Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Alternate palette

Decided to give this a go:

-you messed up with the red/pink colours.

-changing the blue into purplish colors doesn't work so well ingame.

-some sprites look washed out (the orb monster for example).

On the other hand:

-the angle grinder looks more cooler.

-everything looks much more darker and gritty. (IDK if that's a good thing, as I've gotten used to Freedoom's clean-like look)

-some sprites look better in a way (the dark soldier has a darker shade)

I don't see how a new palette that eventually with tweaking will work with the original assets wouldn't work with doom. Just need to find the right balance first.

tho it still needs work, this is pretty cool already. i particularly like the funky pinks

i think the only part i dont like is that things look overall darker

I should probably have posted screenshots, sorry about not doing that. On another note, I've been retexturing map02 with Aquatex.

Which Aquatex? V6 or the fixed V7 you made?

Tbh, I prefer V6, as sldr_tex is like a mashup to me. Aquatex V6 seems perfect ATM.

And avoid using AQSUPP02 and AQSUPP09.
Man, you already started retexturising. Gotta hurry up then if i want the aquatex textures to be in Freedoom.

I had an idea earlier of a slightly darker and more contrasted palette independently w/o having looked at this one yet, which has colors congruent to but not RGB-identical to the original, such that pretty much anything would still look good but have a different twist put on it. I second this, as a starting point at the least, as something that I think is a good idea.

Voros said:

Which Aquatex? V6 or the fixed V7 you made?

The latter.

Voros said:

And avoid using AQSUPP02 and AQSUPP09.

Why's that? They seem to be perfectly fine textures.

SUPP02 and SUPP09 dont have a power-of-2 height, so visual glitches may occur.

Voros said:

SUPP02 and SUPP09 dont have a power-of-2 height, so visual glitches may occur.

No? They're both 128 tall.

Voros said:

Oops, I meant width.

That actually isn't problematic. It's non-power-of-two heights that cause issues, not widths.

Both cause different issues. Wrong height (basically, anything other than 128) won't tile in vanilla. Wrong width (NPOT) will cut the texture off to the next power-of-two in many engines.

Benjogami said:

Didn't sign up, but I've been mucking about anyhow. Ran into a headscratcher with AQSUPP09. Looks like this in GZDB:

But like this in-game:

Looks like I was wrong. I suppose I could go ahead and make power of two versions then.

EDIT: Aaaaand done.

Blastfrog said:

Looks like I was wrong. I suppose I could go ahead and make power of two versions then.

EDIT: Aaaaand done.

http://i.imgur.com/GFR4CLZ.png

http://i.imgur.com/zFC3E5t.png

Make em GIFs.

And how about applying fixes to TRIM06 and TRIM07? They have non-power-of-2 height , IIRC

Edit: ok don't make them GIFs. I can do that myself.
Not being picky here, but could you work with Aquatex V6 ATM? V7 is basically V6 with extra stuff, so using V6 won't conflict with V7.
Unless, that is, you upload the Aquatex V7 to the Freedoom repo yourself, then i have no objections. I'm currently focusing on uploading Aquatex V6 to the repo, since it's more "clean".
Thanks for the SUPP02/09 fix though!

@supersomari its the beginning of something beautiful. Hopefully.

Voros said:

And how about applying fixes to TRIM06 and TRIM07? They have non-power-of-2 height , IIRC

Done and done.

Voros said:

Not being picky here, but could you work with Aquatex V6 ATM? V7 is basically V6 with extra stuff, so using V6 won't conflict with V7.

I actually want to use the extra textures in V7 (though I'm removing the ones that have ugly color artifacts). So no, I won't use V6, sorry.

Blastfrog said:

Yes! Although you need to fix TRIM07/the yellow and black patch. The black bars aren't in sync.

Blastfrog said:

I actually want to use the extra textures in V7 (though I'm removing the ones that have ugly color artifacts). So no, I won't use V6, sorry.

Oh okay. This is going to be harder. What about those flats that were currently also changed to patches? How about removing them from patches, so that they remain as flats?

Im still worried about the fact that Soda is using V7. Adding that to Freedoom will be a pain in the ass. For me that is.

loving the shots. i think the palette could still use tweaks but i would need to study it properly to make any suggestions. really nice to see aquatex finally getting used properly!

Voros said:

Im still worried about the fact that Soda is using V7. Adding that to Freedoom will be a pain in the ass. For me that is.

Beggars can't be choosers.

^that statement makes no sense with this.
V7 is a mess. Some cleaning up would have to be made.

But if V6 is added, then the extra stuff in V7 can be added easily. Mostly.
So yeah, I'll just concentrate on V6, to make the task seem more simpler.

@Soda, the new palette makes the player hands too yellow, like as if the player has jaundice. See if you can fix that.