Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Post your Doom textures!

Dragonfly said:

I personally feel that the texture still needs an evident 'call to action': a button / slide-switch / lever... Something that makes it obviously 'usable'.

I can't see any usable parts on the IWAD switch patches WARNA0 and SW4S0. I believe the main reason why I recognize those as switches is thanks to their similarity to SW1S0 and SW2S0, which feature similar lights, but along with buttons and levers. On the other hand, certain techbase and computer textures have buttons on them, and yet they're used as non-interactive decorations more often than not, so that I don't suspect them of being switches whenever I see them. That's why I'm inclined to think that similarity to already known switches has a greater influence on the switch's recognizability as a switch than particular features on it.

scifista42 said:

Stuff

Good points. I think, like said before, that as long as the player is placed in a position where it becomes obvious to them that it is indeed usable it doesn't really matter what it is, hell it could be GREYTALL, as long as it's consistently used in this fashion.

@Sgt Ender: Nice textures. Those would have been very usable for me recently, heh. :P

@NiGHT Damn, I didn't even know you did that last one already.

I was gonna quote you but it said I didn't have permission to. Weird, huh?

^ I'm pretty sure you've pressed the Edit button instead of Quote. And you can't edit somebody else's post.

scifista42 said:

^ I'm pretty sure you've pressed the Edit button instead of Quote. And you can't edit somebody else's post.

Yeah, I think it was that.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Here's a quick and dirty color conversion; I'm sure the darker/shadowed areas need touch-up. Wasn't sure how dark you needed it, so I made two. If you need it lighter, I'm sure any image editor can do that for you pretty easily. While I was playing, I made a full-color set for use with Keys. Can't seem to stop myself from doing that.

http://i.imgur.com/CgbQGvJ.png

I lightened them all a step and I think I got all the stray grey/green pixels that didn't convert properly. NOW I can let this go.

NiGHTMARE, are you putting together a new resource wad or just being a massive tease in this thread? Some great work you've got on display here.

Use3D said:

NiGHTMARE, are you putting together a new resource wad or just being a massive tease in this thread? Some great work you've got on display here.

I mean, that's what I'm doing too I guess. I'm not very good at mapping, but texturing is pretty much my sweet spot here. I mostly do edits though.

Use3D said:

Cheers Use3D. I'm actually working on two resource wads, one for Doom 1 and the other for Doom 2. At some point I'll also do a merger of the two.

They're constantly WIP as I'm using them for a couple of projects of my own, but I do plan to upload "beta" versions in the near future. (I did release an early version of the D2 wad a few years ago, but a lot of stuff has been changed & added since then.)

Here's a simple recolour of FLOOR4_6, since I liked the pattern of this and wanted to play with some darker textures:

I thought the edges of the tiles would look nice with a little illumination, so here's a version with a light (with and without a glow effect):

I do like these kinds of things but make your own pattern! Then it won't just look like all the other ones yeeeee

A spinning uac logo. I used some Cage texture as base but the comp screen should fit to any similar screen. You need to oscilate this or it's going to work poorly like in this shitty gif

frames:

Spoiler

Brightmaps:
Spoiler

Animdef:
	texture CGSILV03
allowdecals
OSCILLATE
	pic CGSILV03 tics 10
	pic CGSILV3b tics 8
	pic CGSILV3c tics 8
	pic CGSILV3d tics 8
	pic CGSILV3e tics 8
	pic CGSILV3f tics 8
	pic CGSILV3g tics 8
	pic CGSILV3h tics 8
	pic CGSILV3i tics 10
I think it looks better if both end and start last slightly longer.

EDIT: Added brightmaps

It'd look better if the ">" in the middle of the logo didn't flip while fully exposed. Either make it point to the right on all frames, or add frames making for 2 full rotations, one where it points to the left and one where it points to the right.

Nevermind, I've realized what you meant by "oscillate" now.

To be fair, you also said "spinning" in the first sentence, which typically means "rotating in the same direction infinitely". I also think I'd personally prefer the look of it properly spinning over the look of it oscillating (if one half of the logo wasn't darker than the other half, the two would look identical, though).

OOOH, I get it now, these oscillating frames will really give an impression of spinning! Well done then.

What do you guys think of this gif?

I wanted to make a big ass monitor with some cool animation but I think the animation is little too fast. The original gif used to have 60-80 frames so I cut it down to 15 (because I'm too lazy to edit all the frames). The gif is pretty close what it looks in game. I'm using 5 tics for each frame.

original:

Spoiler

You could have the bars of the histogram fluctuate and scroll the lines of (unreadable) text to make it more animated.

And to make it even more animated, make the starry background rotate around the asteroid rapidly! :)

But I also like your animation as is.

Observed speed is seen as relative to size. We perceive elephants as moving slowly and flies as moving quickly. From their perspectives, we're the ones who move fast or slow. So it depends on the image's use. If this monitor is showing a large asteroid in stable orbit, then yes, it's moving very quickly. If, however, it's an alarm monitor showing a small asteroid heading for your spaceship, or a large asteroid hurtling towards the planet about to destroy the viewer and the entire base, then the speed is good. Agree on the gold bars and text. And the faster and larger the gold bars and text change (maybe to some bright reds), the greater the urgency.

Edit: And this is how my mind works. After seeing what I wrote, I thought of a large 256x256 monitor texture showing a fast asteroid heading towards the planet; impending doom. The player has to fix things around the base to put the asteroid back into orbit. As the player moves around the map, the texture changes and the asteroid speeds up. If the player fixes everything, the texture changes again and the asteroid is slow-moving and stable and the player exits (yes, like original Star Trek, "The Paradise Syndrome"). Else, the base blows up. The reverse could be done as a CTF/Teamplay map, like in Half-Life where you could call down a Nuclear Strike on your opponents, but with an asteroid. Maybe hit five switches before the other team does.

Some diagonal squares, based on Doom 1 flats:

I plan to make some Doom 2-based ones in the next day or so, too.

Look awesome Nightmare as always- thought about moving some of the tiles about so they don't just look overlayed? C:

I did few edits to the spinning asteroid.

Now there is double the amount of frames, histogram and green text is animated. Maybe I'll add some power light thingy to the silver frame. I still gotta do brightmaps too.

@Nightmare

I agree with fuzzball. Moving around the tiles would look better.