Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Vocaloids...

joe-ilya said:

For me vocaloid is just a subculture for dubstep that got segregated just because it's featuring a Japanese edge.
Same thing with anime.

I dislike both because they're just too edgy, yet generic.

So basically "I have no idea what any of this is actually about, so I'm going to write it all off as edgy and generic without doing any research", which serves no purpose in this thread other than to antagonize the people who have legitimate interest in discussing these things.

Voros said:

Amanaguchi was going great, until that strange last bit, Spork. What were the guys thinking, chaanging the tone like that?

Who knows? They created it as part of the Miku live tour they opened for. It's not often a band gets to play as the opening band to a virtual singer, so maybe they wanted to toy with the fans a little bit?

Guest Unregistered account
joe-ilya said:

I dislike both because they're just too edgy, yet generic.

I don't see how, myself. Could you elaborate? I might just be thinking of the wrong meanings for those words.

AgentSpork said:

So basically "I have no idea what any of this is actually about, so I'm going to write it all off as edgy and generic without doing any research", which serves no purpose in this thread other than to antagonize the people who have legitimate interest in discussing these things.

What do you mean I don't know? I know that it's a Japanese subculture that I have a distaste for and I said my thoughts, that's it.
Edgy doesn't mean that it's bad, nor does generic, but it's bad according to myself, or at least it is to me in high amounts (like how vocaloids add mascots to every goddamn song and try to be as cutesy/brutal as possible in its sound).

And if you're going to rephrase me, don't add bullshit of your own, I wanted to share my opinion with those who dislike vocaloidz and posted so in this very thread as well, I'm not trying to be edgy, I hope I'm subtle.

One of the main reasons I like this vocaloid stuff is because of the technology. From a technical point-of-view I never people would or even could create the vocals of a song using a synthesiser. Just like how I like HDoom for the technical stuff. I guess it's a bit outdated with ZScript and D4D now out.

Let's agree to disagree, hmm?

joe-ilya said:

edgy

Man, either you're using a word that nobody uses, or you seriously have no idea what you bother to type.

Guest Unregistered account

I feel a thread split coming on

Arctangent said:

Man, either you're using a word that nobody uses, or you seriously have no idea what you bother to type.

I clearly stated why it's edgy and generic at the same time IMO.

joe-ilya said:

I clearly stated why it's edgy and generic at the same time IMO.

Wait. Do you have a thing against the mascots, or the software and how people use it, in general?
Vocaloids are nothing more digital vocals. The mascots make it seem like they're real. It's the song that matters, that's what it is: songs. Actually the songs are made by the producers, from the lyrics to the music, so technically, you have a thing against the producers for using vocaloids to create dubstep music.

So, if a guy took a vocaloid and made a metal/rock/whatever you like song, would it be better for you?

Vocaloids are basically a package of sounds bundled together and software to use these sounds in sequence. Kinda like MIDI.

You have a thing against anime. That's cool.

Kapanyo said:

Has Easypop not been mentioned?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOKplMgHxxA

Don't take this the wrong way, but I disliked this for some reason.Including the thumbnail.

Being edgy isn't about being emo.
Edgy is about standing out of the crowd or standing on its edge.

And that's what the vocaloid market tries to do, but it's so overdone over there that it just comes off as generic.
It's completely unnecessary to make vocaloids too, I'd rather listen to vocals in real time or to YTPMVs or to midis which aren't restricted to a genre.

joe-ilya said:

It's completely unnecessary to make vocaloids too, I'd rather listen to vocals in real time or to YTPMVs or to midis which aren't restricted to a genre.

Vocaloids are pointless, because we have glorious youtube poops. Incredible, amazing, ilya! I'd make a joke about you having shit taste or putting raw feces into your ear canals, but that's already baked into the definition of YTP. You're criticizing from an even weirder, more unnecessary niche, heh.

joe-ilya said:

It's completely unnecessary to make vocaloids too

That's like saying MIDIs are unnecessary to make because we have MP3s.

joe-ilya said:

I'd rather listen to vocals in real time

Do so. It's not like anyone's forcing. Heck, real singers could sing these vocaloid songs too, you know?

joe-ilya said:

or to YTPMVs

I'm sorry, what? You'd rather listen to YouTube Poop?

joe-ilya said:

or to midis which aren't restricted to a genre.

Blame the producers that make the lyrics and music, for not making songs for other genre (I'm people have though). They handle that stuff, not "Miku", "Rin", "GUMI" etc.

joe-ilya said:

Being edgy isn't about being emo.
Edgy is about standing out of the crowd or standing on its edge.

And that's what the vocaloid market tries to do, but it's so overdone over there that it just comes off as generic.

The only unnecessary thing here are your persistent attempts to derail this thread

esselfortium said:

The only unnecessary thing here are your persistent attempts to derail this thread

I disagree, I'd say he's the most necessary part.

joe-ilya said:

Vocaloid is a computer program that allows you to synthesize vocals. It is, by nature, not tied to any particular genre, much in the way that an electric guitar is not mutually exclusive to Rock and Roll music. Not everyone is born with golden pipes, so it exists as a means for producers of music to more easily add vocal tracks to their songs. If you prefer to listen to live vocals that's fine... but saying it has no reason to exist is just plain ignorant. By that token, why should any sort of synthesizer exist when we have perfectly good live instruments that have been around forever? Let's get rid of MIDI too, while we're at it; god forbid something exist that enables the end user to more easily create music.

AgentSpork said:

Vocaloid is a computer program that allows you to synthesize vocals. It is, by nature, not tied to any particular genre, much in the way that an electric guitar is not mutually exclusive to Rock and Roll music. Not everyone is born with golden pipes, so it exists as a means for producers of music to more easily add vocal tracks to their songs. If you prefer to listen to live vocals that's fine... but saying it has no reason to exist is just plain ignorant. By that token, why should any sort of synthesizer exist when we have perfectly good live instruments that have been around forever? Let's get rid of MIDI too, while we're at it; god forbid something exist that enables the end user to more easily create music.

The thing is, pretty much every vocaloid that was posted here is a pop song with a cutesy sound and mascot. Which is something several people pointed out in this thread that they disliked.

OK, I'm not going to speak my negative opinion anymore on anything that I don't like that the majority does like, so no-one will call me names anymore.

joe-ilya said:

The thing is, pretty much every vocaloid that was posted here is a pop song with a cutesy sound and mascot. Which is something several people pointed out in this thread that they disliked.

The cute ones are certainly the most popular ones, but its certainly not the only style of the official vocaloid mascots. (ok, I guess even the dudes are designed to be on the cuter side... still, some like kaito give a somewhat different vibe). And uh, how is this even a problem in the first place?