Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LGN-76

This will probably end up being labeled a Lost Cause, but I'll ask for help anyway...

I'm trying to get DOOM (2016) working on my laptop. It's the only way I can play the game on PC right now, as my current desktop has too old of a video card (Quadro FX 380; it crashed trying to start the game up), and I'm in no position to buy a better one at the time (maybe later on...).

Specs:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4lkbVswodwjVlljSXE0N2hqdUU

Just so you know, the laptop CAN run the game, AND on Vulkan, which is MUCH faster on there than OpenGL 4.5. The one major problem, is that the game constantly freezes whenever it's almost done loading a level, and I have to use Task Manager to force quit the game. It happens more on Vulkan than OpenGL, but that's a thin line.

As for the game's Video Settings, I have it set at 640x480@60 (not just so it runs better, I actually like playing ALL my PC games at low resolutions) with VSync, Motion Blur, and that extra stuff turned off. For Advanced Settings, Screen Percentage is at 50%, everything's at either Low Setting or turned Off (Player Shadow is turned On and Reflection Quality is Low instead of Off, those are the only exceptions), and Rendering Method is set to Gritty.

Once again, I'm pretty sure this is a lost cause, but I know that laptop can handle the game decently, if I can just find a way to stop the freezing. Is there anything you guys can do to help me with this issue?

P.S. If all else fails, I DO have a PS4 along with that version of the game. I'll explain why I'm only using that version as a last resort another time...

Edit: Ignore me. Read your specs wrong. (Seriously, just upload a text file as a text file next time. A phone has no idea what an nfo is.)

Yeah sorry about that, I WAS gonna just type my specs using dxdiag, but I remembered one of my previous threads and thought an NFO file would be more convenient for the really tech-savvy people on here to help me out...

Right, now on a desktop. Your problem, if anything, is the 512MB VRAM. That is a very tiny amount of VRAM for a game that has a minimum spec of 2GB, so the driver is likely failing to allocate enough to finish loading properly. I haven't actually heard of anybody getting it to run on such a low spec card, although occasionally hear of people running it fine on a 1GB GTX660.
You could try making sure your drivers are actually up to date, but I'd almost write that off as a lost cause.

Well my Total Available Graphics Memory amount is 2GB, so if I could increase the Dedicated Video Memory amount to 1GB, then maybe the game will stop freezing. Is there any way for me to do that on my laptop? I googled about this last night, but all the threads and possible fixes were for laptops with Intel video. Like I said, I have AMD video, so hopefully it's possible for me?

Your dedicated VRAM is a physical chip, so no (increasing VRAM is a function exclusive to integrated GPUs that use system memory as VRAM). The "total available" is a bit misleading, because that includes shared memory. My understanding of it is shared memory works more like swap, but an active application must still fit inside the dedicated VRAM.

*sigh* Then I guess I'm just gonna have to stick to playing the game on the PS4, for now...

At least this will convince me to save up for and buy a better desktop. Even though I'll play DOOM (and other FPS games) with a gamepad, I'm far more accustomed to playing this genre with Keyboard & Mouse, and I don't wanna set all my PC FPS games to use Gamepad controls just because that's the only way I can play DOOM (2016). That's the reason why I only wanted to use the PS4 as a last resort.

Build a Better Destop, donĀ“t buy one already made. If you are on a budget, buy one part or two per month. Eventually you will end with a high end PC, which will last a few years and will allow you to save money for the next PC that you will need after the one you build becomes obsolete.