Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Post your Doom textures!

I'm perfectly capable of generating textures like that myself by hand, but if you were able to write software that does it for me, and more importantly, does it for those who otherwise wouldn't be able to, that would be amazing! :)

Dragonfly: I dont doubt, you probably do the same thing in Photoshop what I do in C++. Here is what the relief input looks like, this is the only hand-drawn part:

2usxt2x.jpg

Very interesting. I can see it being very fun to use! Do you need pre-made seamless textures or does it somehow work all of that out for you?

Premade texture, but not seamless. A mirrored one is enough. Btw the METAL-like stuff is simple, cause it has only one "material". Originally I wanted to start with TEKWALL-like stuff, so there was different materiál for wall, different for components, pipes etc. Technically it worked, but first attempt made a very weak TEKWALL. Too blank. Just for fun:

cwJjLMv.png

When you talk about generating materiál textures myself, I can think of it being possible by entering some set of rules to some random generator, but actual photos are always best for this cause they dont look artificial. The more local pixel difference, the better looks you will get.

I made a sky at the last day and I'm working on a small Skybox Pack for general use

Feel free to use it

SkyBox1.png

Not sure if you know this but what I like to do to check if textures/skies tile seamlessly is to just drag it with my mouse and align in to the right side or bottom and my browser shows the image being dragged so I can line it up for easy checking.

I do this too! :P

Doesn't work with large (very large) images though when done in chrome as it shrinks the 'dragged' image. Firefox is even worse for it, it'll actually shrink this sky image down. If you drag an avatar it'll scale it up however. Weird.

19 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Not sure if you know this but what I like to do to check if textures/skies tile seamlessly is to just drag it with my mouse and align in to the right side or bottom and my browser shows the image being dragged so I can line it up for easy checking.

I used to quote the post with the picture, copy/paste the tags, and hit preview.

It's not possible to do that on Doomworld anymore because wiggiwig editors suck and there's no preview mode since wugguwug is supposed to be good enough.

Heh. You could inspect the element (Right click image, inspect) then duplicate the image within the DOM. :)

00a2aba139614269eb886e39fa565e8f.png

On 24/03/2017 at 10:31 AM, Gez said:

there's no preview mode since wugguwug is supposed to be good enough.

0uLfPnk.png

7 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

Guess which stock texture was this edit based on:

reEmXfQ.png

OUTOFINK

Actually, it looks like a lighter lift texture.

Interesting game, heh. I'd say it looks like it may be based on a part of the GRAY texture set, perhaps GRAY5. Grab a small section of it, stretch it out and do some pixel-pushing to make it look good.

I do know that your texture would work well as a window if made translucent. :)

Looks like the weathering pattern of the BROWN/BRN textures, grayscaled. Thinking of patches WALL00_6 and WALL00_7 especially.

I think it looks like SUPPORT2 without the squares. It also has that same repeating pattern of 16, 24, 24 (left to right) and a top and bottom like SUPPORT2.

22 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Perhaps the silvery-coloured STARTAN textures?

This is correct. It actually seems possible that STARTAN was based on GRAY (precisely, that gray STARTAN was based on GRAY, and non-gray STARTANs were based on the gray one), as the colors are pretty much identical, just the distribution of brighter-vs-darker pixels is different. Anyway, yeah, I copied a rectangular part of a patch from STARGR1 and repeatedly pasted it to cover a 64x128 area, only with some vertical and horizontal flipping for good measure, otherwise the pixels are untouched.

Stock texture remakes from scratch. Intentionally consist of very simple repeating patterns, so that making variants of the textures would be easy. Not sure if I'll ever get to do any more ones, so I'll leave these here right now.

olYhiMP.png fr6E0b7.png onStNXG.png 4hJPKtJ.png zXmRvsf.png KwKyeOr.png Sp4TVFN.png

Edited by scifista42

I'm not good at graphic editing at all. I've been able to do the above textures just because they're simple. I'm not going to even try anything with the elaborately-inter-twisted tekwall patterns.

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but is there any threads or tutorials regarding the creation of custom textures? Cheers.

Nothing too impressive, but these are one of my first texture edits for Doom. And I'm pretty sure these has been done many times before. :P

2f3lllfsz09k1zjzg.jpg?size_id=2 zt5xu7js651mztmzg.jpg?size_id=2 qohvjjnr7u3h6qmzg.jpg?size_id=2 p5j1pgnax5yiimazg.jpg?size_id=2 ugp8uh3rg9bzgivzg.jpg?size_id=2 303syydz1ouwk7kzg.jpg?size_id=2 1g1290o3zgdu68rzg.jpg?size_id=2

A variation on STONE2 and MFLR8_1 (combined with MARBLE1), and variants with two marbfaces carved, and one with a print of Jesus, if you feel like making churches in Doom.

STMB1.png

STMBFAC2.png

STMBFAC3.png

STMBISUS.png

MBST.png

Has anyone made any Perdition's Gate texture variants? Or does anyone know of any that someone might have made?

4 hours ago, Jaws In Space said:

Has anyone made any Perdition's Gate texture variants? Or does anyone know of any that someone might have made?

Actually yes. I have a few variants of the gray metal bricks my texture pack.