Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revae

REKKR - V1.16

Really looking forward to playing this! Just gotta catch up with my to-play list.

This summer's been absolutely insane for top-tier releases! Thank you to Revae and all involved, I'm sure this is going to be amazing! :)

You fucking nailed the 90's feeling. This looks like a Doom clone that could have been released as a game back in the day. I love those, good job.

Wow. Congratulations everyone involved in this project for finally finishing this tc!

Also congratulations me for not make anything expect a unreleased level room for this...

Awesome! I just played the first few levels of E1 in Crispy Doom and it was brilliant. Been holding out for this to drop for so long : D

Just played the first couple maps, will definitely play more later. This is incredible, everyone involved deserves to go on to great things. <3 

Just finished the first episode, loved the puzzles and overall detail in the maps, definitely gonna play the next few episodes in my spare time!

Legit this was worth the wait. 

I've just attempted to give this a whirl in Chocolate Doom, and I've stumbled into a game breaking issue in E1M3.

Spoiler

Getting the Red Key requires you to illuminate the book floor symbol in the castle area and then stand on the glowing book floor symbol by the bars leading to the key. These two actions combined together open up a set of doors in an OOB area of the map which in turns exposes a wall that's set to raise the key bars if triggered by gunfire. This gun fire is provided by a dummy scarecrow actor that constantly fires towards the wall. The dummy actor is meant to be woken up by player from the combat taking place in the castle area.

However, if you wake up the dummy scarecrow actor once, save your game, and then reload the game, the dummy actor will go back to sleep since his state is not saved in the vanilla Doom save format. It's also impossible to wake him back up again, even if you fire any weapons again in the castle area.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of an easy solution to the problem. Monsters going back to sleep is simply a consequence of vanilla Doom saving, but even if the dummy shooting actor could be woken up again, it wouldn't be intuitive for the player to fire his weapon again in the castle area to reactivate him.

I've only made it this far into the WAD, but this problem would similarly occur in any subsequent map that uses this same trigger activation method.

Edited by Revenant100

An old tangent, but:

On lundi 2 avril 2018 at 8:41 PM, Revae said:

I don't have any plans for it. Mostly because I'm not even sure how to go about ut. Especially  with the dehacked-ness and all.

For making GZDoom recognize it as an IWAD, it's pretty simple though the .iwad extension requirement might cause problems with other ports.

2 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

I've just attempted to give this a whirl in Chocolate Doom, and I've stumbled into a game breaking issue in E1M3.

Well shit.  I somehow never ran into that.  I could make him re-awaken, but that's the best I can do.  I'm not about to redesign a bunch of maps.

Congrats on the release. Really stoked to play this one, it's probably been my most anticipated wad this year. 

How do you guys feel about the combat in terms of audio and visual feedback? Do you get that cool feeling when you shoot powerful weapons, kill groups of monsters, and look at their corpses falling to the ground? Better than Heretic? Worse than Doom? Too early to judge?

I notice there's a new colormap that seems to try and retain saturation as a color gets darker, how did you generate it?

4 hours ago, Gez said:

For making GZDoom recognize it as an IWAD, it's pretty simple though the .iwad extension requirement might cause problems with other ports.

You can use normal .wad and .pk3 files to my understanding, they just need to be specified with the IWADName property.

39 minutes ago, Gez said:

That's only for the internal list in gzdoom.pk3.

Which can be modified - it's basically a text lump. That's how The Adventures of Square has a stand-alone version.

Wow, what a time to be a Doomer. The beauty of not knowing about upcoming projects until they're released is that you can skip the waiting and go straight to the playing!

I've just played the bulk of episode 1 so far, but all credit to everyone involved in this because it's very impressive indeed. I can scarcely imagine the work involved in assembling a TC, and these assets are all excellent. Considering these are vanilla maps they do a tremendous job of creating a world of interesting environments and I've never seen details like furniture (!) used in a way which so strongly enhances the atmosphere. I must admit I've found the maps quite tough so far: ammo and health often seems to be scarce and enemies seem to do a ton of damage. I've also found navigation to be quite obtuse on E1M3 and E1M5 but my overall impression is very positive.

I have noticed an odd thing in PrBoom+, which is that when navigating the options menu(s) the selected item isn't shown visually. I think it's possible that the colour which PrBoom+ uses to highlight the select entry is the same colour as the options are by default in REKKR.

8 hours ago, Gez said:

At which version of GZDoom was this first supported? Never heard of this until now and I wonder what the requirements are.

for quite a while. i recall Urban Brawl being one of the first, if not the first, to be its own IWAD for ZDoom, and that's a decade ago. there was also Neverhood which is even older, though it might've just come with its own executable.

37 minutes ago, Nevander said:

At which version of GZDoom was this first supported?

Version 3.2 is when the ability to get custom IWADs automatically detected without having to update GZDoom further (contrarily to stuff like Urban Brawl) was added.