Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Post your Doom textures!

I doubt people would have shared if they weren't okay with these textures being used, but just to be on the safe side at least pop a message to each artist just to be sure. :)

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

@StormCatcher.77 a good start but lacks any sense of lighting consideration. What you've done here is 'pillow shading'. Instead you could/should consider where the lightsource is coming from and what surfaces on the crate would be lit up, what parts would have a darker shadow, etc.

A little pixel art style guide to what I mean:

Apple-2.png

Hope this helps! :)

When I made a new texture, I tend to place the lightsource just above the object, because the lightsource in Doom is generally vertical with the flat lamps textures, (or horizontal with light wall textures of course, but to the left? to the right?) That's why I put automatically this angle : glup10.jpg

But should I to change this habit ? Or this guide works only for the spriting?

27 minutes ago, franckFRAG said:

When I made a new texture, I tend to place the lightsource just above the object, because the lightsource in Doom is generally vertical with the flat lamps textures, (or horizontal with light wall textures of course, but to the left? to the right?) That's why I put automatically this angle : glup10.jpg

But should I to change this habit ? Or this guide works only for the spriting?

Depends on the art you're producing. Light sources apply in any direction and varies depending on use case. The pixel art works as a cute illustration.

image.png.c768c2b6bca9565bf1926b449f345d9e.png

Take this BIGDOOR variant as an example. See the 'indents'? Notice how the inner grooves on the sides are a 'midtone shadow', the upper side of the grooves are a 'dark shadow' and the bottom of the grooves is actually lighter? This is because the light is above so it would hit that surface. It's this attention to lighting that gives a texture depth and realism.

The first and second ones come from two different games (and I've already forgotten which ones), although the second one needed some editing.  Couldn't find a decent lava one anywhere, so had to take a door arch I found on google image search to make the third one.  I should probably find/make blood and water ones too, I suppose.  These will also end up in the enormous texture pack I'm still compiling.

SEWER1.png SEWER2.png SEWER3.png SEWER4.png

//EDIT:  Pretty sure #2 is from 'Eye of the Beholder', yep.

//DOUBLE_EDIT:  Added a water one.

Edited by DooMAD : moar textures

1 hour ago, DooMAD said:

The first and second ones come from two different games (and I've already forgotten which ones), although the second one needed some editing.  Couldn't find a decent lava one anywhere, so had to take a door arch I found on google image search to make the third one.  I should probably find/make blood and water ones too, I suppose.  These will also end up in the enormous texture pack I'm still compiling.

SEWER1.png SEWER2.png SEWER3.png

I Love that work!

3 hours ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Reminds me of Eye of the Beholder but I'd have to look at the game again to know for sure if either of them are that.

Holy shit that's a blast from the past. I remember watching my uncle play that when I was a kid

Doom3 recreation from scratch based on the nobbydoor texture. Both clean and dirty version. I also made a bump map and specular which doesnt look to bad in gzdoom.

ZehiQW8.png

5nkaPe8.png

Just another one I had a crack at. Bit of practice to come up with my own set of textures I guess

Cxk6qOd.png

dBt4MV7.jpg

Edited by furyweb

Salvaged from Arx Fatalis.  Didn't tile all that well, so tweaked it a bit.  Couldn't make it look good at 64x64, sadly, so it'll have to be a wall if you're using vanilla:

SKULWALL.png

eLSQ4pU.png

The dude from the marble brick texture WALL50_1, but actually crucified.

rlzpHOw.png

Alternate hell door.

7d5xMzv.png

An imp themed small hell door. 

49ybqch.png

4HOEedD.png

@elend: At this moment I do not, although I would like to get into mapping. I will aim to keep them simple if when I get into it to avoid burning out and never releasing it.

@Solmyr: Neat

@DooMAD: welp I tried, have a 64x64 anyways. SKULFLOOR.png.3b433d906f34b1738afde95717ba46ff.png

New Slad rips.zip

New Sladrips.gif

Edited by ItsNatureToDie

1 hour ago, ItsNatureToDie said:

@elend: At this moment I do not, although I would like to get into mapping. I will aim to keep them simple if when I get into it to avoid burning out and never releasing it.

@Solmyr: Neat

@DooMAD: welp I tried, have a 64x64 anyways. SKULFLOOR.png.3b433d906f34b1738afde95717ba46ff.png

New Slad rips.zip

New Sladrips.gif

Looks nice and i like your sprites too

Wow. That's ridiculous in all the best possible ways. It "pops out" so much it almost doesn't look like it's just an animated flat.

I baked some ambient glow into the texture itself to give it that effect. The gif is captured in gzdoom but thanks to being made up of 4 animation sequences it's boom compatible, with the caveat of the flat edge bleed issue in software rendering.

Yep, this will Be in otex. Just over 100 days to release!