Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannonball

Sparta 2 - Project Vesuvius - Idgames release

This is a 19 map wad consisting of old scrap maps, concept maps and a few new maps stitched together to make something which is thematically consistent for the most part.
The theme is split mostly into 2 - the first 11 maps a mix of metal/brick mixed with redrock, to resemble the hot volcanic environment. The second episode is standard hell for the most part.

Download

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/s2pv

For boom compatible ports

Images

Don't expect too much here, but hopefully there will be a few hours of fun to be had and maybe a few surprises as well. Just for general information, here is how I perceive at least the difficulty of these maps.
Maps 01-04 - Easy
Maps 05-08 - Medium
Maps 09-11 - Hard
Maps 12-17 - Very hard
The secret maps are moderately difficult.
Many thanks to tourniquet, Larzuk and Nevan for testing this and helping me fix the many stupid mistakes that were in this wad prior to this beta.

Maplist

1 - Don't look back
2 - Slime pits
3 - Outer base
4 - Miasma
5 - Scolding scythe
6 - Borehole
7 - Dead cliche
8 - Fort of pain
9 - Crater base
10 - Red heat
11 - Core infestation
12 - The pain maze
13 - Exposure
14 - Infestation breach
15 - Brimstone keep
16 - Crimson Cascade
17 - Eternal bloodlust
31 - Meteor rain
32 - Crossfire

Screenies look nice; what's the intended compatibility?

*Edit*

v Ah sweet man; <3 Boom. I look forward to playing this when I get the chance

Fonze said:

Screenies look nice; what's the intended compatibility?

It is for boom compatible ports, there is always something I forget when I make posts.

I'm a big fan of your work, cannonball, and while I certainly agree with the common acknowledgement of your role in keeping the Ultimate Doom boat from sinking down with your notable contributions - I personally find UD lacking the vital additions of D2 and thus to me it's inferior since all those things that pretty much define all the fun for me are missing, and so while it was cool to see an occasional map for D2 from you here, then another one there - I was craving for a much bigger work of yours in that regard. So - huge thanks for the mere fact of posting this, it seems that my telepathic supplications have reached you!

Sadly that's it for now, I was only able to check out a couple maps and it was a promising start, once again you demonstrate your prowess in merging that "modern classic" Vile Flesh-like visual and architectural style with contemporary standards in gameplay department, I'm pretty certain I won't leave disappointed in the end. It's a shame there's so little free time for quality dooming and so many things to do IRL these days, so getting there is going to take some time, that's for sure.

Went faster than I expected... for the most part. FDAs that can hopefully be an acceptable addition to beer and popcorn and whatever, been a while since I last recorded those on anything bigger than just single maps. A number of deaths, most notably on 12, 32 and 16. 16 is a DNF, it's in the zip but I wouldn't advise watching it, really. Pretty much consumed the major part of my evening, so I had to stop since otherwise this would've been a sleepless night. Fiendishly difficult map with pretty much every encounter being a lethal maelstrom, will finish it sometime later.

I have to make it clear right away that demos for 03, 08 and 09 aren't legit FDAs, I've seen these maps earlier in other projects and was able to recognize them despite them being reworked in parts. Well, consider those SDAs or slow-ass casual maxes if you like.

Also, 15 looked like dramatically reworked "Firestarter" from SF3 to me, or maybe I'm just imagining things. Somewhat familiar opening shot, yet totally different map otherwise.

That's it for the demos, some misc thoughts below:

- seeing the reworked version of "Wavebreaker" as map 09 made me feel somewhat sad, I can only hope that you won't insist on expelling the original version from SF3 like some of the authors already did with some of the maps. I personally think that your submissions were - and are - the essential part of any SF you contribute to, please let them be;

- 16 seems to have some serious ammo issues, I'm not sure how am I supposed to deal with some of the fights in less awkward ways than I did with the supplies I had. 2-shotting cybers would be a solution if it wasn't so risky and mostly quite inconvenient to do. The YSK fight has loads of everything, but prior to that I felt a bit too dry on ammo frequently enough to start feeling the need to mention it.

Overall though, I've definitely got what I wanted. If these are your scrapmaps, then I can't imagine the level of grandeur your "regular" Doom 2 megawad would demonstrate. Still, I hope to experience the feeling one day.

In the end - really cool mapset with lots of fun and varied action, each map has its own flavor, and together they create one hell of a ride for an action-hungry player. It's hard for me to come up with favorites, even, lots of great stuff to be found in here. And some issues - hell, everything has them, they don't spoil the show. On the contrary, I must complement you for not being afraid of being really evil at times.

Thank you, and keep up the great work!

=========================================

ADDED 09/20: Yes, you're right - I utterly failed to notice that the invul in the main area of 16 is available from the get-go, was sure its reveal was triggered by both colored switches. Well, it's a good thing that today I've got the feeling that I was missing something, and... yeah. That's a very good thing to help conserve some ammo since it helps reducing panic shooting to a minimum in specific spots.

My retaliation for yesterday's failures was surprisingly swift, a shame I turned the recording off as it would've been quite funny to watch, so many hilarious moments in my exit, and most of them were in my favor, so I was able to conserve even more ammo via some really lucky infighting and was feeling comfortably stocked this time around. Still, I believe even without all that I was still doing it wrong yesterday thanks to my embarrassing inattentiveness, that invul really helps in that regard. So sorry for misleading comment on this particular map, no more complaints regarding ammo balance.

And props for the finale, I nearly got my heart dropped upon seeing that cyber platoon teleporting onto the battlefield just several meters ahead of me. Frantic stuff, quite an adrenaline booster.

Sweet, cheers for the demos demonologist, I shall endeavour to see the lot as soon as possible.
Good spot of 15, it was made from scratch but it was based on the main area of firestarter from the SF2013 development thread, I just considered it another go at it from a fresh start. Wavebreaker will remain though I will try to work on it further to differentiate the two maps from each other so I might try to build some extra fights into that map for SF2013.
Anyway I am glad you enjoyed this and hopefully I will get some more doom 2 stuff done in the near future.

We're thinking of having this on Thursday Night Survival this week, would that be ok? I think we could also run it with the first WAD since there don't seem to be any conflicts between the two.

MORE CANNONBALL YEEEAAA BUDDY! Can't currently run through these for some time but this is definitely going into the "must play" pile. Even small maps from you have their charm, so I'm ready to be delighted when I dive in.

That is absolutely fine Eris, it will give me the opportunity to see whether there is anything that breaks in co-op at least... and also make sure I attend the session this week haha.

TNS thread, everyone invited, if previous cannonball maps are anything to go by, this should be a good session!

btw, the start of MAP07 reminds me a lot of the start of that old Dead Simple I made for d2ino, haha.

Downloaded. You can never have too much cannonball. I'll get to it as soon as I can clear some of my massive workload.

Beta 2 is here
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2aah573gsosmh2d/S2PVb2.zip

This should improve multiplayer gameplay, also there have been a few changes in regards to some encounters in a couple of maps as well as some cosmetic changes.
If there are no problems then I will probably upload the final version later this week.
Cheers to Eris and TNS crew for playing this on Thursday as it has certainly helped the multiplayer aspect of this project, also thank to Demonologist for playing these maps and providing useful demos and feedback.

Cool! Have a stupidly lame FDA for the new m13 if you like, it can give you a good laugh (and point towards some stuck monsters...), among other things. At least sometimes I have to demonstrate that, in truth, I suck at this game.
Nice map, thanks for making the fun even longer!

Cheers again and the demo helped me spot a clanger (A couple of stuck monsters due to incorrect difficulty settings used for a couple of HKs).
Anyway it's time to move on and release this wad. Here is a mediafire link for now until it is uploaded to idgames.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/hpswt9r2c3wssfr/S2PV.zip

Cheers for the feedback from playtesters and people on here again.