Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revae

REKKR - V1.16

On 1/3/2023 at 11:14 AM, brightentayle said:

The platforms in the hurty floor room don't rise all the way up on my end, and that's in the version of GZDoom REKKR came with! Didn't find any other trigger to raise them, either, so had to noclip through.

I swear on me fukkin mum this was working. Blah.

Is anyone else unable to install the Zoom Platform version of REKKR? Whenever I try to do so, I get this error near the end of the installation:

Error creating registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ZOOM PLATFORM

RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5.

Access is denied.

The only thing that I can do that doesn't cause the error to be displayed again is to click "Cancel installation", which does exactly what it says. And yes, I am running the installer as an administrator.

I had no problem installing the previous version, by the way.

The only upside is that the installer does write all the game files before trying to access the registry, so I can at least copy or move the files while the error is displayed.

In case it helps, I am running Windows 10 64-bit 22H2, and the file that I'm running is REKKR-Sunken-Land-x64-(v1.0.9)-English-Setup-1.1.exe.

I think I found a bug in E6M5:

In this map, there is a disconnected room that has exactly 15 enemies, including some eyeballs. However, while I can open the door that lets them teleport into the level, I can't seem to get them to wake up. A look in Ultimate Doom Builder suggests that there's no way for sound to reach that room.

23 hours ago, Yarn366 said:

Is anyone else unable to install the Zoom Platform version of REKKR? Whenever I try to do so, I get this error near the end of the installation:

have you tried running the installer as an administrator?

that error sounds like windows is preventing the program to write to a system-wide branch of the registry tree

11 hours ago, Yarn366 said:

I think I found a bug in E6M5:

In this map, there is a disconnected room that has exactly 15 enemies, including some eyeballs. However, while I can open the door that lets them teleport into the level, I can't seem to get them to wake up. A look in Ultimate Doom Builder suggests that there's no way for sound to reach that room.

Thanks! Someone else noticed it too.

It's been fixed. It used to be connected, but then somewhere along the way it wasn't. Bugfix coming any minute now.

8 hours ago, Delfino Furioso said:

Help I accidentally quoted and can't get rid of the quote box on my phone!

Also make sure your admin acct has elevated access or whatever it's called.

22 hours ago, Delfino Furioso said:

have you tried running the installer as an administrator?

that error sounds like windows is preventing the program to write to a system-wide branch of the registry tree

Yes, I did. The same error still pops up.

Another bug:

In E6M6, the northwest area has a closed alcove containing two skelly bellies. There doesn't seem to be a way to open the alcove or get them to teleport out, rendering them unkillable.

4 hours ago, Yarn366 said:

Another bug:

In E6M6, the northwest area has a closed alcove containing two skelly bellies. There doesn't seem to be a way to open the alcove or get them to teleport out, rendering them unkillable.

Yup. That wall has an old tag that was replaced later. I'll change it. Patch eventually, but it'll probably be a while. Thanks.

On 1/23/2023 at 10:43 AM, MrFlibble said:

I keep forgetting to mention that the MBF-based version can be played in the browser via JS-DOS here:

https://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/rekkr

Hey, awesome! I was going to do that on my little home server when I was playing with js-dos, but I wanted to have a few games on one disk image, and rekkr tipped the scales and didn't fit with the other stuff.
I did get windows 95 working. clovr.xyz if anyone is curious. the little buttons at the bottom are DOS and Windows.

I don't know if I've said this before: But I would pay for a Doom 2 Rekkr, more monster, 32 levels, one continue game :)

6 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

I don't know if I've said this before: But I would pay for a Doom 2 Rekkr, more monster, 32 levels, one continue game :)

Tall order. Someone else will have to do it. 
FWIW, if I were to make a sequel to REKKR, it would be a prequel and you'd be fighting in the war before the undead invasion. But it's not likely to happen at all. Other things to do.

14 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

Also, there's a non-zero chance of the monster roll being borked.

Dehacked is kind of a bitch to work with, though its' not necessarily Dehacked's fault.

11 hours ago, Revae said:

Tall order. Someone else will have to do it. 
FWIW, if I were to make a sequel to REKKR, it would be a prequel and you'd be fighting in the war before the undead invasion. But it's not likely to happen at all. Other things to do.

Aw, I'm disappointed to hear your reply. But in hindsight I see where you're coming from.

Perhaps another expansion for Rekkr?

> be me

> remember that I have a ton of unfinished projects

> settle on finishing REKBONUS 2.5

> realise the V-R3KKR widescreen interpic is actually shorter than normal

> and the regular V-R3KKR interpic is the exact same as E4's

Right, imma try to cook something up this week

EDIT: Oh no, I may have to change up exactly one commercial level so that you can exit it in PrBoom+. I mean, sure, it is a free update that comes with Sunken Land, but like

EDIT 2: Oh, guess I can't run specifically Sunken Land in PrBoom+ 2.6.1 UM, either, since the FATB, FBXP, BSPI and PAIN sprites are missing. And, to clarify, I am using doom.wad as the IWAD.

EDIT 3: Loading VREKKR.WAD in the same port, on top of all that, exits with R_InitTextures: 1 errors. Not 100% why. Oh, it might be because of non-vanilla switch textures. I'll probably do a little bit of poiracy, and port VR-3KKR as episode 4 so I could get to the cause of it.

EDIT 4: Never mind, I'm dumb, TEXTURE1 and PNAMES in VREKKR.WAD apply only to the textures within that WAD. Welp. That explains why it doesn't run on anything vanilla-adjacent.

Edited by brightentayle

...well, I guess REKBONUS got fat enough to warrant a V3 instead of a V2.5, so here it is again.

REKBONUSV3.png.ac4799f9994bcec33766aab5fd456e2a.png

Your regularly scheduled changelog:

• Partial support for VR-3KKR (E6) through UMAPINFO! Playable, but definitely not completable, so prepare to idclip
  • New WILV's for E6
  • New interpics for E6: the original was 163 pixels tall for whatever reason, versus Doom's usual 200; fixing that took two hours of manual labour
  • Lumped all patch and texture definitions from VR-3KKR with Sunken Land's, for compatibility reasons
  • Added new menu graphics from REK_CRISPY_BONUS_FIX.ZIP by @SoDOOManiac
  • Added an all-new graphic for the (kinda meh) sixth difficulty skill, available in ports like RUDE and LZDoom; haven't seen it anywhere else yet
  • Fixed typos in MAPINFO so that it doesn't force you to bow start on every EXM8 (I'm a tartass)
  • Added placeholder sprites to fill in the FATB, FBXP, BSPI and PAIN sprite groups. This should make Sunken Land run on PrBoom+ et. al again
  • Brought back the old E5M6
  • Added appropriate skies for old Flurrious (E1M10) and home.wad (E5M10), thanks in part to @Devalaous (I've only added one line of ZMAPINFO, though, not the whole snippet - that caused the thing to crash)
  • Video options now feature HUD and statbar scaling - something the Steam version should've had in the open to begin with IMO
  • Vintage and Vintage+ video modes now show one message at most instead of four, for the genuine Doom clone experience; savegame messages are also capped
  • Episode selection screen is centred again, just to properly fit this big chonker of a menu
  • The arrow on the difficulty selection screen now resides just outside of the panel, so it no longer awkwardly pokes every skill level

Just bear in mind that if you want to get the full six-episode experience on PrBoom+ and the like, load VREKKR.WAD first, REKBONUS.WAD second. The version of GZDoom that came with Sunken Land loads those the other way around - but that's because it's less picky about texture placement.

Also, because the REKKR Tower of Power™ wasn't unweildy enough, V3 comes with a few optional patches, for your convenience:

• 5EPPANEL.WAD - the V1 REKBONUS episode selection graphic, perfect for Crispy.
  • 6DFPANEL.WAD - an all-new skill level selection graphic for ports that support the Unholy Matrimony difficulty.
  • VREKPAL.WAD - restores VR-3KKR's palette, which is overwritten by REKBONUS for load order reasons.
  • REKBONUS-WIDE.WAD - a version of REKKRSL.WAD by @Charlie Love with new interpics and new ending screen. Useful for ports that can support widescreen graphics but can't tell the squished and the elongated apart.

Next on the agenda is getting the waves back. And maybe, very possibly get the free version of REKKR up to snuff with Sunken Land's improvements?

1.17 when revae

Edited by brightentayle

9 hours ago, brightentayle said:

New interpics for E6: the original was 163 pixels tall for whatever reason, versus Doom's usual 200; fixing that took two hours of manual labour

Legit have no idea how that happened. 240 to 200 is 5/4 for 5:4 pixel aspect ratio and 5/4 * 200 is 160, but that that doesn't account for the other 3 pixels.
Must've been some typo or kid slamming on the keyboard at some point that I never noticed because VR-3KKR was intended to be GZDoom only and therefor never broke like it should've to let me know I fucked up.

>1.17 when revae
At this point I should probably just take SL and gut the Episode 4 maps from it, but then I'd have to slap a new wave in somewhere. I think it was originally a lost soul headattack, but I might've switch it over to a projectile - which would make sense why it's not in SL, I'm out of projectiles to dehack. Also I might be entirely out of "things"... not sure. Also I think the few custom maps people have made for 1.16 wouldn't work anymore, which would be a personal bummer.
So I guess my easymode patch isn't a viable path.

48 minutes ago, Revae said:

>1.17 when revae
At this point I should probably just take SL and gut the Episode 4 maps from it, but then I'd have to slap a new wave in somewhere. I think it was originally a lost soul headattack, but I might've switch it over to a projectile - which would make sense why it's not in SL, I'm out of projectiles to dehack. Also I might be entirely out of "things"... not sure. Also I think the few custom maps people have made for 1.16 wouldn't work anymore, which would be a personal bummer.

Given that SL's IWAD only works as an IWAD in more advanced source ports, I would say there'd need to be a significant amount of lumps and stuff added for it work as an IWAD in vanilla like 1.16 does.

If you change the .iwad to .wad it should work more-or-less the same as the original... I think. I worked off 1.16 for SL, and I forget what I did to it for 1.16a. Might've changed a some info in a hex editor?
It's been a long time and I shoved the information out of my head to make room for the names of pokemon.

13 hours ago, Revae said:

Legit have no idea how that happened. 240 to 200 is 5/4 for 5:4 pixel aspect ratio and 5/4 * 200 is 160, but that that doesn't account for the other 3 pixels.
Must've been some typo or kid slamming on the keyboard at some point that I never noticed because VR-3KKR was intended to be GZDoom only and therefor never broke like it should've to let me know I fucked up. 

That's... odd.

I think it was originally a lost soul headattack, but I might've switch it over to a projectile - which would make sense why it's not in SL, I'm out of projectiles to dehack. Also I might be entirely out of "things"... not sure.

I've glossed over the Dehacked patch a long while ago, and there seem to be two free things, but probably no projectiles left aside from the Arch-Vile fire. I need to look back into it.

Also I think the few custom maps people have made for 1.16 wouldn't work anymore, which would be a personal bummer.

...wait, there was more than one custom map? Damn, REKKR sure used to be popular.

Edited by brightentayle

15 hours ago, Revae said:

If you change the .iwad to .wad it should work more-or-less the same as the original... I think. I worked off 1.16 for SL, and I forget what I did to it for 1.16a. Might've changed a some info in a hex editor?
It's been a long time and I shoved the information out of my head to make room for the names of pokemon.

When working on my standalone DOS version, it seemed that the only way I could get it to work was by having assets appended from Doom.WAD.

Also, heads up, I've tried to update the REKBONUS thread on Steam, but it has basically disappeared for no reason other than "being sent for review". I dunno if Revae himself needs to approve it, or if that's really on Steam's moderation team, but the thread's been in limbo for two-three days now.

7 hours ago, brightentayle said:

Also, heads up, I've tried to update the REKBONUS thread on Steam, but it has basically disappeared for no reason other than "being sent for review". I dunno if Revae himself needs to approve it, or if that's really on Steam's moderation team, but the thread's been in limbo for two-three days now.

I'll check it out. Since it's pinned it probably has to go through me. 

I check the steam discussions once a week or so now.

Edit: got a failed to modify error "try again later"

You might just have to make a new post. Or I can try again later first.

Edited by Revae

5 hours ago, Revae said:

Edit: got a failed to modify error "try again later"

You might just have to make a new post. Or I can try again later first.

...thanks Steam, very cool.

Yeah, wouldn't hurt to try one more time.

Just wanted to pop in and say thank you @Revae for Sunken Land (and for REKKR in the first place), and thank you @brightentayle for continuing to update REKBONUS. I really appreciate the modularity and the extensive descriptions so I know what I'm loading. I played 1.16 a while ago but recently bought Sunken Land on Steam, this seems like a good time to play through the whole 6-episode monster.

1 hour ago, brick said:

Just wanted to pop in and say thank you @Revae for Sunken Land (and for REKKR in the first place), and thank you @brightentayle for continuing to update REKBONUS. I really appreciate the modularity and the extensive descriptions so I know what I'm loading. I played 1.16 a while ago but recently bought Sunken Land on Steam, this seems like a good time to play through the whole 6-episode monster. 

That's probably the most elaborate "thank you" post for what started as a dumb mod, have a "thank you" back

15 hours ago, brightentayle said:

...thanks Steam, very cool.

Yeah, wouldn't hurt to try one more time.

Nothin doin. Just remake the post I guess, and I'll repin it.

If it lets me pin two things with one "hidden" that is. I dunno why it flagged it anyway, or why it won't let me unflag it.