Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Vocaloids...

It's a software that emulates vocals to sing songs. They happen to have mascot characters because Japan loves them.

I'm a big Vocaloid fan, AMA.

My summary: real singers are recorded singing all sorts of syllables at different pitches. It's all tossed into a software framework that allows musicians to sequence whatever words and melodies that they like. Voicebanks are given visual character designs to bring them to life. Musicians make lots of great songs with the voicebanks. Concerts are held with projected 3D models of the characters and a real backing band. Lots of merch is sold. Cool rhythm games are made.

They're virtual singers, some of which have become "famous" because of the sick songs that people make and their appealing designs, and any musician has access to them for the low price of 200 bux each, or so. Pretty cool.

Here's a sick song by the very awesome Pinocchio P for example:

When Vocaloid originally came out in 2004 it was primarily marketed as a virtual solution for backing vocals (because it's much easier to disguise the fakeness when it's not sitting in the front of the mix). Unsurprisingly it flopped, because almost no professional studio are ever going to find themselves in a position where they don't have anyone available to record backing vocals.

The product instead took on a life of its own with the advent of virtual idols in Japan. Because Japan.

GeckoYamori said:

The product instead took on a life of its own with the advent of virtual idols in Japan. Because Japan.

So the answer to my question on why they exist is Japan? Typical.

It's amazing what they stir up.

GeckoYamori said:

The product instead took on a life of its own with the advent of virtual idols in Japan.

I'm pretty sure you got this backwards. The things only became virtual idols after people had used them to make songs ... so, y'know, they only became idols when their talent ( or potential at least ) actually showed.

As a note, Vocaloid and Virtual Idol don't necessarily act as the same thing. As I think mentioned, the Virtual Idol can also just be a front for someone with the talent. Like Gorillaz, I guess.

That's not a bad song the one you posted, benjogami, but i'm much more a Mitchie M / Supercell / samfree type.

Back on topic, have nothing to say than the other people told you, is a good product that gave to lot of musicians the power to make music even without singers, the software is kinda easy to se and the charatchers are cool to cosplaying, i think (even than over the usual most well known charatchers like Miku, Luka, Kaito and the other from the japanese 1st / 2nd generation of vocaloids, i didn't see too many other vocaloids like Sweet Ann or other minor Vocaloid or Utauloid (a free vocaloid of sorts), even if i seen some Teto Kasane, Haku Yowane and one Ruko Yokune cosplays, but nothing else

A thing that nobody told you is that the Vocaloid community are for the big part made from complete drama lords, even if all the people i knew virtually on DeviantARt for our MMD (Miku Miku Dance, is a free 3d software for making pictures and animations using different Vocaloid and other downloadable franchises like Touhou and Kancolle or many others charatchers... some months ago there was also a realistic models of Hitler and Stanlin... there's also a anime gender-bender version of Hitler, because reasons!) common interests are good people, so... i don't get they're complaints. Also this doesn't cover all the Vocaloid fans. Oh, nice, my explaination of vocaloid fandom was almost...

But is true (because i was one of that kind of people long ago) that some fans are taking TOO seriously their liking, i remember of some guy that commented under a youtube video of one of Miku's concerts that "Miku Hatsune is voice for whatever doesn't have a voice!" or something like that...

Yeah, they're taking too seriously their stuff sometimes...

Arctangent said:

I'm pretty sure you got this backwards. The things only became virtual idols after people had used them to make songs ... so, y'know, they only became idols when their talent ( or potential at least ) actually showed.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

*looks at the Hatsune Miku stuff*

.... Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

walter confalonieri said:

That's not a bad song the one you posted, benjogami, but i'm much more a Mitchie M / Supercell / samfree type.

Oh yeah, I like those guys too. DECO*27 is another one of my favorites. wowaka, 40mP, UtsuP, Junky... so much good stuff.

That's one heck of a video Benjo. No wonder people like these things. Enjoyed watching that (good thing there were subtitles).

For a video called "slow motion" its so fast.

Is all this REALLY computer-generated? I find that hard to believe.

Voros said:

That's one heck of a video Benjo. No wonder people like these things. Enjoyed watching that (good thing there were subtitles).

I just listened to it. Cool song. The lyrics were the most interesting part of it for me, they went in a lot of unexpected places and were actually kind of overwhelming. Really dark but somehow a little bit uplifting at the same time.

For a video called "slow motion" its so fast.

Is all this REALLY computer-generated? I find that hard to believe.

The vocal performance is computer-generated, the visuals and backing music and the actual composition of it all was done by humans though. Vocaloid itself is an instrument like any other.

esselfortium said:

I just listened to it. Cool song. The lyrics were the most interesting part of it for me, they went in a lot of unexpected places and were actually kind of overwhelming. Really dark but somehow a little bit uplifting at the same time.

Yeah! PinocchioP is a great lyricist. Really good at that dark/uplifting duality. Another song that does that:

esselfortium said:

The vocal performance is computer-generated, the visuals and backing music and the actual composition of it all was done by humans though. Vocaloid itself is an instrument like any other.

Yes I meant the vocals. I just can't believe how excellent it sounds. Like a real person.

Guest Unregistered account

I feel like this is worth posting.

That crowd. Its damn creepy for me to see them so excited. A bit too excited, for a hologram/whatever projection device they're using.

Although that 3D model was nicely well done. I wonder what software did they use to make it?

Voros said:

Although that 3D model was nicely well done. I wonder what software did they use to make it?

Any... Most popular of course Blender 3D, for animations they uses MikuMikuDance.

"Crappy Fantasy Days" is stuck in my head.

@azuruish would Crypton (I'm assuming they were the makers) really use Blender? I woulfve expected some special customized modeller made for making vocaloid models.

Voros said:

@azuruish would Crypton (I'm assuming they were the makers) really use Blender? I woulfve expected some special customized modeller made for making vocaloid models.

why would they bother writing a customized modeler for this? seems like a waste of time when competent modeling packages have existed for ages now. I can't really imagine them needing anything too out of the ordinary.

Though do they actually use Blender/MMD for the live shows? That response seemed like it was talking about the tools used by the fandom more than anything

Voros said:

What is crypton? user?

heh... hWell... modeling it's quite hard... You can easily download models from devialtart and then import them into Blender with scripts... You also can make videoclip but making it is so annoying...

Here for example my creation from scratch: Aoki Lapis. Vocaloid with childish voice... planned to use that model in video year ago... everything abandoned... shi,,,.

Spoiler

I'm still stumped on how they projected that 3D image in that video Kapanyo posted, and not being a static image either. Anyone know?

@Benjo that was unexpected from a Pinochio P song. Its so slow and suspenseful.

Yeah, the rare PinocchioP ballad. :D

For the concerts, the image isn't actually a 3D hologram. I'm pretty sure it's just video projected from behind onto a big clear screen.

(I went to one of the concerts, had pretty close seats :P)

Thanks for sharing Slow Motion in here, Benjogami. After not thinking about it at all for a couple weeks, it randomly popped into my head the other day and as soon as I figured out what it was, I had to check out the rest of the album, Shi-bou. Really, really good stuff, I haven't been able to stop listening to it this week. I love me some good weird pop music, and this stuff is catchy as hell.

Voros said:

I'm still having trouble trying to understand the whole thing. Like why they exist.

Because the power of conception exists.