Bloody Rust 2: Released!

AnonimVio said:

Update for my map:
-Added some ammo
-Difficulty settings
-Multiplayer settings
-Fixed bug where player could get stuck in red key area
-Added yellow key indicator
Also, if no one will make a custom midi for this map I'll suggest to pick "Rock the Building" by Jamie Robertson as the theme.

This was a fun, though little map. I played on HMP & still died a few times. The map looks very nice & fits the theme of the project, good combination of stock & custom textures, I like the ship & the lighthouse.

Arachnotron thing #177 could use replacing, he was kinda useless up there & only served to take away a few of my shells while posing no threat. Door sector #263 doesn't really need to be a door, the Hell knight & imps had trouble getting past it & caused me to do a bit of camping. I would suggest swapping the SSG & Chaingun placement, I thing that the Chaingun could be a little bit more useful in the area immediately after against those revenants by the blue key. I'd like to see the berserk pack moved somewhere else or replaced with a few medkits, seeing a berserk once all of the monsters are dead isn't very fun. Also exit Arch-Viles are getting to be a bit overdone, could you place something else instead or maybe noting at all, I don't know just not an Arch-Vile.

I also see a few more bugs that I need to sort out. Like how the demons only face one direction when firing & the Afrit seems a bit too weak when I killed it with only a single SSG shot.

Is this even an "open" community project or was it completly useless to make a map for this ? :c

Angry Saint said:

This map is pretty tough & a bit frustrating, I had had it by the end of video & cheat to the exit. First things first get rid of that exit Arch-Vile, that's two maps & two exit Arch-Viles! Will we be three for three by the end of the day? only time will tell.

I remember this map from Donnybrooking so I didn't have any trouble with the puzzles as I kinda remembered what to do. The texturing is good you adapted the new texture pack to the map well. On the other hand you didn't really do too much at all with the new monsters, so it kinda sticks out when compared with AnonmiVio's map & it will stick out even more next to 5 other maps that were designed with the new monsters in mind, so you may want to make a few changes. Weapon placement could use some adjusting as the lack of stronger weapons was the source of my frustration, I think the map would be improved it the player was given an SSG at the start of the map & then the current SSG in the center of the arena could be replaced with the Rocket Launcher.

I think that the whole arena could use some work anyways. It would have been nice to take out a few of the spiders or revenants with some infighting, but I was having some serious trouble making it happen. I didn't like that the Arachnotrons were stuck behind some monster blocking lines, I was forced to get up close & personal to kill them & this lead to many death's. I kept getting stuck on the lamps that give clues as to how to solve the puzzle, so it would be nice to see those moved out of the players way.

Sorry about the audio on this video, don't know why it's so awful.

DAZZER said:

Here is my Map called "Mountain Base X" :) I needed 3 days for it cause i didnt work with Boom format before. I tested it with Zdoom cause it didnt work with PrBoom as i have the same problem with SKY3 what Angry Saint mentioned before me :/ The Map isnt very long and i didnt put music in there but i think i got that what Jaws in Space wanted to have: An old, forgotten rusty factory :) Anyway heres the download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/am55hfcs35s23ph/Mountain+Base+X.7z

Yup that's three for three with the exit Arch-Viles :P

This map has a lot of the hallmarks of an early attempt at mapping. It's short, very linear, & all the rooms are either boxes or glorified hallways. The map could use some better height variation, except for the nukage hallway & exit the entire map is pretty much at the same height level. That being said there is very good texture usage & light variation to make for an atmospheric setting that fits the theme of the wad well. Monster placement is fairly dull, only so much can be done when working with this kind of layout, aside from monster closets all you can do is place monsters in front of the player which doesn't make for interesting gameplay at all.

There really isn't too much more I can say about this map, there just isn't much here. It needs some serious fleshing out to make it interesting. Make weird shaped rooms, have more height variation, make it less linear, add more windows so that there can be some crossfire from several monsters to provide engaging gameplay. You clearly have the potential to make good maps, as you have lighting & texturing down, you just need some more practice making a good map layout. As it is right now I can't accept this map into the project, sorry.

Jaws In Space said:

As it is right now I can't accept this map into the project, sorry.

Ok :c Well... thanks for the quick answer and the Tips... btw I map for 2 Years now and the fact that you think its an early attempt at Mapping makes me pretty sad... But yeah I will give my best and will rework it after your idea

Eris Falling said:

I think they need to be in WAV format first, you can convert OGG to WAV in Audacity.

Well I converted them to WAV & then put them into SLADE. I was then given the option to turn them into Doom Format sounds, but all of them failed to convert because "Cannot convert, must be 8bit"

In Audacity I cannot save these sounds as 8bit, only 32 & 16 bit are given as options, do you have any further advice? or do I need to download more programs :P

rdwpa said:

When exporting in Audacity, it's necessary to choose "Other Uncompressed Files" under save as type, and specify wav + 8-bit via the Options box.

Ah, thanks again.

Okay so this should be a final resource update.
Changes:
-Used AD's updated Textures/Pnames that caused problems in PRBoom
-Demon should now face the player when firing plasma
-Afrit should have Arch-Vile level health
-Afrit should produce death sound upon death
-All new sounds should playback in PRBoom

Bloody Rust 2 Resource

Another update (same link):
-Those 2 doors connecting upper and lower part of the factory can now be opened by monsters
-Replaced Arch-Vile with Former Human (for lulz)
-Replaced Berserk with Medikit

Jaws In Space said:

It needs some serious fleshing out to make it interesting.

So.. I reworked this Map the whole day and always had in the backhead what you wanted to have from the Map. I think now it was the right choice from you to say no cause now this Map realy is something I can be proud of. I hope you like it and i beg you to play through it again and tell me your thoughts :)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/am55hfcs35s23ph/mountainbasex.7z

DAZZER said:

So.. I reworked this Map the whole day and always had in the backhead what you wanted to have from the Map. I think now it was the right choice from you to say no cause now this Map realy is something I can be proud of. I hope you like it and i beg you to play through it again and tell me your thoughts :)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/am55hfcs35s23ph/mountainbasex.7z

Well that's a bit better. Map still has a few problems, there are missing textures in a few of the outside areas. I also found that there was a lack of health in the map, especially in the blue key area.

Jaws In Space said:

Well that's a bit better.

Well health or missing textures are things that can easily be fixed. But it still sounds like your not very into the Map. So I think i failed... I made it bigger , more ways for enemies to come in (spawn ins), added windows with hitscanners, made it unlinear and I used more of the resources. Well at the end its your WAD and I wish you the best with it but it kinda suck cause i realy spended much time making it...

Angry Saint said:

Here the updated version of Parapiglia:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xrl33ww9gd7rq98/parapiglia003.wad

I followed suggestions from dt_ and Jaws In Space and added some small detail here and there.

Let me know!

Okay, I'll check it out this weekend.

In other news my I have just finished my own map. I'm just waiting on a midi from Alfonzo, but in the meantime a few screenshots.

Yep, looking forward to playing matchup with the levels you guys put out, if you're interested.

@Jaws: A small fix for the MIDI. There were some weird artefacts with the keyboard and one of the pitch bends on the gt. harmonics. Apparently they only registered as a problem when played back in-game. Sorry about that!

Certainly haven't forgotten about this, in fact I have completed the entire map layout, this however is a pretty big map and may take some time to populate.

Spoiler

Crunchynut44 said:

Okay here is 'Arid Wasteland', took inspiration from Borderlands and BTSX, hopefully you'll feel an eerie desert rusted base type atmosphere.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, enjoy!

(still needs difficulty settings and multiplayer, and of course extensive bug testing).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ks6rqjv0568sue1/Arid%20Wasteland%20V1%20-%20Crunchynut44.wad?dl=0

Great looking map you have here. It's pretty dang tough, a bit beyond my skill level. Difficulty is fine as it is, I guess just watch my video to see where you should make adjustments for the lower skill settings. I didn't end up getting to the exit in the video.

New MIDI targetting DAZZER's map; goes by the name Derrick. I realise his contribution may be open to change or otherwise, but it presented as a good opportunity to help hone a sound for further compositions. I hope you like it!

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Can we have a widescreen HUD this time?

This is a Boom mod, you are asking for something that's zdoom specific.

Alfonzo said:

New MIDI

Nice, this is really good.

For the guys still working on maps, how are things progressing? It's been about a month since I've heard from anyone.

Angry Saint's Parapiglia comes at you hard and fast, so here's an angry Corrugator to help set the pace. Enjoyables.

I'm still motoring on back here, so let me know if there's a particular sound you want for your level before I do something dangerous. In the mean time, if maps aren't coming in I'll start setting up some insurance tracks for people to select or ignore as they enter.

Very cool midi, thank you very much Alfonzo.

Since it's the end of the month I guess it's a good time for a progress check. nxGangrel, Flesh420, Fisk, & U.O.D. you all have shown progress of have expressed interest in making maps for this project, how are things progressing for you guys anything to report? Also Fisk did you have midi's for this project? Alfonzo doesn't need to make all of them if you wanted to contribute some for maps or the intermission screens. DAZZER, I'm not exactly sure from your last comment, but were you intending to fix the bugs in your map, or did you want me to take care of them? Lastly Crunchynut44 all I needed from you were lower skill settings on your map, how goes the progress there?