Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Baked-in dropshadows in status bar numbers

Something that really bugs me in fullscreen HUDs is how the baked-in dark grey dropshadow is never removed. What's really silly is that ZDoom adds its own dropshadow, but retains the baked-in one.

I suggest either including modified versions without the baked-in dropshadow in the port's base archive, or specifically making index 109 transparent.

Blastfrog said:

I suggest either including modified versions without the baked-in dropshadow in the port's base archive, or specifically making index 109 transparent.

The latter could screw up any pwads which use grey front (dwango5 comes to mind, i think that shade may be used) but the former seems like a good idea, although if a pwad contains custom number graphics they won't be displayed in fullscreen which would be a shame.

Truth be told, I've never actually noticed that until now

This is a problem that's really hard to solve without any human input about what the font contains.

Given that many mods replace those characters, it could only be solved if they all were accompanied with a proper definition file - of course that won't happen because many modders do not consider ZDoom extensions as anything they have to address in their mods.

Blastfrog said:

I have some code in Crispy that makes sure the index 109 dropshadows of the IWAD's status bar numbers are never colorized, whereas index 109 gets colorized for numbers from PWADs as well:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/blob/master/src/doom/r_data.c#L1115
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/blob/master/src/v_trans.c#L241