Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Monsters Teleporting

I know how to do the old fashioned way, but I've been playing 2002: A Doom Odyssey here lately and there are several levels, that when you pick a key, monsters teleport in. Or, you walk across a tagged line, and monsters spawn everywhere.
Exactly how do you do this?

zdoom? scripting language, pretty easy.
boom? player activates W trigger linedef -> move floor ceiling of dummy sector -> accelerative scrolling + carry objects linedef in that sector -> another dummy sector with enimies in it and teleport line that they cross when the floor moves -> teleport thing by player. also quite easy, just sounds complicated

DooMBoy said:

I know how to do the old fashioned way, but I've been playing 2002: A Doom Odyssey here lately and there are several levels, that when you pick a key, monsters teleport in. Or, you walk across a tagged line, and monsters spawn everywhere.

Look carefully at the WAD in an editor... you'll notice that a the stated linedef opens a door or raises/lowers something somewhere, and the monsters then see the player. The monsters start moving, stepping on teleporting linedefs, that lead to where the player is (in some cases its not the mosters seeing but hearing the player shoot). There may be illusionary walls between the player and the room where the monsters are before they teleport, so that the player will not see them. The earliest example is the e1m9 rocket launcher room (more innovative examples use remoter rooms or somehow block sound to make the teleporting cooler). Also note the little room with the two imps im map01 where the monsters come out if the player fires nearby (no teleporter, but the same technique using a door instead), this one has a little hole connecting the little cage near the exit where an imp resides to the secret one.

Another fun trick to use is the "hidden pit" trick. This is done by making a hole in the ground and putting a monster inside of it, but not giving the lower part of the linedef any textures. This makes the sector attempt to use the neighboring sector's floor to "cover" the pit, making it virtually un-noticeable. Then, make a line with a corresponding tag to the "hidden" pit, and make it Floor: W1 Down to highest floor. This will make the pit instantly raise up and become level with the surrounding sector, and whatever's in it will seem to appear out of thin air.

Or for you source port junkies, you can get the same sort of effect by using the silent teleport trick using line type 244.

And for a level that showcases some of the more basic types of monster teleportation, click on the hyphen in my sig. The level isn't too good but it shows how to do it.

DooMBoy said:

The way it's done is that each monster is in it's own little room with a teleporter in it (each leading to a different sector), and when you trigger the trap, all the doors blocking the teleporters open at once, allowing them all in at once.

Or, as Archvile 46 said, use the Floor: W1: down to highest floor trick. I use that all the time, as it's totally class!

Thanks guys. I'll try some of the stuff you suggested. :)
Another trick I like to use is to put a switch in a distant room, you hit the switch, nothing seems to happen. Of course, you've gotta go back to the room you were just went, and when you do, there's monsters everywhere! Then there's the "ceiling trick". You lower the ceiling to where it's eaqul with the floor, only you don't give it any textures except for AASTINKY (Doom) or AASHITTY (Doom2). Then you put an enemy in the ceiling-lowered sector, and it gives all the appearance that the enemy or enemies can neither see nor hear you. When I figured out how to do this, I was thinking man, is this cool or what? :)

hmm. id rather use tag 135 and have "map spots" where the monsters spawn in...its rather easy but you need zdoom...you can even make it so that when you pick up the key, the stuff spawns in, instead of having to step over a line, or you can have something spawn right where you are standing like a megasphere or bfg...or you can make it so that you pick up the key and a monster spawns in and when you kill him, another spawns in, and when you kill him, maybe a door opens or a shiny new gun pops up!or maybe the level ends;)

you dont even need scripting=D

edit:under closer testing, i found you cant tag something that spawns, so things that make other things spawn have to be on the map at the start of the level, however you if you think, you can still play tricks on the player

Actually, you can tag something that spawns with zdoom scripting. For example,
spawnspot ("SkullRod", 148, 171, 0);
spawns a Heretic Hellstaff at map spot tagged 148, and assigns the tag number 171 to it. Then,
Thing_SetSpecial (171, 80 /* ACS_Execute */, 74, 0, 0);
assigns script 74 to the thing tagged 171. The spawnspot command is working in the latest versions of zdoom (later than beta33).

The following should work with beta33, the only issue being that this command can spawn a more limited number of things (limited only to standard doom things, IIRC).

Thing_SpawnNoFog (33, T_ARACHNOTRON, 64, 124);
silently spawns an arachnotron at map spot tagged 33, facing north, assigned the tag number 124

Thing_SetSpecial (124, 82 /* ACS_Terminate */, 59, 0, 0);
This then sets the thing tagged 124 to terminate script 59 when the thing is killed.

One of the funny tricks in my levels was to hide a cyberdemon inside a pit at the end of the level, the pit had no lower textures, so it was hidden, when a player reaches to a short distant of it, he triggeres this pit to lower to 8 above the near sectors and the litter cyber demon jumpes right in his face, the reactions that I saw was great!