Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RyoAsuka

Dusk - Hexen + Quake + Doom

To be completely fair to Doom remixes, a lot of tracks in Doom 2 are basically straight MIDIs of metal songs.

So after looking into this a bit further, the author of this game has this up for free. https://jefequeso.itch.io/pit-the-bite-sized-shooter . Looks fun to me, pit does and so does this new game dusk. Do the aesthetics look all the great? They don't knock me out but I'm not reeling at them, What I do want to say is this game looks like fun, and that's the most important thing to me personally. I will be watching this. Is there a steam greenlight page? Where can we keep an eye on this or help support it? I saw no mention in the artical. As for andrews take on the doom soundtrack I enjoyed them as an interpritation. You've got metal doom, industrial doom, spooky atmospheric psx doom. I think he did good for what it was aiming for.

dethtoll said:

To be completely fair to Doom remixes, a lot of tracks in Doom 2 are basically straight MIDIs of metal songs.

Not to get too nerdy, but it's more like MIDIS of metal songs arranged as 12 bars blues tunes.

dethtoll said:

The only thing I dislike from the 5th-gen console era is the Playstation's lack of z-buffer which led to the jittery textures and warped polygons. Well, that and the N64's awful, awful texture filtering.

The PSX didn't use perspective correction in texture mapping, which caused wobbly textures. The lack of a Z-buffer potentionally could cause sorting issues, in deciding which which polygons were drawn first, but didn't cause any warping in and of itself.

The N64's texture filtering was itself not a problem, it just had a lack of memory being cartridge based, so it used low-res textures which made things very blurry.

So I have watched this video a while ago and I think this game looks like total crap. It's the very definition of trying too desperately hard to be oldschool and completely missing the point in the process. Yet another nostalgia bait for people who can't get over the fact that we're not in the 90s anymore. DOOM! Quake! Heretic! Notice me senpai!

Looks like a fair to good game. Maps are a bit cluster phobic, but its a good way to learn when you're shooting down a hallway. If I wanted to go on a nit pick spree I can go down the "poor hallway map design." The cluster phobia adds to the experience, even if people complain modern shooters are hallway shooters.

I can only hope the game opens up more as it progresses. I like the look of the enemies, scarecrow with a shotgun and bag faced chainsaws. Dual wielding scythes looks like it could be fun.

Jim was real pleasant in the video. I've seen him tear a new asshole for modern indie first person shooters.

This is just a bit of a nostalgia trip for some people but as an actual fame, it will not make a blimp on anyone's radar. This effort is not worth these pages of discussion :D

It is just a simplistic gimmicky little thing. Maybe if the maps were memorable but they are not from what I have seen.

Looked cool. Hopefully they add some "weight" to the objects you pick up so the crates/boxes don't bounce off each other as if they were made of rubber.

Overall it looked totally badass to be honest.

Jaxxoon R said:

The guy in the video liked it, so I'm not sure why you chose it as an example.

The fact that he liked it does not prevent me from making my own judgement. Also, that's the one that I've seen and I didn't feel like looking for someone likeminded just to make my point seem more valid. It's just my opinion after all.

This game looks UGLY as hell. If he wants to make a game that resembles Quake, he needs to have an actual artstyle instead of just making low quality textures.

At least the levels are hand-made.

After playing Devil Daggers, and loving it for what it is (A Shoot 'Em Up with FPS mechanics distilled down to the very basics), I ADORE the definition and detail in the monster models despite their low poly count. Plus the sound design is fantastic and the one song I heard (the menu) instantly reminded me of the hard hitting 90's Industrial music you'd hear from Reznor.

Look at the models on their blog site: http://devildaggers.com/

It makes me wish some indies would realize reducing the amount of polygons or pixels you use isn't really enough. Artists packed their sprites and textures full of detail.

The level design looks kind of barren, the textures are bland, the weapons look to only serve as blatant nods to classic FPS (like that magic crossbow) and everything lacks the detail as mentioned, but I think one of the most important things a game can have is a cohesive aesthetic.

If you take Quake as an example, which DUSK is obviously inspired by, the world of Quake is grimy, all the monsters look like strange horrors drenched in blood, all the textures are dirty with greys, browns and blues. Lots of rustic looking textures and stone covered in filth. Despite the mess that was Quake's development, they still made it all come together which is impressive.

The sound and music really tightly string it together, and what you get is a depressive and aggressive sounding game with guttural gibbing and punchy blasts and explosions going off as monsters roar out at you.

This makes a game more enjoyable to play because you're not being ripped out of the game's world when you see something jarring. It makes it feel believable despite the fact Quake's levels are just a bunch of random rooms with traps and monsters.

DUSK on the other hand looks like a jumbled mess of ideas from the FPS of old thrown together into boring and bland looking levels. STRAFE may not have dedicated levels but again, if has a tight aesthetic and it looks more like a 90's FPS than DUSK does currently, as a result I'm more eager to play STRAFE.

One thing that worries me about this is the setup and design of the levels shown. I know, it's still in its alpha, but the map design screams either laziness or inexperience, which combines with the detailing of the models/guns/textures/etc has me a bit worried about the eventual quality of this game. I'll likely just wait for the YouTube videos and player reviews to come out before seriously considering buying and investing time into the game.

Actually the people who complain are true - this looks really weak and low-effort. The fact they used Unity, which solves 50 percent of development for you and serves it on silver plate, makes it even worse - cause I am not sure about the compatibility of this with GPUs that dont support GLSL shaders.

NinjaLiquidator said:

Actually the people who complain are true - this looks really weak and low-effort. The fact they used Unity, which solves 50 percent of development for you and serves it on silver plate, makes it even worse - cause I am not sure about the compatibility of this with GPUs that dont support GLSL shaders.

Yet Unity games tend to be terrible, although as more time goes on there are a few better games. Its like how GameMaker has 1 hit game per year.

I'm surprised it was made in Unity. I did believe it was a Quake - ish engine (never can be too sure what's the Quake engine and what's an offshoot).

geo said:

Yet Unity games tend to be terrible, although as more time goes on there are a few better games. Its like how GameMaker has 1 hit game per year.

There is a reason for that. It requires less skill. Dont get me wrong - I dont have anything agaist Unity cause Unity itself is fine - it can do A LOT of things and can be helpful - I understand using of Unity or another commercial engines by designer-oriented teams without formidable programmer, but in 90 percents they are used by beginners or lazy bastards. Personally I didnt even tried to do a game in Unity, cause its not attractive for me - but I guess that it turns a lot of things into black box - like lighting models, collision detection, animation, model editor, format conversions, networking, OS compatibility etc. ,so anyone who is using it will get magnitudes less satisfaction, knowledge and fun than bare OpenGL/DirectX guys.

I'm pretty sure Chasm: The Rift is a better game in every respect and it's nearly 20 years old.

Mr. Freeze said:

Ewwwwww. Ew. Blech, more chugga chugga widdly-wah widdly bullshit. Christ.

Seriously. Put the wah pedal away before I take it away.

David posted some pre pre pre test alphas of dusk on the NewBlood discord nothing much in them but he's fine with people linking those alphas to other people because they look completely different to the final product. I have most of the pre pre pre alphas.

Forgive me if it's already been said (lol) but the Heretic-ish crossbow looks like it's shooting radioactive cock'n'balls...

xsSraZRaqbkzHqkDKRmTpg-650-80.png.7c11c8dab24e74e6eeb68c6c2213cd84.png

*giggles*

Guys, I don't know about this. I am somewhere in the middle.

First of all let me talk about the gameplay. As far as I have seen, it seems to be a mix of our favourite games' mechanics (Doom, Quake, Heretic e.t.c.) with a few more modern twists (for an example you can move objects in the game). And I enjoyed seeing Mach speeds return to a game plus having flips on the air and Terminator reloads. I think I will love it in the gameplay aspect and there is not much to say here that you don't already know.

Then there is graphics. The graphics in this game take influence 99% from Quake, which is one of the most modern 90s FPSs and it is a good overall choice. But I didn't appreciate the textures being so washed out, poorly done and reused over and over in some areas, just for the sake of nostalgia. Some eye candy would be appreciated after all these years (like textures other than planks on the mines and more varied textures of trees on the outside). Can there not be a bit of balance on the graphics after 2 decades? Quake had a bland look to it , yes, which helped its atmosphere, but it is so polished even for today's standards (look at its metal textures), while Dusk might feel a little boring to me from an observer's stand point after a long while (might be the redneck setting that I don't like). And I don't know if the developer did the old look for saving time or to pay homage to Quake. Most likely both. Still Doom has taught me that graphics aren't everything and I will respect the developer's choice of graphics (don't forget that we don't have the full game in front of us, so judging is a bit hard at the moment) and looks won't bother me at all if the gameplay is good.

Now let me say about the music. It's Quake 100%. Ambient sounds and stuff, that fit perfectly with the overall aesthetic. Props to the guy who wrote the soundtrack or the sound (don't know what to call it).

To sum up, Dusk is a game I am waiting to play and I think it will deliver what it promised us, despite the things I said above, about graphics, not seeming so positive. And don't see me as someone who hates the game. I don't. And I am not a <<gimme only graphics and smooth framerate>> person to clear out one thing. I love Doom, I love Heretic, I love Quake and I don't care about graphics in these games. But I think we have moved from the 80s and the 90s. You all know that. And nostalgia for the past is something unique in its own way. We can live with it (it is a part of ourselves), yet we shouldn't let it on the loose all the time. Because if we do then there will be parasites who will try to benefit from that. I am talking about those idiots who make 3d games and then strap on some 2d enemy and character sprites or make all textures squares to resemble pixels and call it Retro. They may have never played an old game in their lives, yet they try to cash in from making "retro" games (disgusting). And here is where Dusk will play its role. It isn't a cash in from what I have seen. It is what it is supposed to be. A game which returns to the roots of the genre and helps in reconstructing what is today's FPS market (yeah I am ambitious, but hope is always welcome).

The bad graphics don't bother me so much as the...incredibly suspect...art direction.  To be frank, it looks like a poorly put together Quake total conversion from 1997, or a shovelware FPS from a year or two later.  As a reminder, this is what Quake 1 looked like:

tumblr_o6cn0alxBH1u34e3ko1_1280.png

Despite being able to count the polygons, it still looks pretty nice.

It is possible to make good looking games with few polygons.  Dusk falls short.

Edited by AlexMax

I really don't get games like this. It just feels like they wanted to make a modern shooter, but somewhere along the line they said "fuck it, let's make something easy instead and call it retro".

I always wonder this: if you're a developer trying to convey some sort of nostalgia for an old id Software game, why not just make your game using that tech? Both Doom and Quake's technologies are open source and have numerous ports you can choose from. I feel like this game would fare a lot better if it was made on the Darkplaces engine. That would seem like a perfect fit for it, because Darkplaces is meant to run a game like Quake that has similar functionality. Something like Unity clearly doesn't.

For some reason, I find Quake 2 to be more pleasing to the eyes than Dusk.

It looks like one of those budget FPS games that you see in a bargain bin. 

Dusk is going to have three different episodes with different themes. Episode 1 is going to be set on a farm/swamp theme as episode 2 is going to be set something.. i dunno. but episode there is going to be "all out over the place" according to David. also along with a whole lot of other stuff. 

looks neat to me, as long as it's a fair price I'll prolly get it on release. I will be honest that I'm a bit more excited about strafe then this one.