Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revae

REKKR - V1.16

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I discovered what I was doing wrong. I was trying to patch the regular Doom v1.9 exe (instead of Ultimate Doom) that's why it produced these errors.

Share this post


Link to post

Oh. Well then.
There are columns with missing patches, tho. Lemme know if they're still an issue down the line.

Share this post


Link to post

During startup, the vanilla exe (ultimate doom) also warns about these, but it continues loading anyway. (not sure if anything could go wrong in game?) I can't use MBF though, because it quits when it finds these patches are missing. I would like to use MBF if possible, so if you can find the time to fix them, that would be great.

Share this post


Link to post

That seems to have fixed it! The warnings are gone and the game runs fine using MBF, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post

Np. I would've gotten to it sooner, but I've been busy. When you let something slip it just slips and slips.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Just remembered I've noticed a bunch of HOMs in E2M9, specifically at the back of the crushers that get triggered right by the very end of the stage. I suppose people don't generally notice it because it's right near the exit, but I felt the need to scavenge through the rest of the map, and boom, the crushers look a bit borked. EDIT: Still there in version 1.16a!

 

The standalone WAD still lists DPDMPAIN as DPPMPAIN, which crashes the vanilla DoomU executable whenever husks are hurt.

 

Also, more deathmatch exits woulda been nice, especially since, from what I've noticed, only one DM-specific arena has it, and it's in E1M1.

Edited by brightentayle

Share this post


Link to post

 

Uh oh, E3M4 also has a glaring HOM in the deathmatch arena! This here is a PrBoom+ screenshot, but's visible in vanilla, too.

image.png.ecbc7d5dd43b6aa7b6d22276101aa9fe.png

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I think I have the crushers fixed, but I'll look into all that.

 

edit: fix'd. It'll be in the next release when I finish the expansion.

Edited by Revae

Share this post


Link to post

@Revae Should the file signature for REKKRSA.wad be "IWAD" instead of "PWAD"? Because I have the IWAD and PWAD versions in a central WAD folder for source ports to detect and for some reason, GZDoom does not list it in its launcher. I open the IWAD in Notepad++ and sure enough, the file signature for the IWAD says "PWAD".

Share this post


Link to post

I believe it still has to be defined like -iwad rekkrsa.wad since it doesn't have an iwadinfo lump iirc? I've been working on a different version for a long time so I don't remember the specifics of that version and I'm not at my computer to check...

I may have fucked it up at some point? Not sure how that would've happened and it's been a long time since my last update. New update coming after I finish my steam release though... Eeeeventuuallly.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Is the expansion going to be Steam exclusive or part of a free update? Not that I would mind to pay for this. I'll buy it either way since you absolutely deserve it for all the hard effort you put into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Steam exclusive, or other online stores too perhaps. We'll see. I'll be including some updated gameplay stuff in the free version. Faster weapon speeds for the bow/soul launcher/shotty/relic, level fixes and such. Nothing terribly major that I can think of offhandedly. Maybe tweaked some monster health. I don't have a change list.

The GZDoom Steam release will cut out a lot of the menu options for things that break gameplay, like jumping, crouching or freelook (I know that will be a point of contention, but being a standalone game I don't want people breaking level flow by potentially shooting switches that they shouldn't be able to get to - I'm going to do a final runthrough and see if the issue comes up in any maps and base my final decision on that)... or things that aren't needed like other iwad specific options or whatever... So hopefully it'll feel more like a true standalone game with intended gameplay.

And ofc you'll always be able to get to the original option menu by using the console command menu_options... So it's not like I can permanently lock anyone out... But yeah. It'll be it's own single entity by the time I'm done.

 

Edit: Oh. The new options and anything else that limits the player will be in a separate pk3, so you'll be able to just pull the iwad and rename it .wad, or just use it in a separate GZDoom install if you want.

Or just delete/rename the pk3.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Revae said:

I believe it still has to be defined like -iwad rekkrsa.wad since it doesn't have an iwadinfo lump iirc? I've been working on a different version for a long time so I don't remember the specifics of that version and I'm not at my computer to check...

I may have fucked it up at some point? Not sure how that would've happened and it's been a long time since my last update. New update coming after I finish my steam release though... Eeeeventuuallly.

I learned that I can rename "REKKRSA.WAD" to "REKKRSA.IWAD". After I did just that, GZDoom was like, "Hey, new IWAD" and just listed it in its launcher.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Revae said:

Steam exclusive, or other online stores too perhaps. We'll see. I'll be including some updated gameplay stuff in the free version. Faster weapon speeds for the bow/soul launcher/shotty/relic, level fixes and such. Nothing terribly major that I can think of offhandedly. Maybe tweaked some monster health. I don't have a change list.

 The GZDoom Steam release will cut out a lot of the menu options for things that break gameplay, like jumping, crouching or freelook (I know that will be a point of contention, but being a standalone game I don't want people breaking level flow by potentially shooting switches that they shouldn't be able to get to - I'm going to do a final runthrough and see if the issue comes up in any maps and base my final decision on that)... or things that aren't needed like other iwad specific options or whatever... So hopefully it'll feel more like a true standalone game with intended gameplay.

 And ofc you'll always be able to get to the original option menu by using the console command menu_options... So it's not like I can permanently lock anyone out... But yeah. It'll be it's own single entity by the time I'm done.

 

Edit: Oh. The new options and anything else that limits the player will be in a separate pk3, so you'll be able to just pull the iwad and rename it .wad, or just use it in a separate GZDoom install if you want.

Or just delete/rename the pk3.

Why use GZDoom for the Steam release? 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

Why use GZDoom for the Steam release? 

Probably because its one of the few source port that allow being selleable and has the especifications Revae want for his game.

 

Even when it is vanilla comp. most people out there, especialy on Steam, will not understand a new game looking like something feom the 90's, even with all the boomer shooters out there.

REKKR its not a game that resembles a game from that time, its a game from that time, but remade nowdays.

GZDoom give enough eye candy and visual enhancement, and possibilities to lock featured for the game to be played as it intended, as no other source port out there.

 

Its more of a business decision than a preference, i think.

Share this post


Link to post

Pretty much that ^

It's easier to set up as a standalone game than other engines. I don't have to dig around in the source to play with the menu setup, or whatever else I feel like changing or adding (though I know other engines have various game effecting lumps, GZDoom has almost everything alterable, with good-ish documentation)... It has more graphics options. Scales down to near vanilla graphics (outside of the menu being locked at 640x480) and scales up to whatever res you want with hardware fixins. I didn't make all those brightmaps to have them hidden!

Main thing I wish it did have was client server multiplayer or a built in MP menu, but nothing that you can use commercially has that (that I'm aware of, and if I'm wrong it's too late now anyway).

Anyway. You can always pull the wad out like I said and it should still run with any engine... still need to make sure it runs vanilla. Runs chocolate and up at least atm.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

Probably because its one of the few source port that allow being selleable and has the especifications Revae want for his game.

  

Even when it is vanilla comp. most people out there, especialy on Steam, will not understand a new game looking like something feom the 90's, even with all the boomer shooters out there.

 REKKR its not a game that resembles a game from that time, its a game from that time, but remade nowdays.

 GZDoom give enough eye candy and visual enhancement, and possibilities to lock featured for the game to be played as it intended, as no other source port out there.

 

Its more of a business decision than a preference, i think.

I see. Even then, I always considered Crispy Doom to be the best modern experience, because it maintains that oldschool feel but has all the modern amenities (minus having to change binds in the separate setup program), but I guess if GZDoom is the only option that can be packaged commercially, it is what it is. I do wonder about Russian Doom though. That's a pretty good port that can stand very well on its own once you trim the more superfluous features. If that's a viable option, I'd highly recommend it.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Rekkr's missing deathmatch frag messages pertaining to weapons.

 

I found this while hosting the IWAD on Zandronum.

Edited by Some1NamedNate : Added clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

There are some other minor errors and inconsistencies that we can discuss elsewhere (Discord, etc.)

 

Those of which I found while hosting the IWAD on Odamex.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

You can pm me if you want, or list it here. There's a good chance some of it's already fixed, but it would be good to know.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/9/2021 at 9:59 AM, Revae said:

You can pm me if you want, or list it here. There's a good chance some of it's already fixed, but it would be good to know.

  • On Odamex,
    • the map name is displayed using Odamex's own fonts instead of the lumps contained in the IWAD.1760739152_Odamex0.9.3(g2dbdb-6862)-TheUltimateDOOM2021-08-0711_26_06PM.png.9a59c4e53da6543ad7b4bdb139b5937c.png
    • hovering decorations are present, such as Deathmatch E1M1 shown here:1886992304_Screenshot2021-08-1112_46_05AM.png.aeb5da2d1ace68c0cb4da42f28fedee1.png
    • E3M4 (Deathmatch) has textureless sectors in one area of the map resulting in hall-of-mirrors rendering:690325084_Odamex0.9.3(g2dbdb-6862)-TheUltimateDOOM2021-08-1112_53_58AM.png.e7b86f83efbcbdc82990c503abf93385.png  
    • An out-of-place minus sign (shown in the Kills section of the status bar):1578202489_Odamex0.9.3(g2dbdb-6862)-TheUltimateDOOM2021-08-1112_56_13AM.png.b78f43524a6c7b43bdfc99c16877b8b9.png

That's all I can disclose for now. At a later time, I can start an Odamex server for you to join and we can go through some of the things I have not covered yet.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks! It'll be out soon™.

Should hopefully still run with the vanilla executable. Atm it works fine with chocolate. Just haven't booted up a virtual machine to test yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

A very retro FPS pulled from an alternate reality 1995.

I feel obliged to remind you that the REKKR site places the copyright to 1996, so this creates an uncomfortable split in the lore.

Share this post


Link to post

Oh uh... The site copyright was updated... Later. That's it... Yeah.

Lore duct taped together. The timeline is saved.

 

I actually ought to scrap the site and just incorporate it into mockingbirdsoftworks.com

But I'll probably just let the domain lapse.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Revae said:

Thanks! It'll be out soon™.

Should hopefully still run with the vanilla executable. Atm it works fine with chocolate. Just haven't booted up a virtual machine to test yet.

If that's the case, what are the requirements for running in DOS? A 486, or a Pentium? :)

 

1 hour ago, Revae said:

Also this is an art I made for the release. Box art, but without the box.

I wish a print on demand service existed for software.

temp2.jpg

Absolutely slaps. :)

Share this post


Link to post

For those out of the loop with development, how is the Steam version different from the free release?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×