Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revae

REKKR - V1.16

Yeah, it seems weird to call this "just a Doom" mod, where most games these days are "just an Unity mod" or "just an Unreal Engine mod".

I was just remembering how awesome real life is, then you all release awesome doom projects.

If this is what hell is like, I guess I never want to be free.

Edited by Catpho

On 7/13/2018 at 6:51 PM, Rook said:

all three of those pieces linked above are very lazy and certainly don't do this justice.

What did you expect from mainstream gaming media, a full level-by-level review with an interview with the creator? Ffs those people have a lot of stuff to cover, not just Doom mods.

Just finished the main three episodes of this. Wow, yeah. Sure does feel like a lost '90s FPS, although it was more BUILD than DOOM-engine if that makes any sense? In terms of overall 'feel' anyway. A lot of this is down to how trap-laden it is, and the high damage output (seemingly, could just be my unfamiliarity with this new world of yours). Not my kinda thing per se, but what you've achieved here is amazing; even from the REKKR music thread here on DW, it's clear just how much love and care went into the overall product, and it shows.

The bad, though:
- some maps are just dark, like "I'm spending more time in the automap than the main view" dark. This may just be my GZDoom settings, but after Claustrophilia alone I was burned out and needed a rest.

- there are numerous mis-textured water/lava/slime falls. I should grabbed screenshots but I was mainly playing for fun. Sorry. ;)

- Linguica already mentioned that one bridge. I wouldn't so much say it's "easy to fall through in GZDoom" as it is "impossible to actually cross". Had to noclip.
- this one missing texture I did get a snap of:

Screenshot_Doom_20180712_230534.png.91f121224af5ff5c1851136b3e633d68.png

Please though, don't be fooled by these negatives. There's so much good about this thing that I'd be here all day. Great work, everybody deserves the praise and attention. This should be on Steam as a standalone game with a pricetag, though -- everybody involved deserves the recompense, as I keep saying. :)

43 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

Sure does feel like a lost '90s FPS, although it was more BUILD than DOOM-engine if that makes any sense?

I also found myself thinking this quite often, in my case because the level design reminds me of the approach taken in a lot of maps for the "holy trinity" of Build games - which is to say, a map represents a specific locale complete with appropriate furniture and layout, but with an element of abstraction that keeps things entertaining. The feeling I get from a supermarket in Duke 3D, or a hospital in Blood, I get from the farm in REKKR - for example.

20 minutes ago, Rook said:

complete with appropriate furniture

I'll admit I did a double-take at E1M5's modern bathroom, complete with shower cabin and toilet seat.

4 hours ago, Jayextee said:

- Linguica already mentioned that one bridge. I wouldn't so much say it's "easy to fall through in GZDoom" as it is "impossible to actually cross". Had to noclip.

I didn't have a problem with it, but I did find where you could fall through.  It was certainly never impossible for me to cross in any source port...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjHd0nPE67c&feature=youtu.be
Dunno what else to do to it.

You're not crazy.  I wouldn't recommend playing with it (jumping and crouching will likely break maps), but you can if you want.

Hmmmm, what "classic" source port would folks recommend for this? I want something as close to vanilla as possible but without the limits of vanilla DooM, because I tried it with Chocolate Doom and got a visplane error on E1M2.

As for the mod itself, this is spectacular and despite visibly being built on DooM's framework feels like something wholly different thanks to the extensive Dehacked work and clever level design---I love some of the puzzles for feeling more like something out of Myst or the like. Well done!

Great total conversion all around. I find it much more enjoyable than Heretic and Hexen.

Couple issues I have noticed, though:

- After acquiring the Berserk powerup, the Axe still has a higher selection priority despite becoming weaker.

- On E2M2: Drained, there is an acid texture that should not be there:

wrong_texture_e2m2.jpg.0a5ce18065a086cf177dbb8dc28b755a.jpg

Also, a suggestion: would it not make more sense to assign the Soul Gun weapon to the same weapon slot as the Bow, since they use the same ammunition type?

Finally, I am a bit confused about the Holy Relic weapon: it seems to fill the same purpose as the default shotgun, yet it is assigned to the same weapon slot as the Plasma Rifle, it does not seem particularly powerful against anything above the basic Former Human enemies and there is an annoying delay before firing that makes the weapon even more awkward to use. Am I missing something here?

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

Does anyone uses Doomsday in order to play REKKR?

There are some issues I noticed:

- Episode titles are not visible

- Skill levels are not visible

- REKKR doesn't seem to support FMOD for sound and music

Any ideas or solutions?

7 hours ago, Linguica said:

Did you purposely change the default? Any particular reason?

Some people couldn't change it apparently - not sure why, or if they were just doing it wrong or what. I never had any issue. I figure people can turn nojumping etc back on easy enough.

2 hours ago, Revae said:

Some people couldn't change it apparently - not sure why, or if they were just doing it wrong or what. I never had any issue. I figure people can turn nojumping etc back on easy enough.

Suit yourself, but if jumping defaults to on in GZDoom, a bunch of people will jump through / break all the maps, especially if they aren't terribly familiar with Doom / aren't aware that this is a strict Doom mod where jumping doesn't exist.

7 hours ago, KwadDamyj said:

Hmmmm, what "classic" source port would folks recommend for this? I want something as close to vanilla as possible but without the limits of vanilla DooM, because I tried it with Chocolate Doom and got a visplane error on E1M2.

What you want is Crispy Doom. 

Yeah.  I didn't really want to do it, but if it's preventing people from having options then I figured it was for the best.  Maybe I'll just turn off crouching and jumping by default anyway, probably a good compromise.  I still have to do a final version of this thing and work out the last bugs...

@KwadDamyj, where did you get the visplane error?  I've never gotten one on that map without noclipping.

17 minutes ago, Revae said:

Maybe I'll just turn off crouching and jumping by default anyway, probably a good compromise. 

Sounds like a good compromise to me at least =)

The hidden compartment with the map in E2M6 does not register as a secret without the use of the noclip command. Also, I cannot find the eighth secret; according to Youtuber pagb666, it is due to a mistagged sector.

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

@wyland, I hadn't used doomsday in probably over a decade (feels like it anyway).
I gave it a whirl with REKKR, and I don't think it's going to work.

53 minutes ago, lupinx-Kassman said:

Sounds like a good compromise to me at least =)

Agreed, plus disabling jump/crouch is pretty common for vanilla-type projects. (Freelook at least is generally left alone.)

3 hours ago, Revae said:

Yeah.  I didn't really want to do it, but if it's preventing people from having options then I figured it was for the best.  Maybe I'll just turn off crouching and jumping by default anyway, probably a good compromise.  I still have to do a final version of this thing and work out the last bugs...

@KwadDamyj, where did you get the visplane error?  I've never gotten one on that map without noclipping.

Happened in the Northern room with the minecart track-looking structures.

Also attached: E4M9's ocean not working right on GZDoom (I've also seen it work wrong with some other source ports).

Screenshot_Doom_20180716_210130.png

59 minutes ago, KwadDamyj said:

Happened in the Northern room with the minecart track-looking structures.

Also attached: E4M9's ocean not working right on GZDoom (I've also seen it work wrong with some other source ports).

visplane overflow: fixed?  I reduced some planes, but I can't recreate this.

ocean thing: Fixed. That level isn't important though.  There are some HOMs and stuff there.  It's pretty much just used for the intro sequence when playing vanilla (or with a demo compatible engine).  Almost didn't include a secret exit to it.

Currently on E2M2 and have been enjoying it quite a bit thus far. The art is really fantastic (especially for the weapons), the music is really nice, pleasant, and never gets grating no matter how long I get lost, and the changes have been really interesting to observe. It's weird having to adjust my playstyle to picking up the souls from downed enemies ASAP, as that actually changes the utility of weapons depending on the situation (the rune weapon is decent for clearing out mobs but you can only lob them one at a time if you want to grab some souls). Pretty neat stuff thus far—must've taken foreverrrrr to put together, good lord.

The only things I have to really knock are map design in general, as the set unapologetically entrenches itself in some 90's design philosophy, which can get vexing at times (E1:M3 was 30 minutes of "where do I gooooo?"). I'm also playing on skill 3 and feel like there's a really harsh lack of health and armor. Of course I'm not finding much/any of the secrets which would mitigate that some, but I'm quite surprised at how harsh the set is even in the early mapslots. In fact I think the differences in difficulties is minimal at best: the start of E2M1 has the same assortment of enemies as well as the same amount of weaponry/ammo/heath for both skill 2 and skill 4, which feels bogus to me. The number of monsters remains the same irrespective of the difficulty it seems, which is crazy to me since some of the hordes could easily be trimmed down to provide for a more fun/lax experience.

Really cool stuff though, besides that. Still trying to make heads or tails about how I feel about the weapon changes—the new Number 7 Weapon feels amazing to use every time.

I am having a hard time locating all items on E3M3: Dungeon. Out of 49, I have only acquired 13 (26%) of them and I have no idea where the rest is.

I think it's just one secret you're missing.  Bunch of armor shards.

This level does not appear to have any secrets. But if there is a hidden room that does not count as a secret, then could you give me a hint as to where it can be found?