Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

TNT: Resistance - Released!

Thanks AD! Glad you and Alfonzo could work together on this so we could at least have one collab map. Nice work.

It's up to you if you want to include any midi you like - whether existing or otherwise. I'm practically finished with my MAP08 at the moment but still have some fixes to make, so an update isn't too far off now. All that's left now is to hear word from joe-ilya if he's still working on his map.

I enjoyed this map 2.

Only two things to mention ...

1. Map contains many tall monsters, like the revenant and BoH, and with ogl ports, have their heads in the ceiling in low floor/ceiling sectors.

2. Not all Nuke sectors that are accessible do damage.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

1. I build with software renderer in mind. Sorry!

2. Intentional. I didn't want the tops of the green hexagonal sectors to be damaging (that would probably just be annoying), but nukage was the only vanilla flat that would fit. If there's a nukage pool that I somehow missed, though, then that should damage.

Couple of screenshots from Map06, taken in Chocolate Doom (hence the low res). Anyone know what is causing the graphical error in the final image? I don't get it in any other ports.

It's a tutti-frutti effect - that linedef should have a 0,0 alignment for it to disappear.

Also thanks for the updates - I need to stop slacking off and finish up my map shortly.

[edit] I've updated to beta 4 - it includes the recent maps I've received and I've just about finished up with my last map - that means two more maps before this project is ready to wrap-up.

There is a serious bug in map 8. If the player stays at sector 672 too long the player is trapped. Needs a switch nearby to relower lift sector 672.

When looking through window sectors 536 and 535, the lower sky hemisphere can be seen. Just needs the floors of those sectors raised a bit.

Similar for floor of sector 651. Just needs the floor lowered.

... now bring on the monsters ... ;)

AD_79 said:

I have the urge to make something short and quick, may I have MAP02? Should (in theory) only take a couple days, then I can get back to bigger stuff that I need to get done.

Out of interest, was your map name inspired by this by any chance? :)

^ It sure was! I actually decided on the name before I started building the map :P

valkiriforce said:

It's a tutti-frutti effect - that linedef should have a 0,0 alignment for it to disappear.

X offset doesn't matter, only the Y offset should be set to 0 or any value low-enough so that the texture won't tile vertically, and the linedef should also NOT have set the Lower-unpegged flag.

Casual max for Crystal Protocol.

Fun map. A few monsters that are somewhat questionably placed if you want to kill everything (really high rev, a few imps clustered in a small place). The map feels incomplete in that way -- those areas would make for good secrets, perhaps a berserk pack, which would be a fun optional weapon in this map, with all the former human troopers and pinkies.

There are HOMs in the room with the AV fight behind the red key door. I used TNT.wad, not sure what that is about.

^ I never got around to adding any secrets. Should probably do that.

Can I get a screenshot of where exactly the HOMs are, by the way? I never noticed anything of the sort.

Huh, weird, it seems to be caused by the linedef that lowers the lock-in doors, which I stretched over multiple sectors. Edited that room slightly to fix it, will re-upload in a bit (once I get a secret or two in). Thank you!

EDIT: will add in a midi as well

scifista42 said:

X offset doesn't matter, only the Y offset should be set to 0 or any value low-enough so that the texture won't tile vertically, and the linedef should also NOT have set the Lower-unpegged flag.

I'm aware of that - I typically set everyting to 0,0 when I map so I'm not always aware if I'm trying to tell somebody else to do the same.

Map01: Fun and snappy. Not much to say beyond that. Quickly did another attempt afterwards because it's really short. Subtle things like making the door to the little chaingunner enclosure a fast door so that you can kill both chaingunners in rhythm with the SSG are often overlooked by mappers but really appreciated.

Map03: This one has a number of irritants in the first half: The early direct jump to the blue key can be blocked by monsters underneath. I'm not really a fan of high cacos in tall relatively narrow areas -- infinite height again makes it weird. Not a fan of the lift with the archvile, it has a walkover trigger for getting back down instead of a switch trigger, which makes it easy to inadvertently trigger. Most importantly, if you don't hit the key switches in precisely the right order (blue key switch and then red key switch) a lot of the monsters in the outdoor yard can come inside and block you with infinite height when you try to get back down. All the closet monsters are released by the red key switch, so they swarm while you are doing blue key activities. I enjoy the outdoor and exit area, however.

Map04: Fun map, too long for a casual max though. I found 5/6 secrets and got all kills. There was a part near the end with pinkies where if you don't immediately drop down you get blocked. Some of those steptop structures were blocking, which wasn't entirely obvious just by looking at them. This could have been really annoying in an early secret I found, which had an archvile that I tried to outflank by going underneath the structure that turned out to be impassable. Lucky it wasn't targeting me at the moment.

Map07: The idea behind the soulsphere secret is really cool, but the jump is way too precise; I tried to prep that part since I was planning on recording a demo but decided I wouldn't after my success rate was somewhere around 1 in 4 jumps. Might be easier with autorun off but I don't have that bound to a key and I'm not changing binds just for a single map. Fun map otherwise.

Map08: Was fun basically up to the blue key door, but then I fell off the edge of the midtex bridges because the self-referencing sector part is a lot smaller than the visual bridge, got irritated at the ultra-cramped geometry in the circular section and its surroundings where every other movement involves bumping against a wall, and then an unseeable chaingunner (thing 320) blocked me with infinite height when trying to enter the sector it was in, and the heater hadn't warmed the house up after the sudden dip in temperature and my fingers were cold so I didn't have much patience and decided to stop playing there.

Maxes for maps I felt like maxing: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1689665

Got a playable version of Map06 ready if anyone is interested in giving this version a test? 143 monsters so it's not too long of a map, although there are some tough fights to be had.

Hey, sorry for kinda forgetting about this. Got sidetracked. Updated MAP02 should be up tomorrow, hopefully.

And scotty, I'll actually play through your map and send you some feedback :o It looks neat!

Ok, here's the updated MAP02. The MIDI is a rendition of "Future Vision" by Waveshaper.

edit: made a couple small changes to the midi, reuploading now

AD_79 said:

And scotty, I'll actually play through your map and send you some feedback :o It looks neat!

Ok! I'm putting some final touches on the map but will await your opinion before uploading the new version of it.

MAP06: Nukage Filtration

Updated with some tweaks.

Midi: "Dance of the Trooper" by Paul Corfiatis
Known bugs: noclipping to some otherwise inaccessible ledges can crash Vanilla
Multiplayer: Co-op and DM starts, MP-only Mastermind added

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ju6phzzwrmt9hko/NukageFiltration.wad?dl=1

Worth noting now that Joe has gotten himself losered for a month so no map from him any time soon...

I've been out of the loop for some time now; personally I wouldn't mind releasing this soon other than having Joe's map still predominantly absent. I may at least update the WAD to include scotty's map but otherwise I can't remember any other changes that may have been made since I was last here. Otherwise, I'm curious to hear of anyone's thoughts about this project and if anyone has any additional input concerning the aforementioned MIA-Joe.

There's no MAP09 - it's intended to be a smaller episode of sorts. You might as well make something for MAP05 though, as I'm uncertain we'll ever hear back from Joe at this point.