• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Post your Doom textures!

34 minutes ago, Doom_Dude said:

@AconyX Nice!

I really like these two:  q5bVQ7V.png  jhvIxxY.png

Thanks. Those were simple and fun to make. Gotta take advantage of mixing Doom stock textures.

1 hour ago, AconyX said:

Thanks. Those were simple and fun to make. Gotta take advantage of mixing Doom stock textures.

Yes, taking advantage is good.

I did a remix of the icon of sin and some green marble just now and came up with this.

Had to piece the panels together and filled in the hole so Romero wouldn't jump out...... ;)

sin2icon.png.e34a2aee10df7649d0f7144969277a34.png

And found some stone faces in a google search so I grabbed this one

chUP1nD.png

and ended up with this.
Marbud1.png.df07d120174f6efc903341eba841d757.png

Edited by Doom_Dude

On 11/10/2018 at 6:41 PM, Jaws In Space said:

I thought it would be fun to make a switch that does a little bit more than turn a button on & off.

MxTwKmJ.png

p4QnrPm.png

I know this is a late reply, but would it not be possible to make the on part animated in Boom? it would give it a ton of life if you flipped the switch and the monitor started animating (I'm not asking you to animate, just wondering if this was even possible).

4 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

(I'm not asking you to animate, just wondering if this was even possible).

OTEX does this with a few of its' switches, and it's boom compatible. It's definitely possible!

You can animate both the on and the off parts. You just need both textures to also be animated, and with Boom's SWITCHES and ANIMATED lumps it's easy. Final Doom did it in a vanilla way by slapping the switch textures in the middle of animated textures, it's kind of a mess but it works.

What isn't possible in Boom is to have the switch activation be an animation itself, i.e. going from on to off having more than 2 frames. (At least as far as I'm aware.)

1 hour ago, ukiro said:

What isn't possible in Boom is to have the switch activation be an animation itself, i.e. going from on to off having more than 2 frames. (At least as far as I'm aware.)

Yes.

As Gez mentioned, it is possible with ANIMATED.

See the BOOM REFERENCE GUIDE and/or ANIMATED

or if using G/ZDOOM ANIMDEFS.

Edited by Kappes Buur

1 hour ago, Kappes Buur said:

Yes.

As Gez mentioned, it is possible with ANIMATED

you misunderstood me. I mean to animate the transition only, not the on or off states. 

Animating the transition isn't possible without using Hexen features (ANIMDEFS can do it) or extreme kludgehacks. Like make your animation in the "on" state, but make it really really long by duplicating the "final" frame hundreds of time to make it look like it stays on to all but the most patient players waiting in front of the switch to catch the animation looping.

I'd rather just put a regular switch in Boom-compat SWITCHES and make the animated transition in ANIMDEFS as a bonus for those using a compatible port, instead of bloating the texture cache with hundreds of identical textures.

You could possibly fake the effect by having the switch linked to a voodoo conveyor and displacement scroller. I imagine it would work something like this:

The "frames" comprising the transitional texture would be placed side by side.

The displacement scroller would need to be tagged to the linedef with the switch texture, so it would need to be used as a mid texture with the "real" switch hidden 1 unit behind it.

The scroller would be in a sector with a difference in floor/ceiling height of 0. When the switch is activated, it allows the voodoo player to move along the conveyor, which has two W1 linedef triggers on it. The first trigger causes either the ceiling to instantly raise or the floor to instantly lower, and the second immediately reverses this change, causing the texture to stop scrolling again.

I believe the amount the linedef scrolls = (linedef length / 32) x sector height difference. If the "frames" of the texture are 64 wide you could therefore make use of anywhere from a linedef length of 32 and a height difference of 64, to a linedef length of 2048 and a height difference of 1.

The above is entirely a thought exercise, so I may well have gone wrong somewhere.

Edited by NiGHTMARE

I was asking specifically about the on and off frames. I believe its done in TNT, but I wasn't sure if that was hardcoded or not. I think you can just define the off/on texture in the animdefs or whatever, but I didn't know if a texture could be animated and a switch or not. Thanks for clearing it up guys!

6 hours ago, NiGHTMARE said:

You could possible fake the effect by having the switch linked to a voodoo conveyor and displacement scroller. I imagine it would work something like this:

Funny idea! I can think of a few ways to create a similar effect, but this one is nice in that it doesn't require any additional sectors or hackiness at the sidedef being animated. Here's a quick prototype:

On 2/3/2020 at 6:27 AM, Gez said:

I'd rather just put a regular switch in Boom-compat SWITCHES and make the animated transition in ANIMDEFS as a bonus for those using a compatible port, instead of bloating the texture cache with hundreds of identical textures.

So to understand the mechanics, if a full switch animation is A-B-C (like several examples in the Romero dump), you'd define the switch in SWITCHES as A-C, but in ANIMDEFS you'd define the 'on' part of switch C as the animated sequence B-C, right? So you could do the same thing with the 4-step switches in the Romero dump. You'd have to make sure the switches are G1 or S1 and not repeatable, because the transition frame wouldn't be seen on the way back to 'off'. Wait. Could you add the 'Oscillate' flag to play the full animation backwards (on a permanent SR switch)?

-----

I was also looking for a specific texture. One of the things I lost when my HD crashed was a truecolor 32-frame FIREBLU, very much in the style of the Caustics Generator textures on the previous page. I ripped it from a mod several years ago, but don't remember which. I'd post this in the 'looking for a wad' thread, but I don't care about the mod, just the texture. It looks great when used as a gate. Does anybody have this or know which mod it came from?

Yeah, that's how I think it'd work. ANIMDEFS override SWITCHES. Look at how Hexen defined its own multi-step switches, because IIRC they do animate fully both ways.

The way Hexen did it was having an ACS script change the texture quickly, which might get annoying if you have many of that animating type of switch. I don't recommend doing THAT unless it's your only option.

Some pillars available in large, half-size, and a 'clean' version without any grain or scratchs.

These were made completely from scratch in GIMP and are free to use however anyone would like, with or without crediting.

PIL01.png.fccfff4aac2860f7b4993fafead346e5.pngPIL02.png.9456f397fa614dc9a3bc51498da7de33.pngpillar2.png.511fdecfb706b1c41395da53e60ddcb1.png

On 1/26/2020 at 11:02 AM, Nootrac4571 said:

It's always bothered me that crates in Doom don't have pallets underneath them. How do UAC move them around?

41928012_cratetextures.png.4a874e2c7535f394568704d69d9c793c.png

Example:

Reveal hidden contents

crates.jpg.1710bf492f2dbc1a13feeb7a6f1a4f89.jpg

I made one crate like that quite a long time ago. Think I made my holes too deep. Yours looks pretty nice.

Know what's kinda weird. I was sitting here looking at some Quake 2 screenshots I took earlier today and after all this time, I never clued in to the rounded holes at the bottom of the crates are functional forklift slots.

hRJ3U7k.jpg

DAVID_19.png.5762ca08b5d6ef62f2a8ee1df9483cd7.pngOBLIV_02.png.57f72aa39a15d68462f7429e446ac68e.pngOBLIV_17.png.e2d87f3445212f598c3db2357cd1d1de.pngCHAIN1.png.4dff1d3e8c4e811660ef33f7d7bda477.pngCHAIN2.png.d94ad8703ff34fbd7ef8707ecc47e905.png

I was going through some old WADs in my archives and came across Mortgfx.wad, file dated May 10, 1999. These were textures intended for Mortality TC that never came to be. I think the project web site was once hosted on doomworld.com? Most of the textures are simple edits of doom2.wad, hexen.wad, and gothictx.wad resources, but these ones are OK-ish. I know David "Dagger" Gevert did the far-left one here but the other ones were likely by the project lead. I think DoomWiz?

Edited by Afterglow : Mortality TC project lead = DoomWiz, I think?

A more seamlessly-tiling version of SUPPORT2. I might have posted this ages ago, but here it is again:

sXjIVTi.png

At one point I had the idea that I was going to fix the vertical tiling on all the IWAD textures, since some of them have very noticeable seams or boundaries. This is the only thing I can find right now, though.

It would be awesome if this thread were compiled into a wad, if any enterprising people wanted to do that.

Keeping my social distance by turning my 3d art into Doom textures! Here's my progress so far:

AC_bkg.png

MELFHEAD.png

VCCEIL01.png

VCFLOR01.png

VORCAT01.png

VORCAT02.png

More miscellaneous finds, feel free to do whatever you want with these:

Some gross animated guts. Get a wad with 128px walls and 64px floors at https://www.mediafire.com/file/rkzv0u6vtbqveib/doomguts.wad/file

njN9sQa.gif

Hand-drawn buildings for a sky texture. It could do with some touch-ups, that small building near the right edge should probably be fuzzed a lot more, among other things. edit: fixed it some. You have to chop it up yourself, sorry.

7tcXEff.png

Some ugly bricks. I didn't actually check that these tile but they probably do.

cRH3skN.png

Edited by plums

The image you're looking for is in the walls/work folder of the Romero dump zip

or Linguica's png conversion zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5fkgoglrhvjqgva/doom-textures-png.zip?dl=0

or Fraggle's github repository.

https://github.com/fragglet/RomeroDoomDump

The image name is 'wincrap'.

As to 'unused texture resource', I thought someone created a wad with all the unreleased dump stuff in it. Maybe earlier in this thread. And wasn't Xaser working on a compilation resource wad of all the alpha and dump stuff back when?

-------

Edit: Might as well post a texture, too. This is a switch I've seen in several 'mega-switch' textures. I've also seen just the right half used as a separate SR switch for a lift, a door/airlock and an elevator. But it was never animated, so I did. Also brightened the word 'locked' a little to make it easier to read. The top is the original 'off' version; didn't touch it. Posted it so they're together. Hopefully a useful edit.

aGsw93a.png

Edited by EffinghamHuffnagel