Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revae

REKKR - V1.16

53 minutes ago, Revae said:

You could add those back via a zscript lump without overwriting anything since it'll load multiple zscript lumps with the same name and all. They just need a projectile and a thing to fire them.  

I'll consider it, but I wanna keep it vanilla first. Though maybe I will resort to DEHEXTRA, that sounds like something I'd try out. Hell, if I've readded the ship demo from the original Rekkr, I might as well.

Edited by brightentayle

OK, I finished Sunken Land, UV saveless from bow start.

The last boss was great even though I beat it from first try.

E4M7 was awesome, probably the best map in the game.

The ending picture was perfect, but it gives quite a different mood from the original, which was a bit more bleak.

I noticed a mistake in the ending text, there's a double "to" at some point.

There's also the balcony in the starting area in E4M6 which has a portion that you can simply walk through right in the middle.

Otherwise I don't think I've encountered any bugs.

Fixed. The misalignment was caused by that section of the map being closed off on easier difficulties. So that wall is essentially a giant doortrak I forgot to unpeg.

Also added REKBONUS.wad to the autoload, and some other minor fixes. Update going out probably tonight.

Cool! Looking forward to it.

Anyway, what is the solution to the final puzzle in E2M9? I have no idea what I am supposed to do there.

7 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

what is the solution to the final puzzle in E2M9? I have no idea what I am supposed to do there.

Spoiler

It's an 8 bit number. the switches on the outside (starting at the little zigzag break on the floor) are 00000001 (which is one), 00000010 (two), 000000100 (four), and 00001000 (eight). The eyes in the middle are 00010000 (sixteen), 00100000 (thirty-two), 01000000 (sixty-four), and 10000000 (one-hundred and twenty eight). So 1-255 are possible depending on how you add them up. The room that lets you add and subtract them will tell you which eyes switches correlate to which numbers. The eye-switch room is addition only, and you have to hit the switches to add up to the number of chevrons on the wall. Attached pic related. The red line is the zigzag. 

temp.png

Thanks! So the reward to successfully solving all the puzzles is the ability to get through the map without facing a single enemy?

Or am I missing something here?

1 minute ago, Rudolph said:

Thanks! So the reward to successfully solving all the puzzles is the ability to get through the map without facing a single enemy?

Or am I missing something here?

You also get items that get locked off otherwise armor and such iirc... But pretty much, the puzzles are their own fun.

Oh. Not going to lie, but in a game like Doom, skipping fights feels more of a penalty than a reward. :P

If the only negative consequence to the final puzzle is more enemies get spawned, then I am not even going to bother getting it right.

Still, thanks a bunch for the solution!

Where is the eight secret in E2M6. Is there even one?

I am asking, because according to pagb666's 2018 playthrough, it is a bug: 

Yeah, apparently that one slipped through. Thought I'd fixed it, but I guess I was thinking about the secret above the bed (which is fixed). Well both are fixed now anyway. Update in like... I dunno... 15 minutes.

Oh dude, when REKKR first released I accidentally broke claustrophilia at the last minute and made it unbeatable.

So. Shit happens. Especially with few testers and last minute changes.

Oh, right, I've just remembered: the portal back to E4M7's hub, - specifically the one in the Greek/Roman/Mesopotamian sublevel, - only works on the front side. You can go behind it for some health, but from there, you can pass right through it.

Edited by brightentayle

@Revae While you are at it, could you please replace the secret steelshot bag in E2M1 by something useful for that map, like an early armor or a Berserk? It would also avoid the extra steelshot ammo going to waste once you acquire the Steelshot Launcher in E2M2.

On 10/11/2021 at 1:57 PM, Revae said:

It's only an iwad by gzdoom standards.

I must've missed this post. Do you plan to make it an IWAD by the standards of other ports as well at some point?

ALSO: testing this in vanilla Doom as a PWAD (merging with DEUSF), the game gets stuck on "adding doom.wad", and just stays there. I've also tried appending sprites/flats and using NWT instead, but they all yield similar results, getting suck on different parts of the startup console. This doesn't seem to happen in Chocolate when using the -merge paramter.

Edited by OpenRift

47 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

I must've missed this post. Do you plan to make it an IWAD by the standards of other ports as well at some point?

i think it has all needed to be recognized as an IWAD, already.
Well, it has it on rekkrsa.wad.

All you need to had an IWAD is a replacement to all the original Doom assets.
And REKKR has them since long ago and far more textures, sprites, and floor tiles, too.
Its a matter of the developers of the different source-ports to add it as a recognized IWAD, pretty much as it was done with HACX.
A few years back, before  the proper IWAD-ish version of HACX was released, it wasn't recognized as an iwad by almost no source-port, even when it was a well known total conversion and has everything to be an IWAD...except a playpal and a few assets already present in Doom2.

2 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

i think it has all needed to be recognized as an IWAD, already.
Well, it has it on rekkrsa.wad.

All you need to had an IWAD is a replacement to all the original Doom assets.
And REKKR has them since long ago and far more text and new ones, too.
Its a matter of the developers of the different source-ports to add it as a recognized IWAD, pretty much as it was done with HACX.
A few years back, before  the proper IWAD-ish version of HACX was released, it wasn't recognized as an iwad by almost no source-port, even when it was a well known total conversion and has everything to be an IWAD...except a playpal and a few assets already present in Doom2.

Yeah, Rekkrsa.wad works fine as an IWAD, but something notable about REKKRSL.WAD is that there are A LOT of missing patches in the textures. It seems like a lot of them were just copied straight from Doom.wad instead of using the patch replacements found in rekkrsa.wad. I don't know why that is, but it seems to be the most prominent obstacle in making it into a proper IWAD. In fact, the first error you get when loading SL as an IWAD in Chocolate Doom is "R_InitTextures: Missing patch in texture AASTINKY".

Just now, OpenRift said:

Yeah, Rekkrsa.wad works fine as an IWAD, but something notable about REKKRSL.WAD is that there are A LOT of missing patches in the textures. It seems like a lot of them were just copied straight from Doom.wad instead of using the patch replacements found in rekkrsa.wad. I don't know why that is, but it seems to be the most prominent obstacle in making it into a proper IWAD. In fact, the first error you get when loading SL as an IWAD in Chocolate Doom is "R_InitTextures: Missing patch in texture AASTINKY".

try renaming REKKRSL.wad to REKKRSA.wad
If the problem persist, well the problem is real and not a source port just not wanting to recognize rekkrsl.wad as an iwad

3 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

try renaming REKKRSL.wad to REKKRSA.wad
If the problem persist, well the problem is real and not a source port just not wanting to recognize rekkrsl.wad as an iwad

Still persists. Same exact error. 

Also I think most source ports don't recognize an IWAD based solely on file name, but contents. I know this because I've renamed REKKRSA.WAD to REKKR.WAD for a long time and Chocolate recognizes it as an IWAD just fine. 

1 minute ago, OpenRift said:

Still persists. Same exact error. 

Also I think most source ports don't recognize an IWAD based solely on file name, but contents. I know this because I've renamed REKKRSA.WAD to REKKR.WAD for a long time and Chocolate recognizes it as an IWAD just fine. 

so yes, rekkrsl.wad has a problem in the texture patch, probably, that hinders it proper iwad-ification.

It reads rekkr.wad, too as i think it was added as an iwad way before rekkrsa.wad was released.

I remember playing rekkr.1.12 or so an it being recognized, too.

2 minutes ago, brightentayle said:

> "rename REKKRSL.wad to REKKRSA.wad, should work"

lol

it was a suggestion to see if it was a real problem of a missing patch on the patches collums or if it was the source-port trying to find a patch that doesn't exist on the iwad since it was looking for doom assets and not those defined on rekkr.

i didn't say it would work, i suggest to check to be sure, nothing else.

REKKRSA.wad just has those textures removed from the TEXTURE2/1 lump. Iirc they need to be there for it to function properly as a pwad (I don't remember the specifics, it was all trial and error at the time). 

The problem essentially is that I can't make it an iwad and pwad at the same time, but I don't remember why. For instance you can't load REKKRSA.wad as a pwad in chocolate.

8 minutes ago, Revae said:

REKKRSA.wad just has those textures removed from the TEXTURE2/1 lump. Iirc they need to be there for it to function properly as a pwad (I don't remember the specifics, it was all trial and error at the time). 

The problem essentially is that I can't make it an iwad and pwad at the same time, but I don't remember why. For instance you can't load REKKRSA.wad as a pwad in chocolate.

problem is not only the texture patches.

In slade, you are not allowed to make iwads, but other editors like XWE allows that.
Its something on the hex code, if i remember right. Some sourceports had them code to auto recognize it.
@OpenRift have you tried to hex hack it as an iwad? you know how to do it? I remmeber seeing it somewhere around here not long ago.
maybe its all there already, and its just that interfering.

Just now, P41R47 said:

problem is not only the texture patches.

In slade, you are not allowed to make iwads, but other editors like XWE allows that.
Its something on the hex code, if i remember right. Some sourceports had them code to auto recognize it.
@OpenRift have you tried to hex hack it as an iwad? oh, sorry, you know how to do it?
maybe its all there already, and its just that interfering.

The first thing you do is on the very first line in a hex editor, it says PWAD. Just change that to IWAD and it recognizes it as such. Tried this when making my standalone DOS setup for REKKR Classic (which I'm working on right now instead of being productive lol), which bypasses the PWAD warning message in vanilla.

1 minute ago, OpenRift said:

The first thing you do is on the very first line in a hex editor, it says PWAD. Just change that to IWAD and it recognizes it as such. Tried this when making my standalone DOS setup for REKKR Classic (which I'm working on right now instead of being productive lol), which bypasses the PWAD warning message in vanilla.

and the error still persist.

mmm, so yes, there are some patches problem.

side question, dehacked is an editor that shows the hex data as separate items, to define it roughly.
changing the PWAD hash to IWAD on hex is similar to changing the string on dehacked called doom.wad to rekkr.wad?

DEHACKED is the Doom EXE Hack Editor. You can't dehack WADs.

Pretty sure most port don't care whether a file has an IWAD or PWAD signature. I know you can do things like load Doom 1 as a PWAD in Doom II, or vice-versa, and it technically works.

Just now, P41R47 said:

and the error still persist.

mmm, so yes, there are some patches problem.

side question, dehacked is an editor that shows the hex data as separate items, to define it roughly.
 changing the PWAD hash to IWAD on hex is similar to changing the string on dehacked called doom.wad to rekkr.wad?

It is somewhat similar, but not entirely. Dehacked has some significant limitations compared to a hex editor (can't edit par times or exit messages).

What your suggesting is something I've already tried, and again, it works with REKKR Classic, but not with Sunken Land.

1 minute ago, Gez said:

Pretty sure most port don't care whether a file has an IWAD or PWAD signature. I know you can do things like load Doom 1 as a PWAD in Doom II, or vice-versa, and it technically works.

Everything except vanilla, which only displays the usual PWAD warning as a result.