Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mewdoom

Zdoom - how to include files from subfolders ?

Hello guys,

what is the syntax to include files in sub-folders in decorate.txt ?

I try many syntax and it doesnt work, zdoom.exe tell me everytime: could not find script lump "monsters/mymonster.txt"

I try the syntax in my decorate.txt file

#include "monsters\lostsoul.txt"

I also try that syntax:

#include "\monsters\lostsoul.txt"

and that

#include ".\monsters\lostsoul.txt"

no success, what I am doing wrong ?

The first one is correct, it points to the file lostsoul.txt inside the folder monsters, i assume your error is that the "monsters" folder is inside the "actors" folder, which would make it "#Include "Actors/Monsters/LostSoul.txt", but we can not know for sure unless you show us your pk3 file to see how your files are laid out.

Take a look at the zdoom.pk3 or gzdoom.pk3 that comes with either engine, or zandronum.pk3 in case of zandy, look for decorate.txt to see an example of a working include list.

The reason it's not working has nothing to do with an Actors folder.
I see you have been using backslashes as directory sepatators. You have to use forward slashes instead, as is standard everywhere except Windows.

Ok because I also try the slash "/" and stil doesnt work ..

#include "monsters/ssww.txt"

my absolute path is:
c:\doom\
wich I have zdoom.exe

I have the folder decorate:
c:\doom\decorate\
inside I have decorate.txt

I have monsters folder inside decorate folder:
c:\doom\decorate\monsters\

inside I have ssww.txt

Note: If I put ssww.txt inside decorate folder and I use:
#include "ssww.txt"

It work fine! But not inside a sub-folder

So are you talking about folders inside a pk3 file, or folders on your hard drive? DECORATE's #include only works for including files from inside a wad or pk3 files (that are already loaded), not from outside of them (like from folders on hard drive, or from wads/pk3s that aren't currently loaded).

ah ok...I am not making a pk3 file, I just keep it like that.

But it work if I let the files inside decorate folder. So the #include doesnt support subfolders ?

scifista42 said:

So are you talking about folders inside a pk3 file, or folders on your hard drive? DECORATE's #include only works for including files from inside a wad or pk3 files (that are already loaded), not from outside of them (like from folders on hard drive, or from wads/pk3s that aren't currently loaded).

Please do not post such misinformation. ZDoom can load directories, but of course they have to be loaded so that things work.

Right now I have no idea. If the decorate folder is loaded its subfolders should be available.

Graf Zahl said:

Please do not post such misinformation. ZDoom can load directories,

This zdoom wiki article made me convinced that it can't, because the "Loading" part doesn't mention directories at all. Of course, now that I know better, I won't post such misinformation, but it's hard to comply to your wish prior to knowing that said misinformation isn't in fact correct. Anyway, I'm sorry for this one.

Graf Zahl said:

but of course they have to be loaded so that things work.

With that said, I want to ask the OP if he actually loads the directory via -file or whatever is the correct method, as #include alone isn't sufficient to do so, which he might still believe it is.

He already said that including from the same directory is working so he must have loaded it.

But yes, some more detailed info may be needed to narrow this down.

The files you are loading with #include are actually inside your wad or pk3, right? You can't #include things that are not inside the wad or pk3. If it is a wad and not a pk3, it can't have folders inside, nor a .txt extension on files inside (called lumps).

No they are not inside wad or pk3, just inside folder as .txt files and I can include them if they are inside decorate folder, it work, but not inside sub folders, except if they are inside actors subfolder... Very strange