Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revae

REKKR - V1.16

Sure thing, but if you don't know it's hard and you just entered the secret level because you thought it's fun, you can't enjoy it since these puzzles prevent you from getting back to the regular maps. There should at least be a way to skip this, like an exit with a timed door (opens after a while) in the starting room which you can take if you don't want to collect the rewards for solving the puzzles. 

2 hours ago, NightFright said:

Sure thing, but if you don't know it's hard and you just entered the secret level because you thought it's fun, you can't enjoy it since these puzzles prevent you from getting back to the regular maps. There should at least be a way to skip this, like an exit with a timed door (opens after a while) in the starting room which you can take if you don't want to collect the rewards for solving the puzzles. 

You don't even need to solve a single puzzle to exit that map.

E1M7 SPOILERS

Spoiler

whats this referring to? it was pretty neat to find but i just dont know what its about.Screenshot_Doom_20180721_103606.png.0b6a39ac62756231deb163d18fd95e0d.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180721_103631.png.ade41e2178adf746bb8ba24d498676ca.png

2 hours ago, moonboot said:

E1M7 SPOILERS

Reveal hidden contents

whats this referring to? it was pretty neat to find but i just dont know what its about.Screenshot_Doom_20180721_103606.png.0b6a39ac62756231deb163d18fd95e0d.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180721_103631.png.ade41e2178adf746bb8ba24d498676ca.png

Cool, somebody found it :). It's a reoccurring secret I've been putting in my maps. You can find a similar one in ancient aliens map24

1.12 is done.
Buncha bug fixes, some gameplay changes (mostly to weapon speeds and ammo drop amounts). Edited deathmatch stuff...

Hopefully the final version, but I'll sit on it for a sec before uploading it to idgames.

Thanks! Any chance of a detailed changelog, though?

Also, just for fun, I made a custom shortcun icon for the mod. Nothing special, really, but I just thought I'd share it with you all:

REKKR_icon.7z

6 hours ago, Revae said:

1.12 is done.
Buncha bug fixes, some gameplay changes (mostly to weapon speeds and ammo drop amounts). Edited deathmatch stuff...

Hopefully the final version, but I'll sit on it for a sec before uploading it to idgames.

Good to hear about this! By the way, did you fix that annoying bug where the Eyeball Generator in E4M5 keeps spawning enemies even with the -nomonsters flag turned on ?

18 hours ago, lupinx-Kassman said:

Cool, somebody found it :). It's a reoccurring secret I've been putting in my maps. You can find a similar one in ancient aliens map24

Yea yea, but will it be in BTSX e3 and TNT 2 :O

I am replaying the mod right now to see if all the issues I have noticed have been fixed. I started with E4M1 and I had no problem getting all the items.

However, in E1M2, I seem to be missing 10 items.

3 hours ago, D.Vile said:

Good to hear about this! By the way, did you fix that annoying bug where the Eyeball Generator in E4M5 keeps spawning enemies even with the -nomonsters flag turned on ?

Nope. The only way to do that would be to make the eyeball generator a monster itself by giving it a affectskill% flag. But it's not killable.

When you enter the 3 color door at the end it stops though.

2 hours ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

However, in E1M2, I seem to be missing 10 items.

Apparently I mistoggled mp only on some items in the arena section

Well fuck. 

34 minutes ago, Revae said:

Nope. The only way to do that would be to make the eyeball generator a monster itself by giving it a affectskill% flag. But it's not killable.

When you enter the 3 color door at the end it stops though.

Then you should at least use the 'NOTDMATCH' flag to prevent it from harassing players during deathmatches. Nobody plays deathmatch with monsters on anyway.

Alternatively, you could simply create a copy of the map area and move all deathmatch starts from the original to the copy, and then remove the Eyeball Generator from the new multiplayer arena.

49 minutes ago, D.Vile said:

Then you should at least use the 'NOTDMATCH' flag to prevent it from harassing players during deathmatches. Nobody plays deathmatch with monsters on anyway. 

Alternatively, you could simply create a copy of the map area and move all deathmatch starts from the original to the copy, and then remove the Eyeball Generator from the new multiplayer arena. 

There is no such flag in vanilla.

But the latter I could do.  And have for many maps.

In E1M5, the newly-added Grotesques on the passageway to the Red Key can mess with the switch puzzle if they are not killed first. I had to noclip out of the tunnel with the three switches, because the passageway would not lower itself.

I added Eternity launcher support for the IWAD. The autoscan feature also works for it, searching for "REKKRSA.WAD" (case-insensitive) in the to-be-scanned directories. It's available in the dev-builds already and will be available in major releases V4.01.00 or later. Here's a ½-scale preview of what it looks like.

image.png.cee3a6b84adf710a49f183b993e165d4.png

I've been playing through this far too slowly for my own good, but deeply enjoyed E1. Really impressive, especially given that this is a vanilla WAD. So fresh and different. Also the secret level was damn hilarious.

@Revae This is a pipe dream but you should definitely have this function as an iwad and do a very limited physical release. I know the logistics are a pain in the butt and it won't happen but this would be some super cool memorabilia to have. It'd be a nice way to support you as a content creator too.

This is truly one of the best TCs out there. It's like you bought a Doom clone 20 years ago, put it in the attic, forgot it and then rediscovered it.

My only gripes with it are that some levels are needlessly confusing and I find the Rune Launcher to be kind of useless.

the cool technical bits have already been praised quite a bit, but I want to pile on and comment that the hitscan closets that power a majority of the complicated scripts/puzzles is absolutely brilliant ;D

3 hours ago, Ribbiks said:

the cool technical bits have already been praised quite a bit, but I want to pile on and comment that the hitscan closets that power a majority of the complicated scripts/puzzles is absolutely brilliant ;D

Some dude on /vr/ gave me the idea. The only downside is the hitscan dummies can only trigger gr door open stay line actions, so I couldn't have them trigger moving floors at all. You can still pull off some tricky stuff though.

Just finished episode 2 last night. This mod is real good. Good job to all who worked on it!

Another commendable thing about it is how perfectly balanced the enemy lineup is (a trait shared by Adventures of Square). Doom already has a pretty good lineup but some of its monsters are lacking such as the Pinky, Baron and Cacodemon. One is just cannon fodder, another is just a stronger imp and the last one is just a flying Imp.

In REKKR, melee enemies are dangerous and even the lowest enemies are quite dangerous. The Sorrow for example is what I think the Cacodemon should have been. Actually, I think Revenants are often so over-used because they are one of the few enemies with interesting projectiles whereas in REKKR every projectile enemy has a different projectile.

These user-made TCs, which are the result of more than 20 years of modding, are truly the pinnacle of Doom modding and I can't wait to see what's next.

For the next one, just rebalance some of the weapons and make the levels a little less confusing. If this were a paid product, I would buy it.

On 7/23/2018 at 5:38 AM, DooM_RO said:

This is truly one of the best TCs out there. It's like you bought a Doom clone 20 years ago, put it in the attic, forgot it and then rediscovered it.

My only gripes with it are that some levels are needlessly confusing and I find the Rune Launcher to be kind of useless.

Useless ? Since the runes call the Explode codepointer twice, they stack an absurd amount of damage! Personally, I've found the weapon pretty decent for killing Former Dukes and SkeletonSpiders, provided that the latter is flying close enough. It's also useful against the occasional monster horde, like the one near the end of E3M7.

One thing of note is that the Rune Launcher should theoretically also be the perfect weapon for dealing with ghost monsters (https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Ghost_monster), since the runes don't even need to be near a wall to deal splash damage.

6 hours ago, D.Vile said:

Useless ? Since the runes call the Explode codepointer twice, they stack an absurd amount of damage! Personally, I've found the weapon pretty decent for killing Former Dukes and SkeletonSpiders, provided that the latter is flying close enough. It's also useful against the occasional monster horde, like the one near the end of E3M7.

One thing of note is that the Rune Launcher should theoretically also be the perfect weapon for dealing with ghost monsters (https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Ghost_monster), since the runes don't even need to be near a wall to deal splash damage.

Wait, so hitting it does the same damage as the explode? That doesn't make much sense. Either way, I found the weapon to be quite clumsy to use. I mean, as an alternative fire it could work. Maybe in the next game there can be different types of runes. One that acts like a grenade, one that freezes and one that acts like a flamethrower?

No, direct impact deals on average less damage than being close to the center of the explosion.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Rocket

1d8x20 damage for impact, so a statistical average of 90. Up to 128 for blast, depending on proximity (each map unit of distance reduces damage by 1, 128 or more map units away you're safe). With two blasts, that's up to 256 for blast damage (with each map unit of distance reducing damage by 2).

Good job on this wad. It really catches the "doom clone" feel from the 90s. And I always find SUPER amusing to check what kind of dehacked trickery is used in this kind of project. Man... this should be avaiable on Steam or something, it's better than 95% of the catalogue.

10 hours ago, pagb said:

this should be avaiable on Steam or something

Anyone know how to make a stand-alone .exe style thing for this? I tried to with zdoom (+ WASD controls added) but I had to use a shortcut because I don't know what I'm doing. I was able to rename the zdoom.exe 'rekkr' and change it's icon (using the JohnnyTheWolf icon), but I couldn't get it to auto accept the rekkr Iwad, so had to use a shortcut which didn't really work once the file was zipped and downloaded by someone else.

Also I'm not actually sure on if its allowed to sell zdoom bundled with a wad...

https://zdoom.org/wiki/IWADINFO

• Either make an IWADINFO lump in Rekkr, rename rekkr.wad to rekkr.iwad
  • Or edit GZDoom's own IWADINFO to put the Rekkr info in it

GZDoom is now GPL, so you're allowed to sell it (not good old plain ZDoom, though). You will need to remove the zd_extra.pk3 file from the distribution however, as it contains all the engine assets that are derived from commercial data (such as the game fonts for example).

Still loving this.  It really is great to play a good old-fashioned FPS without all that pesky mouselook malarky. ;)

I'm just curious, though, why you chose to go with Doom.WAD instead of Heretic?  It seems to me that the game just seems like a better fit.  For instance, personally, I feel that Rekkr could really benefit from the ambient sounds that Heretic is capable of producing.  Like I say, just curious. :)

PS:  Also, thank you for calling your game something unique instead of following today's trend of generic tosh!  Google searchers will thank for many years to come!