Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HorrorMovieRei

Polishing the Combat Slug

So today I gave polishing the Combat Slug a try. This is the result:
(these are the only completed frames atm)

I know I missed a few pixel artifacts around the edges, but I'll remove them eventually. But aside from that, I'm thinking that I may also have to re draw the cannons, because they keep changing proportions, which is very noticeable in motion.
So, thoughts? Suggestions?

I remember when Raymoo made that. But since he's got a lot on his plate making 3 monsters simultaneously, from scratch, and a few other misc things, I thought I'd take up the job of polishing the slug, which is not as urgent as the other things he's doing.

Here's an idea: use both. Raymoo did 5 angles of one frame, but you did one angle of a full animation cycle. I suggest incorporating elements of Raymoo's version into the existing animation (such as the revamped launchers and additional wires), and use the rest of his frames to have a starting point on the animation cycles for the other angles.

Yeah, use raymoohawk's style and continue it. That way, raymoohawk can finish his Pestmeister and you can finish the combat slug.

thanks for taking the initiative horromovieguy :)

i actually regret changing the cannons in my version, so i'll leave it up to you to if you want the rounded ones i made or the original angular ones, tho i now think the original angular ones look better

RonLivingston said:

is raymoohawk making more progress on the tan combat slug?

I don't think so.

raymoohawk said:

thanks for taking the initiative horromovieguy :)

i actually regret changing the cannons in my version, so i'll leave it up to you to if you want the rounded ones i made or the original angular ones, tho i now think the original angular ones look better

raymoohawk said:

Indeed, please keep the rectangular guns.

Yeah, I think I'll keep the rectangular guns, but I'll borrow a few things from Raymoohawk's design too, like the wires and the laser-pointer-looking things on the side of his cannon.

The walking frames are all mostly complete(except for the cannon). I haven't progressed much since, but after this week is over I'll be able to get back to it.

Has any progress been made on this? It's been over five months since the last update.

I wanna apologize for the hiatus, and also want to let everyone know that I am indeed still working on this. I got a more clear view of how I'm gonna approach this task, and I'm gonna be posting progress very soon.

Walking frames are 100% done. I've decided to leave the old cannons, but I gave them a more metallic look, and I fixed the inconsistent size between frames.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sujsa53hozoxybb/0slug.wad?dl=1

wSKSyjD.png

Β 

I'll be posting the other animations as I go along, but in the following days I'll also post the WIP frames too, just so we have something for the daily builds.

Looking great there! Only issue I have is that the backside looks too plump and smooth, but I understand its a WIP. I thought it was cool how you could see the bones stretching against the skin and all, but an improvement nonetheless.

On β€Ž6β€Ž/β€Ž5β€Ž/β€Ž2017 at 2:42 PM, HorrorMovieGuy said:

Walking frames are 100% done. I've decided to leave the old cannons, but I gave them a more metallic look, and I fixed the inconsistent size between frames.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sujsa53hozoxybb/0slug.wad?dl=1

wSKSyjD.png

Β 

I'll be posting the other animations as I go along, but in the following days I'll also post the WIP frames too, just so we have something for the daily builds.

How are you doing on the firing animation?

One suggestion I would have is to make his walk cycle a bit more "grounded". Playing the game, it often looks like he's floating while walking around because his grounded feet are not firmly planted on the ground, but lifted up at a weird half angle, and his tail is lifted in the air. It doesn't really convey that this guy is supposed to be heavy. I think making the cycle more grounded would better convey that this thing really is a slug.

10 hours ago, Doctor Nick said:

One suggestion I would have is to make his walk cycle a bit more "grounded". Playing the game, it often looks like he's floating while walking around because his grounded feet are not firmly planted on the ground, but lifted up at a weird half angle, and his tail is lifted in the air. It doesn't really convey that this guy is supposed to be heavy. I think making the cycle more grounded would better convey that this thing really is a slug.

I think that theΒ "foot" you're talking about is actually its elbow

So, no further progress with this so far? Would it make sense to contribute the walking frames to the repo while keeping the rest of the animations incomplete?