Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
uhbooh

Hacx discussion

I've seen this TC mentioned occasionally and would like to have a thread dedicated to it. Hacx is one of my favorite TCs not just because of the effort put into it, but because it had so much potential.

One thing I always wanted to discuss was this

Hacx 1.1 was the first free release of Hacx. The release was not an update from 1.0, but rather a downgrade to some version in the development history. A few differences include MAP15 and MAP14 being swapped. As a result, the proper secret exit was removed and the game always goes to MAP31. MAP10 also had a terminal entrance similar to MAP05, but was removed. Likewise, the exit room for MAP19 was removed.

Does anyone own a copy of Hacx 1.0? I'd like to know if there's any more differences between it and the free version.

Voros said:

Thanks! I've been searching for this for ages. Here's some differences i found combing trough it.

- MAP14 and MAP15 are indeed spwapped, the map names aren't updated though.
- MAP14 has many enemies moved and added
- thorn things have a sound for their missile (DSSKEATK)
- D_COUNT2 (MAP21) and D_DM2INT lumps are present, they're duplicates of D_BETWEE (MAP04) and D_SHAWN2 (MAP19)
- The revenants in MAP10 are replaced with chaingun zombies (monstruct is their name I think)
- Player sprites are cleaned up a bit
- Office chairs are no longer solid and can be walked through

I'll look for more later

Voros said:

Is it illegal to upload this to idgames, for historical purposes?

Well hacx 1.1 has almost all of the same content, I don't think there's an issue.

Dragonfly said:

I've always felt conflicted on how to pronounce this mod's name. Is it "Hacks" or "Hack-X" when said aloud?

Hackse.cx

Megalyth said:

Hackse.cx

This is canon now. :D

In seriousness, it's just "hacks". Somewhat amusingly, when I try to type the word "hacks", I more often than not type "hacx" first and have to correct myself. D:

re:1.0 on /idgames, There ought not be any issues with it. Nostromo is the proper rightsholder and he'd likely drop a quick "sure". Need to remember to ask though. D:

Now that Xaser is here I have another question.

from the hacx website

The 1.2 release serves as a platform for the Hacx 2.0 project, an attempt to create what HACX was originally intended to be. It's being redeveloped with replaced maps, sprites, music, heavily based on the original design documents. Its progress can be monitored on the news page and screenshots can be seen in the media page. Stay tuned!

Do you mind sharing these old design documents? I'm very curious about their contents.

I don't think those documents are available. Probably because it was for Banjo Software's eyes only. Plans really.

That must be the latest answer to any forum question I have seen so far. And I doubt the guy who asked it still cares.

On 9/28/2016 at 12:50 AM, Voros said:

Where in the world is Nostromo's email? I see one called nostromo@sonic.net but i fear that is dead. And banjo software's email is most likely extinct.

On his website, make sure to not bombard him many questions under a short length of time.

On 9/22/2016 at 8:07 PM, uhbooh said:

Do you mind sharing these old design documents? I'm very curious about their contents.

AlrightyThen.PNG.bff7477050739b64cf6334a94d906de1.PNG

It's not available