Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
watstha

Snapmap - make a map

So guys, I made a collaboration with someone to make a map, the idea was that each one added one room with its own gameplay and completely custom environment with the use of both PBV and Hell assets, that´s the reason of this post, if anyone in here is willing to add his own single room, feel free to do so and send me the map id.

Everyone involved will be accredited (also, Snapmap accredit everyone who edits any map).

So, basically, the first part you´ll see asks to to collect two hearts (Originally it was intended to be three, but I don´t know how much more Snapmap will handle), after that and a brief battle, several portals will be opened, where you will get the next heart (don´t worry about adding it, I´ll be handling that, just tell me where you want it placed).

The map theme is completely free =)
Here´s the id: UB3DK5T4

The overall usage of memory isn´t even half, so there´s plenty of space for creativity (considering Snapmap can handle it, so keep that in mind)

I haven't decided whether I am actually going to extend it with a new room but it sure is nice to look at. I have downloaded it and am dicking around in it right now. the first room looks really nice but i especially like the second room, just because its so weird and abstract. I feel definitely inspired to give it a shot. Ill let you know if something comes from it. :)

redrage said:

I haven't decided whether I am actually going to extend it with a new room but it sure is nice to look at. I have downloaded it and am dicking around in it right now. the first room looks really nice but i especially like the second room, just because its so weird and abstract. I feel definitely inspired to give it a shot. Ill let you know if something comes from it. :)

No worries, man and thanks for answering the call =).

I´ve been thinking of starting a snapmap mapper collaboration, especially since id will release an update that allow users to link maps to create a campaign, also, with the stability update that id just released, things may go smoother with custom architecture maps.

I personally find the biggest problem to be with AI. The monsters work well when the nav meshes have been generated (as they are with all the preset modules). The behavior that is programmed to deal with obstacles on top of that nav mesh is extremely basic however. I've done some tests with it and, while very predictable, its just not something you can really work with. Its okish if you use some block elements sparingly but the moment you bring in any elevation the (walking) AI is just no longer fun to play against.

My conclusions so far has been to have monster fights happen on pre determined surfaces (i.e. surfaces that a nav mesh has been generated for) and exclusively work with flyers once you create your own elevations. This also means you have to strictly limit playspace depending on what monsters you want the player to fight. Still experimenting though.

redrage said:

I personally find the biggest problem to be with AI. The monsters work well when the nav meshes have been generated (as they are with all the preset modules). The behavior that is programmed to deal with obstacles on top of that nav mesh is extremely basic however. I've done some tests with it and, while very predictable, its just not something you can really work with. Its okish if you use some block elements sparingly but the moment you bring in any elevation the (walking) AI is just no longer fun to play against.

My conclusions so far has been to have monster fights happen on pre determined surfaces (i.e. surfaces that a nav mesh has been generated for) and exclusively work with flyers once you create your own elevations. This also means you have to strictly limit playspace depending on what monsters you want the player to fight. Still experimenting though.

Yeah, i´ve been having problems with that too. I recently made part of the police station from Resident evil 2 and used the hell windows to make the main hall floor, problem is, as soon as I place demons on top, it either lags or they simply get stuck.

After this, I started working on predetermined floors instead of custom, then build from it. Quite limiting, but it doesn´t affect the gameplay that much =D