Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Why is brutal etc so awful about keeping sound levels even?

The custom sounds always drown out the music, and any iwad sounds are too quiet compared to them, it's really frustrating. This of course has happened in pwads right from the start, but with brutal and its' derivatives it's the most obnoxious.

Because for one they're recorded at a higher bitrate, and for two they're over amplified for the sake of being loud, because louder is stronger apparently.

Jaxxoon R said:

Because for one they're recorded at a higher bitrate, and for two they're over amplified for the sake of being loud, because louder is stronger apparently.

And three, brutal doom sucks!

alterworldruler said:

Basically that.

Brutal Doom was always about shoehorning a lot of "kewl" stuff, and never about exercising any sort of quality control in what was added.

Adding in unnecessary "features" and past controversies drove me away from the mod and made me build my own.

alterworldruler said:

I wouldn't really say that, as I do find fun to play here and there. Gives Doom a whole new experience.

Although it does suck in terms of quality control.

nice brutal threadshitting

Sound volume is never even because there are no doom-specific tools to do it and it slips the mind of 99% of people who just rip their sounds from various games\sources. Music can be an offender as well.

It's something that people should pay more attention to for sure.

I suspect the author does not understand what clipping is. Many sounds in Brutal Doom far exceed how loud a sound effect can be at that frequency and bit rate, which results in them clipping horribly and generally being a pain on the ears.

Brutal Doom sucks - if you dig deeper into the mess of coding it contains. The quality of the DECORATE stuff is beyond shitty, but of course you'll hardly notice it while playing.

But so far most bug reports about this mod could be written off as some bad scripting inside.

The fact that the sound effects are just thrown in without doing any volume adjustment etc. is just another sign of this.

Great way to level your sounds properly for Doom is to compare them to the stock sound effects. The players scream and shotgun sound are generally great points of reference if you want to add new gunshot and death sounds, for example.

I've actually considered the idea of a "Remastered Brutal SFX" pack but just don't have the time.. Even though clipping/popping/distortion is pretty much impossible to remove after the fact, it would still be nice for the volume to at least be consistent. Some of the gurus out there might even know a good way to mask that clipping after the volume has been lowered, but that's beyond what I can do.

We haven't had a Brutal Doom argument / debate for a little while now. Could this be the next contribution?

Anyway if it's truly bothersome why not go to the menu and adjust sound and music volume to make it more forgivable?

Chezza said:

Anyway if it's truly bothersome why not go to the menu and adjust sound and music volume to make it more forgivable?

Yeah, there's clearly a menu where you can adjust the original sounds to be louder and the brutal sounds to be quieter. Fucking normies, learn how2brutal.

dew said:

Yeah, there's clearly a menu where you can adjust the original sounds to be louder and the brutal sounds to be quieter. Fucking normies, learn how2brutal.

Funny because I am a heavy Brutal Doom player haha. I guess I don't hear the same as the OP does, to me the sounds are fine in game. It's not like my ear hurts from one sound and get a need to increase my volume from others.

Graf Zahl said:

Brutal Doom sucks - if you dig deeper into the mess of coding it contains. The quality of the DECORATE stuff is beyond shitty, but of course you'll hardly notice it while playing.

But so far most bug reports about this mod could be written off as some bad scripting inside.

The fact that the sound effects are just thrown in without doing any volume adjustment etc. is just another sign of this.

that's your opnion. And i'm not a coder(or something like that) so the fact that it is a "mess of coding" don't bother me.

yakfak said:

a sample of someone yelling "Go fuck yourself!" is frankly too loud at any volume

Actually you have a point. That's way too loud and obnoxious it hurts. I used a Starcraft Terran marine voice pack to change it. I would say I would just never use it except it saved me from a couple tight situations with Mancubi.

Chezza said:

I would say I would just never use it except it saved me from a couple tight situations with Mancubi.

Its cybbie-angering property is actually hella useful if you got a big mob to infight.

RanhDoomer said:

And i'm not a coder(or something like that) so the fact that it is a "mess of coding" don't bother me.

It will when the thing doesn't even start up in the latest version of GZDoom.

yakfak said:

a sample of someone yelling "Go fuck yourself!" is frankly too loud at any volume

yeah, i don't get what happened with any of the "voice-acting" in Brutal Doom. everything is clipped and distorted to hell.

I actually find the one-liners by ally marines really amusing.

However I really hate the offend button. I unbound it the moment I ran brutal doom.