paced, no lags, weapons feel punshy, playing gets rewarded (additional weapons).

The bad: The balancing of the match making seems kind of weird. Do they even consider player stats/skills?

na not really, often people will be teamed up and roller other players all the time. While id's fps are good, I've never seen their matchmaking be all that great.

No, yes, yes.

Everytime I go back to Doom is to play some competitive multiplayer. I was done with the campaign after the second playthrough, and the arcade mode is not enough to keep me interested.

Wild Dog said:

That's not a valid argument. That's an insult / accusation / instigation I shall not entertain. I feel like on these forums, everytime you don't post something another person likes or they don't agree with it, you are in for a shitstorm. Well hell, it's hard to please everyone all the time.

PS I am 31 yo, thank you.

Wild Dog said:

Never stated otherwise and you keep missing the point

Why are you arguing over a message from a month ago, do you just not know how to stop being hung up on something?