Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Post your Doom textures!

On 8/19/2017 at 11:16 AM, Gustavo6046 said:

We still need a door texture that tiles nicely horizontally AND that has side details. :P

Here's a texture that I made earlier this month. I've actually been using it to represent lifts of varying lengths, but I think it would work nicely for doors:

JG1tFAD.png

I'm not sure what you mean by "side details," but here are examples of the texture tiling at various lengths:

FIfwrCR.png

2 hours ago, jmickle66666666 said:

@mypetrobot those textures are awesome!

I really appreciate the kind words! All of the textures used in the current map I am working on are handmade. I hope they all end up awesome as well!

Hello, well, this is a stupid question, but I was wondering:

Is it possible to use Paint to create textures? Haha.

3 hours ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

Hello, well, this is a stupid question, but I was wondering:

Absolutely possible, but probably not the best idea. You'd have to master the art of 'pixel art', which in itself is a very difficult skill to master. Sites like Pixel Joint are good places to go for inspiration / people to learn from, but you'll probably find that if you're looking to make textures, pixel-by-pixel drawing won't be an effective nor practical method, unless you're looking for more cartoony results.

For texture art you'd be better off investing in Adobe Photoshop or downloading one of the free alternatives, such as GIMP, or Paint.net.

4 hours ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

Any program that lets you create bitmap images in a standard format will let you create textures. Then you just need to use SLADE to convert them to the Doom format and set them up as textures.

Now sure I would recommend trying something more indepth (having the ability to work with layers is a  game changer as far as drawing is concerned) but Paint is technically sufficient.

I have been drawing some Unreal-esque textures now, with superexposition in some places, and bloom in the lights.

e3Ca50b.png

KnHyi56.pngNBEVZoi.pngyYAXok4.pngcujTDsm.png

KyjOU6y.pngeqST7gK.png24yK1cV.pngnQXVhER.png

CqHnsuC.pngMjbQY8z.pnggs9TWlp.pngsEe6hYZ.png

2fF5M7H.pngqXncmdw.pngBPVMEXV.pngXE2JeIG.png

Feel free to right click -> "Save Image As..." any texture here!

CC-BY license

small ask for help:

I found this two images and i think they can look realy good as sky textures, but i never make or edit textures and i'm scared to touch them. is anyone able to edit this pic to proper sky texture? you can use them how you want and no need to credit me.

Thanks

8700067537_700a17f059_k.jpg

sky test.jpg

16 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Here's some lava textures I made a little while ago:

lavaflt3.png.e8d10828098de1535aab43e2452c30b2.png

Seems like a potential skybox, depending on how you use it.

I guess that's possible, not sure how it would turn out yet but, heh.

That particular texture I made a few years back, as a dry dirt texture.

I thought it looked a bit like the RROCK texture in Doom, so there ya have it, as a lava type. :)

Also Thanks Marlamir!

Btw, I actually made more lava themed versions to add to that but I couldn't upload them all here.

I'll have to put them up on my google drive or something.

The plan was to build a map, but haven't had the time yet.

The idea's in place, resources are being made, eventually will place them in map world. 

Edited by Mr.Rocket

On 2017. 07. 02. at 3:23 AM, ukiro said:

Contemplating color choices.

The middle one is the Doomiest, the bottom one looks like it'd be more at home in Quake, where techbase textures have that kind of extreme rusty look to them, while the top one would fit well with Darkening or other "dark techbase" custom textures.

On 10/30/2017 at 9:53 AM, Solarn said:

The middle one is the Doomiest, the bottom one looks like it'd be more at home in Quake, where techbase textures have that kind of extreme rusty look to them, while the top one would fit well with Darkening or other "dark techbase" custom textures.

I ended up including two colors in my texture WAD, neither of which were in that post. But this is a challenge for me, I keep tweaking and tuning and ultimately there's no single winner—I could easily include 8 varieties. But I challenge myself to avoid mere color variations where possible, it's better to get that tonality with a new texture instead, for greater overall variety in the set.

I hope you won't mind; but I found that these textures lacked a bit of grime to make them "Doomy". So I quickly scribbled an airbrushed layer to make them dirty, focusing mostly on the vents and mostly on the lower part (top is still relatively clean). I like how it looks. :)

okv5XwQ.png

4 hours ago, Marlamir said:

Who i should credit if i will use these beautiful textures?

I'd ask that you hold off using them. They are part of a 800+ texture WAD I'm working on, and hope to release before DOOM turns 25. (So not imminent, but I'll get there.) You'll be much better off using them in the context of the full set.

Alright i will wait until you finished the texture pack.

You have my word :-) and good luck to rest of your work, I'm looking forward to this pack