Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
VileSlay

wadauthor registration

ok, my question is for anyone that registered their wadauthor. is it worth it? what is the difference between the unregistered and registered version? just curious.

I dunno, but I think it's that the gridmap is larger for registered. Maybe some more stuff too, I never had the unregistered version so I'm not sure.

i regesitered my copy of wadauthor. i seem to remember the shareware version expiring after a certain amount of time, then it won't let you do anything until you enter the user name/key

anyway only cost 20 bucks so i figured what the heck. now i rarely use it cause it causes so many problems :P

VileSlay said:

ok, my question is for anyone that registered their wadauthor. is it worth it? what is the difference between the unregistered and registered version? just curious.

Heck yes it's worth it, $20 is chicken feed. Funny how many people complain about paying for editors but would repeatedly drop that $20 for burgers, beer or a few movies. Only difference I was aware of is that there is a time limit on the trial version. Maybe what Assmaster says, too.

I got the registered WadAuthor when I bought that 3D Game Alchemy book. What I want to know is where to get the registered version of DCK 3.62. I have no idea where Ben Morris is, or if there's any copies left in existence.

If only he had released the source code back then...

There was a sector/linedef limit?

I thought Deepsea was the only one that did that.

I thought Wad Author only has the 15 (? don't know) day limit, like Biffy said.

And Biffy, it's way easier to spend the $20 (or $40 australian (roughly)) on some beer or something, then go to the hassle of sending a cheque to them and register it. Besides, look at how many people start editing for Doom, and use Wad Author. Most of themwould say "Doom is such an old game, so why don't I just warez an editor?"

Or I am wrong yet again. Or they don't use WA.

You are probably not wrong. When I discovered WadAuthor some years ago, I had never heard the word warez. I was so pleased with the software that I wanted to give the author of it the measly $20 he requested. The value of the software seemed far in excess of the cost, considering that it was the key to unlocking a new hobby which has provided thousands of hours of fun.

If I'm working on an old car, does that give me the right to steal tools in order to work on it? My local hardware store says no. :)

The only difference between the registered and unregistered versions of wadauthor is the nag box and the fact that it stops working after 15 days.

To quote the author:
"In exchange for registration, you will receive technical support, upgrades for the life of the product, access to handy wadfile utilities, and the author’s gratitude — not to mention that pleasant lack of guilt that comes with a clear conscience!"

see i'm holding out for that 'upgrades for life' stuff. i wanna see some updates man! i haven't heard from the guy since i bought wadauthor.
still debating weather or not i should finally pay for Deepsea, seeing that it's hard to use it with those damn SW limitations.

Use3D said:

still debating weather or not i should finally pay for Deepsea, seeing that it's hard to use it with those damn SW limitations.

As a dyed-in-the-wool WadAuthor user, I think you should register your DeePsea. I did and it is a valuable tool even if you continue to do more editing work with WA. Here's an example of one of the many things DeePsea helps me with - finding things in a large map. In one project I have lots of "setlineidentification" lines and over a long time, forget where specific ones are used. WA offers no means to find these Hexen objects, DeePsea does. I can quickly find the highest number used and also locate any specific line with this feature.

Also, there are the lump management tools - very handy. Also, the DeePsea script decompiler worked wonders once when I wanted to explore the scripts in a wad but only the behavior lump was included, no text scripts lump. Last comment, you'll get good support from sbsoftware.

I'll go along with Biffy 100% While WadAuthor is a great map-making tool (which I swear by, BTW), DeepSea is unmatched for all-around wad utility features, customer service, and being kept up-to-date.

If you want a free utility that does many of the things that DeepSea and WadAuthor do, get XWE. There is no documentation, so it's meant for a seasoned user. But it's versatile and relatively easy to use. [And did I mention that it's free?]