Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revae

REKKR - V1.16

6 hours ago, Linguica said:

I notice there's a new colormap that seems to try and retain saturation as a color gets darker, how did you generate it?

Slade, and then altered most of it by hand if I recall correctly...

1 hour ago, Linguica said:

DraQu played it earlier

Aaaaand got stuck in E1M3.
Just to be clear, that map isn't bugged.  There's just a little puzzle that he kept running past.

2 other people have complained about that puzzle though, so maybe I'll change it.  Maybe (probably) it's just not apparent enough, or maybe people just don't expect puzzles at all so they're caught looking for doom-like solutions...  Ah well.

On 9/23/2016 at 12:49 AM, Revae said:

rekkrthing.png.e8731d42c0cf86ded2c29196f0030cd0.png

Oh, wow, it's released! I've been thinking about this ever since I first saw the thread! Congratulations! There goes my productivity...

I've really been looking forward to this!  The theme is really interesting...kinda like a steampunk Heretic or something.

Congrats on the release :)

I can already imagine the article for this in the Cacowards. Congratulations on the release.

7 hours ago, Revae said:

Aaaaand got stuck in E1M3.
Just to be clear, that map isn't bugged.  There's just a little puzzle that he kept running past.

2 other people have complained about that puzzle though, so maybe I'll change it.  Maybe (probably) it's just not apparent enough, or maybe people just don't expect puzzles at all so they're caught looking for doom-like solutions...  Ah well.

I too got stuck on E1M3. Not on the puzzle though I found that to be intuitive and rather liked it.
I just completely missed a tunnel and wondered around for 30 minutes looking for progression.

Heh, Between missing that Wode/Berserk powerup multiple times too running into mimic Health Potions, I got stuck on E1M2!

But I can definitely see the effort put into this though, especially after working on my own fantasy conversion, so I know the amount of time that must have gone into this.

Congrats on capturing that 90s FPS feeling. 

Grats on coming through & delivering on a massive undertaking! Real cool to see some regulars from the community in the dev credits also, gonna be giving this a stab for sure. =)

18 hours ago, Revae said:

Maybe (probably) it's just not apparent enough, or maybe people just don't expect puzzles at all so they're caught looking for doom-like solutions...  Ah well.

...and that's why I am super stuck trying to solve the puzzles at E2M9

EDIT: Gew tired of it... and it was a hell lot more entertaining figuring how they work in Builder and then trying my solution in-game :D

Edited by pagb : Problem solved

I imagine that, in the future, someone might want to make new levels with your resources. How do you feel about that? I ask, because you put so much work into your resources. It seems like you deserve to have a lot of content in this same theme. One day, you might be able to play new REKKR maps you've never seen before!

Is that something you encourage? (I read the text file, where you list which resources LupinxKassman made, and where you state: "Use anything else (other than LupinxKassman's resources...ask him first) for whatever, just don't sell it.  I'd appreciate it if you credit." I just want to make sure that it'd be ok to make a map add-on pack, and I'm curious if you considered that someone might want to.

This is a massive accomplishment, very cool and interesting, and I thank you! Congratulations!

Is it just me or is it awfully easy to fall inside on the starting bridge of E3M4 and get stuck? Especially in GZDoom.

14 minutes ago, kb1 said:

(I read the text file, where you list which resources LupinxKassman made, and where you state: "Use anything else (other than LupinxKassman's resources...ask him first) for whatever, just don't sell it. 

On that note, I'm totally cool with people using any of the KS_ prefixed resources under the same circumstances as well! 

Guys, you gotta play this. I have just started with the first three levels plus secret level and it's insanely good. The weapons rock, the sounds are spot-on, the music creates a lot of atmosphere, the levels are well designed with occasional puzzles that actually require some thinking, monsters look convincing and so on. I also loved how tricky the secret level in the first episode was hidden, and the level itself was also very different from the usual maps and quite rewarding.

Maybe you should really turn this into an IWAD since it's so different from Doom and has such high quality that it definitely stands out from most other mods and would deserve the standalone treatment, similar to HacX, Chex Quest or Harmony. I also suggest this since you are going for an approach to handle this like a classic wad from 1996.

As far as I am concerned, and even without having played it completely yet, REKKR is the best Doom mod released this year, with a viking-style setting that you certainly don't see in games too often. Seal of approval from me!

Edited by NightFright

It's not an IWAD, but it has the potential to become one if the author wishes so.

I played the first episode. It's cool overall and everything is well made, a very refined work. I must say that some of the monsters design felt rather "anonymous", except the eyeball, the floating spider and the tree (that was my favourite).

On 7/10/2018 at 6:07 PM, Memfis said:

How do you guys feel about the combat in terms of audio and visual feedback? Do you get that cool feeling when you shoot powerful weapons, kill groups of monsters, and look at their corpses falling to the ground? Better than Heretic? Worse than Doom? Too early to judge?

I would say that you don't have the same powerful feelings of Heretic, and Doom. Those, especially Heretic, have a more "colorful" style with the monsters and the sounds, while here it feels less striking but it's coherent with the overall style of the wad, which is also a hard thing to achieve I guess.

It should be possible, especially since that's one of the main reasons Freedoom was created (being able to play mods without original Doom 1/2 iwads).

Some of the REKKR monsters look a bit like those from Freedoom, but I don't mind since the levels are full of atmosphere and the scenario is rather uncommon.

5 hours ago, Gez said:

It's not an IWAD, but it has the potential to become one if the author wishes so.

I was thinking the same thing. It has everything you need for an IWAD. (It may require a few specially-named files that the more-vanilla ports expect, just to keep the port happy, but that's easy to do.)

But, I guess requiring the Doom IWAD keeps the lawyers happy, huh?

Afaik it works exactly the same with the freedoom iwad as with the doom iwad. Ive only tested it a little though. Cant think why it wouldn't

I was watching @MegaBlast stream and noticed the jackalopes weren't crushed in GZDoom like they do in vanilla, I heard this had a possibility of happening but its still makes me wanna point it out.

So I guess this is more for the Rekkord, but the open 'shop' in E2M6 was supposed to be some kind of jackalope crushing mechanism.

Also I'm know I'm a bit late to the party but congrats to all involved on the release and thanks for letting me contribute my two maps.

Maybe I'm just retarded (I'm willing to bet that I am) but I don't know how to get the red key in E1M3, after a while I searched up a walkthrough and saw that you were supposed to stand on a pressure pad to lower the bars and get the key, but when I do that nothing happens. Did I miss Something? Am I supposed to activate something else first?

@Tindrone

It's a puzzle.

Spoiler

There's a set of 3 tiles located elsewhere in the level.  You need to walk over and highlight the tile that has the symbol that corresponds to the one near the bars.

I got stuck at first as I missed that particular location.

Currently I'm on E2M9.  I have no idea how to do the puzzles with all the switches.

I've been playing in GZDoom.  Overall, the game is very well-made.  Sound effects are satisfying and music fits the theme.

Edited by TheUltimateDoomer666

I know it's the fashion to get pieces up quickly, that REKKR is "only" a Doom mod, and that it's great to see some coverage of this all the same - but to me, all three of those pieces linked above are very lazy and certainly don't do this justice.

I'm quite close to reaching the end of E2, and still thoroughly enjoying this. I found the weapons a little underpowered at first but I'm warmimg to them. Maybe the single most impressive thing about REKKR is that it uses all the vanilla Doom editing tricks I know of (and a few I didn't) to create immersive environments without leaning on advanced source port features.