Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raymoohawk

what is your prefered control scheme?

i use pretty much modern wasd controls, but i still fire with ctrl and press use with spacebar for some reason. i used to be keyboard only until 2015 because i thought it was weird to use a mouse if you where only gonna aim horizontally, but now i play with mouse. i still avoid vertical mouselook unless the wad or mod requires it thoug. i usually toggle always run on, rather than hold down a run key

ASWD for movement, E or Space for activate, Mouse for viewing and shooting obviously, and Shift for run with capslock for activated run. That's pretty much it.

WASD --> Moving
Mouse --> Aiming
Left Mouse Buttom --> Fire
Right Mouse Buttom --> Open Doors

Zdoom only:
CTRL --> Alt.Fire
Space --> Jump
C --> Crouch
Left/Right arrows --> Cycle through inventory
E --> Use selected item

WASD for movement.
E for use/interact.
Space/Ctrl for Jump/Crouch.
And mouselook to Chaingun tap hitscanners across the map. If I'm recording a demo I'll still have freelook on without the aim because horizontal only view feels awful for me.

Similar threads: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/90299-doom-control-scheme/

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/89863-what-is-your-movment-set-up-or-speed-running-set-up/

Doomkid said:

Relatively traditional WSDA + mouse setup, however for sr50 I set the strafe button as the middle mouse button. Makes it far easier to pull off, for me anyway. I almost never sr50 in deathmatch or duel though, its too finicky for me to really rely on it. I usually use it to escape huge hordes in SP and survival since you have just a tiny bit more time to react/maneuver.

Doomkid said:

I use the common WSDA+Mouse setup, I was converted from the old control setup by my brother in ~'03 or so and never looked back.

Just realised I never actually listed my proper controls in either of those posts..

WSDA for movement
Right click to open doors
Left click to fire
Space for jumping (when enabled)
C for crouch (when enabled)

I set the mouse sensitivity extremely high and don't use mouse acceleration. If for some reason I don't have a mouse I can sub in the arrow keys but that's way less fluent of course.

WASD movement
Q is rl
R is chaingun
F is pg
C is ssg
X is pistol
2 is sg
3 is fist
R is BFG
M1 is shoot
Space is use

i also set mouse sensitivity extremely high, not just on doom, but on pretty much any fps, i just feel like block if i cant have my twitchy mouse XD

NORMAL

Mouse look = On
wasd = movement
e = use
r = reload (if available)
number keys 1-9 or mouse wheel = weapon selection
space = jump
ctrl = crouch
mouse 1 = fire
mouse 2 = secondary fire (if available)
q = (depends on what mod I am playing) usually kick for BD & PB
k = taunt
t = type
~ = console
esc = menu

I mostly just play vanilla wads, so while I use more modern controls like WASD for movement and mouse look, I still keep jumping/crouching turned off and keep the mouse look locked to horizontal-only.

WASD - movement.
Space - use.
Mouse - horizontal turning.
LMB - fire.
I tried binding turning to Q and E so I could SR50 by pressing Alt+W+E or Alt+W+Q, but it feels weird and I'm not sure I'm doing it right anyway.
Also, no mouselook and vanilla weapon selection with 1-7.

These days I'm a keyboarder.

WASD: movement
Q/E: previous/next weapon
Control: toggle autorun
Shift: jump
Space: use
J/L: turn left/right
U/O: look up/down
Y/H: inventory previous/next
K: fire
I: inventory use

^ Lol Blastfrog, are you playing Doom on a C64/Spectrum? ;-)

boring old WASD
the only thing I do slightly unusually is have Strafe On bound to right click since more and more maps want you to strafe jump

Keyboard:
WADS - Move
E - Use
F - Fire
Q - Jump
C - Crouch
R - Reload
Z - Zoom
<> - Switch Items
Enter - Use Item

Mouse:
Wheel - Change Weapons
Left - Fire
Right - Use

WASD / mouse with the weapons bound to Q,E,R and 1-4. Space is use. Like PureSlime I keep jumping and crouching turned off, and keep the mouselook locked to horizontal-only unless I'm playing something explicitly designed for freelook.

Keyboard only, classic controls:

Right hand - arrow keys (moving and turning).

Left hand - ctrl, shift, alt, spacebar (shoot, sprint, strafe, open/use). Also use left hand to change weapons on 1-7.

Moving: WASD
Fire: Left Mouse
Move Forward: Middle Mouse
Open Door/Use: Right Mouse/Space
Jump: "j"

I use an X-Box 360 controller. I don't have an index finger on my left hand and on my right hand I miss both my index finger and and my middle finger so using a keyboard for playing games is kinda hard for me.

I have the controls set up like this:

L-stick: Move/Strafe
R-stick: Look/Turn
LB: Fire
RB: Alt-Fire for the two or so wads I have that use it.
A: Use
B: Jump
Y: Crouch
D-Pad left and right: Change Weapons
D-Pad up and down: cycle trough inventory in Heretic and Hexen
Start: Use item

These controls may look odd but they work really well for me.

^ I know it's a sensitive topic, but if I really had to complement my means of control beyond my hands/fingers, I'd go with pedals, taking insipiration from aircraft controls: they could substitute turning (yaw) or strafing (roll).

Also, using a flight sim stick mapped to Doomguy's movements could work (actually, Doomguy moves quite similar to a helicopter/hovercraft).

I really want to try playing doom with a flight stick, been thinking about that for awhile now.

If I have freelook up and down enabled? A Steam Controller. Weapon slots are on a radial menu accessed via the thumbstick. Left trackpad is movement; inner ring to walk, outer ring to sprint. Aiming is a combination of the gyro and the right pad.

WASD
Mouse 1 - Fire
Mouse 2 - Use/Open
Mouse 3/Mouse 5/E - Altfire
C/Ctrl - Crouch
Spacebar - Jump
GHJKLXZV - Mod bindings when needed

Cheat bindings:
Q - noclip
E - nextmap
F - resurrect
X - mdk
V - summon monster
P - chase

WASD for movement, Q and E — turn left and right, R — Jump, Ctrl and/or left mouse button — fire, right mouse button — use, mouse wheel and Alt — strafe on, V — turn180, Mouse wheel forward and backward — next and previous weapon. ZDoom-based ports binds: Z — toggle autoaim, X — toggle freelook/novert (well, useful in PrB+ too), Home — change pitch to 0. If I don't use mouse, I use up and down arrows for looking up and down (obviously).

When I first got a computer and switched from keyboard only, I remember just setting it up in a way that felt natural and it was WASD. Then when I came online and realized something I had made up was already a thing to everyone else it was quite amusing.

After a couple of years though I became controller only. Even for really complicated games that shouldn't be possible without a keyboard I always find a way to map it out so I can use a controller.
I spend almost every non-gaming waking moment with a keyboard and mouse doing work, so I don't feel like sitting in that same position when I'm trying to enjoy myself as well. And since I only play single player games, I don't need the edge a mouse provides. Never come across a mapset I couldn't beat on UV with my gamepad.

MrGlide said:

I really want to try playing doom with a flight stick, been thinking about that for awhile now.

Odd as it may seem, using two joysticks in conjunction works well for Doom. The left joystick strafes and walks forward, the right one does the mouselook. Use the right trigger for fire, and right rear-buttons for opening doors, use the left trigger for alt. fire (if applicable) and use the rear buttons for next weapon, previous weapon, activating the minimap and actually pausing the game. If Doom had been ported to arcade machines back in the day, I think this would have been the most practical control scheme.

WASD movement, weapon switch using 1-0 keys and mouse buttons, mouse aim, jumping and crouching with J and C, respectively, but only on wads that they are OK to be used with, and R for third person view.

8456 for movement.
7 for automap toggle
3 for crouch toggle
1 for clean screenshot
029/*-+<ENTER><BACKSPACE> for misc. actions when games/mods need to bind more special keys

Mouse:
button 1: shoot
button 2: jump
button 3: use inventory
button 4: use/activate
button 5: alt. fire shoot
wheel up: next wep.
wheel down: prev. wep.
wheel tilt right: next item
wheel tilt left: prev. item

WASD for movement.

Space bar as a USE key.

Left Shift as a run button.

Mouse to aim & turn. (No vertical aiming unless a mod requires.)

Used to be keyboard only till I moved on from it.