Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
advj

So what do you think of SnapMap?

Hello there!

I'm Geoff, a graduate student at Western Sydney University. I'm working on a research paper that is looking at the Doom communities reaction to SnapMap. This research is a portion of research on modern modding and level creation tools.

I'm looking for some Doomworld community members willing to answer a few really quick questions about SnapMap. It's only 7 questions, most are just a click. If you have a moment I'd really appreciate it.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JTCJ3KS

I know I shouldn't expect anyones time for free, so I'm going to randomly pick two responses and send a $20 Amazon voucher. :)

If you have any questions please drop me a message or post here. And of course, I'll share my research outcomes here when the paper is finished.

Cheers

It's interesting to hear the multiplayer is dead. Looking through the popular levels there is a large number of small multiplayer adventure/moba style levels, lots of small solo experiences, and some weird stuff, but seemingly few multiplayer maps.

=(

And thank you for participating in the survey. =)

- less architectural freedom, but quicker to actually make maps as a result.

- more props solve this problem, but we need props with an AIR grid on top of them as well!

- logic system is robust and will only get better.

Hi, I did the survey and decided to share the 7th question in here as well, just for the sake of it. So, be ready for a wall of text.

Spoiler

The Good:

SnapMap benefits from its ability of allowing the player to create almost anything that comes to mind if said player has enough creativity and understanding of the editor's logic.

It's an easy-to-learn tool that grants a player the ability to create some of the most complex creations in an in-game editor and perhaps many other modding tools, including the capacity of changing the Doom's gameplay, even at its core.

Finally, one of the SnapMap's best feautres is the way you can create maps on consoles, share and play maps regardless of any platform.

The Bad:

SnapMap's main issue is its limitations: the editor lacks the ability of creating original architecture, which is one of the most iconic feautures of the modding from Classic Doom, instead you get to build your map with a set of different rooms connected together (These are called "Modules"), giving each map a familar look and gameplay if both are not changed drastically.

The player also needs to learn how to use as little as they can while providing the player the most of the experience, which is often a challenge to the map creator. The reason for this is that each time you add any Object or Module into the map it affects the editor's budgets: Network, Objects and Memory. The issue isn't that these budgets exist, the issue is how quick these budgets can be filled. If a player uses too many Modules, they might not have enough space to add the coding, objects, enemy placement and final polishing of the map.

SnapMap is a great editor, and in my opinion one of the best that there has been, but because of all of its limitations, It doesn't live up to what it really could be.

Sorry if that was hard to understand, I'm not a native Enlgish speaker. This might as well be just a bunch of nonsense, lol.

Ferocious_Summoner said:

SnapMap's main issue is its limitations: the editor lacks the ability of creating original architecture, which is one of the most iconic feautures of the modding from Classic Doom, instead you get to build your map with a set of different rooms connected together (These are called "Modules"), giving each map a familar look and gameplay if both are not changed drastically.

You can create your own rooms, they even added the "Grid room" to let your freely do so, With the use of Hell Props and Blocking Volumes this can be achieved, Best examples i know are Mom's Basement , Cartoon KillZone, Unholy Cathedral and E3M2 Redux .

Done the survey.

Interesting project you're working on. But to get a true understanding and appreciation of Snapmap you really have to delve much deeper into the classic wad editors. You will first hate them but then grow to love them while looking at Snapamp with disappointment.

In saying that, I really like Snapmap. It needs more work and love but it's definitely on the right track. Its multiplayer and community side of things are poorly handled though.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Grid Room (And ay, sorry for that). I never thought that building with Hell Props and using that Module was the most optimal or efficient way to do your own rooms, maybe I skipped it for that reason.

And besides that It would be really difficult to recreate something that could be done with the classic doom editors in terms in of size, lighting, etc... I wouldn't be surprised if E3M2 was a pain in the ass to make too. Kinda wish that id would make it easier to make. (Or maybe I'm just one lazy ass hat)

It would most likely end up like Doom 3, Doom 3 had a great and advanced mapping tool but not many people bother with it likely due to how hard & confusing to use they are so i think SnapMap was a good choice .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

You can create your own rooms, they even added the "Grid room" to let your freely do so, With the use of Hell Props and Blocking Volumes this can be achieved, Best examples i know are Mom's Basement , Cartoon KillZone, Unholy Cathedral and E3M2 Redux .

The problem with this is that demons have trouble navigating on props and/or with props surrounding them, and blocking volumes don't block demons. I have yet to see a map, including the ones you cited, that solves this problem. Unless Bethesda solves this, this will always be a major stumbling block of having original architecture.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Oops .

Haha Bethesda has done well with brand awareness. When you think of bugs you think of Bethesda. And nearly every game ever made has bugs. Therefore it is commonly believed Bethesda made every game in the world.

I'm kidding of course.

Just wanted to thank you all who completed the survey. Incredibly detailed and insightful comments here and in the survey.

Look forward to your thoughts when the paper is completed over the next month or so. I'll post a link here when completed.

I have emailed the two respondents who were randomly selected for the voucher.
:)

Cheers
Geoff

PS if anyone else wants to answer the survey it will be open for another week. No more vouchers though sorry >.<

I think it's better than the multiplayer, multiplayer is great when you just started playing it, but it gets a little boring after a while.

It is indeed, It allows you to do pretty much everything you're not allowed to do in Main Multiplayer .