Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Post your Doom textures!

12 hours ago, kwc said:

My aim is to make these as compatible as possible, so if anyone has any tips on making 24px tiles, well, tile, (functionally or aesthetically) let me know :)

For horizontal tiling, the usual way I've seen is to just make the texture entry really long and a power of two, and repeat the actual texture graphic to fill this width. You'll end up with some kind of "remainder" at the end, so the level designer just has to avoid making walls that are long enough to actually show that part. If it's something like a door that isn't usually meant to repeat, you can just extend the texture to the next po2 so it repeats another 0.5 times or whatever.

14 hours ago, Gifty said:

Vines, viscera, or some kind of mystery smear?

1.png

2.png

3.png

Physarum slime?

Edited by Gez

Made a bunch of quicko functional textures for anyone who might use'em. Vaguely Plutonia-box themed.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

On 9/1/2020 at 6:12 PM, HQDefault said:

I was messing around with modifying some HL1 textures and found this sick dude on a surfboard

HLTX2492.png.7c2ca85f2f4fd608b915fb1aee581e97.png

So anyway now we have this

SURFSUP.png.6764306f0d75496ef07ebd897eea44f3.png

I'm so putting that on a table texture for one of my WADS

One last GiftyBrik and then I take a GiftyBreak. I'm finding Substance Designer to be much faster for texture creation than my original Blender method. Gonna take some time to learn the program a little better, and then try and create a "megawall" material, with lots of modular gubbins that can be switched on or off (archways, windows, cracks etc) that'll allow me to pump out a texture set on the quick.

nm.png

Edited by Gifty

For a game project I'm working on. Those are just base textures, I'm supposed to make the actual in-game textures using those. Some variations of Rock, RockIcy and RockDirty (not in that order). RockDirty does not imply pre-applied detail textures in any way; it is just a dull brown, less contrasted base texture.

RockDirty2.png.9b58c47e644defd003d3fc7aebbe297b.pngRockDirty1.png.9c51458fe6396e7ead70632495f04638.pngRockIcy2.png.71ef0f69b94ef9c5c1dc1f446547d816.pngRockIcy1.png.ea478fed33c3ed3d87d10809e34c2d38.pngRock3.png.c2f3b4637b626ab8e56d53929d969108.pngRock2.png.dd780857b7a58eeef725433dffa3f45e.pngRock1.png.49c1ed1b34a52f31948bb9b4aa08dd35.png

Also a few detail textures. Two Cracks, and one Dirt, in that order.

Cracks2.png.94568e66e296adc5e41616ef61d45530.pngCracks1.png.7d901cdfb4d9f542fd6cac55134d1214.png

Dirt1.png.ddef820989470a11ed1bf009e7ced224.png

Since I don't want to restrict myself to any PLAYPAL, I instead find solace in using indexed (paletted) PNGs, with anywhere between 32 and 256 colours. This one for instance has 32. It's also the only one I have prepared for game use so far.

ROCK2.png.d74f8c2d90db5e939b7d262b283ab9ac.png

Any ideas on how I can make those better? I really feel like I'm doing something wrong.

6 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

Since I don't want to restrict myself to any PLAYPAL, I instead find solace in using indexed (paletted) PNGs, with anywhere between 32 and 256 colours.

I'm confused, if you are trying to avoid the restrictions of the doom palette, why are you paletting your pngs, even if it's not to doom specs are you not just restricting yourself in another manner? Why not use RGB?

The short answer is compression. Indexed mode PNG can look surprisingly good while saving a lot of space. Additionally, the Doom palette is a bit restricted in terms of the final gamut of colours, both hues and shades (Missing: Cyan. If you have any information on it, please contact...), whereas here I can let GIMP pick what colours it thinks match best. Pretty nifty.

Ah I see, so you're making the initial edits in RGB and then compressing them to their own index for space, limiting the color depth to 256 based on a case-by-case basis, but virtually limitless within the scope of all textures you make.

What did you use to make your base textures? It looks like Perlin Noise. Maybe overlaying some relief, like greyscaling a normalmap, on them will give them a bit more of a tactile appearance.

Edited by kwc

@Gifty How do you export your textures where the lighting and nodes make a single rendered image? I've looked all over on how to do it, but couldn't find anything on it. I have to resort to taking a top-down screenshot of a plane in the 3d viewer and cutting it out with Photoshop. I'm assuming I might need to use a different software like Blender? I'm still pretty new to making 3d textures..

36 minutes ago, StalkerBlade said:

@Gifty How do you export your textures where the lighting and nodes make a single rendered image? I've looked all over on how to do it, but couldn't find anything on it. I have to resort to taking a top-down screenshot of a plane in the 3d viewer and cutting it out with Photoshop. I'm assuming I might need to use a different software like Blender? I'm still pretty new to making 3d textures..

I've been wondering the same thing, because I'd like to blend my different lightmaps within the program itself. What I'm doing currently is simply exporting the different nodes separately (AO, normal, height or color) and blending them in Gimp, which only takes a little extra time.

@StalkerBlade @Gifty

AFAIK, there is Sprite Lamp & SpriteIlluminator if you're wanting to export a lit texture in one go, both have demo's or trials that essentially allow you to do this method indefinitely.
Some caveats though:
Sprite Illuminator

• Only supports normal maps
  • After the 30 day trial it will process all images with a 32px-or-so banner below the exported texture, so you will have to manually cut that out after. (example in spoiler)

Spoiler

diff_lit.png.013cb0d941a4bbb2f8ad1e0fac9dd7bf.png

Sprite Lamp

• Supports a larger number of PBR materials, but also expects that you create like 5 separate "lit" sprites beforehand, which seems like more work than it's worth. (screenshot below)
  • Interface is quite a headache, even with it's featureset.

Spoiler

image.png.7bdd8d05c833e33aa49b64442d570cf9.png

The only other free option I can suggest would be Modlab, which unfortunately doesn't include a built-in fully-lit export option, so you would be going through the screenshot method. :(

Spoiler

FilterForge allows for these features though, and as far as I know you can feed it's color nodes PBR images if you have a license that allows you to edit filters. (or you can download my .ffxml file.)

On 9/3/2020 at 8:13 PM, kwc said:

What did you use to make your base textures? It looks like Perlin Noise. Maybe overlaying some relief, like greyscaling a normalmap, on them will give them a bit more of a tactile appearance.

I just used some non-uniform brushes in GIMP, alongside with the Dynamics Random setting, to make a somewhat convincing noise. Perlin noise wouldn't be so dotty, unless you overlaid a fine layer too. For instance, Minecraft's overworld terrain is a modified Perlin heightmap. Do you see any dots here and there? Dits and dahs? No?

Also, normal maps? Aren't those for 3D things?

3 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

Perlin noise wouldn't be so dotty, unless you overlaid a fine layer too. 

Perlin noise can look like a lot of things depending on what values you set.

Spoiler

image.png.0bb2d8100a322a4d7b4c4b7f79fc1d37.png

5 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

Indeed they are, but they can make for some great overlays if you greyscale and flip them (depending on how you want your lighting.)

1 hour ago, Gustavo6046 said:

Doom levels are 3D things. :p

Seriously though, GZDoom allows you to have PBR textures. You just need to place a few light sources for them to work. (Doom's static ambient lighting isn't really compatible with physics-based rendering.)

Edited by Gez

When making Doom textures I usually just use the normal as a heightmap/base to layer AO and color data on top of. But yep! Gzdoom also supports real normals, too.

I know GZDoom has PBR. It also has normal mapping + specularity support, which I think I will use here instead, since it's simpler and I don't need too much fanciness. (It's supposed to be compatible with Zandronum, after all.)

I'm going to give the specular maps few colours and auto-dither them positionally (rather than Floyd-Steinberg), though. I feel like the almost diamond-like patterns of the positional dither might grant nice overall aesthetics! It might even recover some of the lofi-ish feel spent away when using normal/spec materials :D

Lazy slade recolors, needs some manual touch up here and there I don't feel like doing at the moment.

0wsPflb.png

11 minutes ago, Gez said:

Lazy slade recolors, needs some manual touch up here and there I don't feel like doing at the moment.

for when people consistently miss the blue door  ;)

So I made a little test map with good ole Doom2 props to test the lighting and materials. It looks pretty nice, althoooough I don't really notice that much of a difference with the normal maps? Wasn't there supposed to be a bit of a bump or something? Did I not set some bump value somewhere? Either way it looks nice.

GZDoom:

image.png.c7d2f6a2ca8778b8992ac6b8a696358d.png

Zandronum:

image.png.cd43af1353e3421e125f5b7ccb65e0ac.png

Also, here is the new lamp texture, LITROK2B: (diffuse, brightmap, specular, normal)

LITROK2B.png.3875c792e94231b7abd35cd8d5a09399.pngLITROK2B.png.4e9ca23f317b4601af4e884fce56bf71.pngLITROK2B.png.a7477c89dd2e9da5df3366fbdd67f493.pngLITROK2B.png.b30201aca7ed5643b1b9a8ccb23b0220.png

And here is the material for the regular ROCK2B texture: (diffuse, specular, normal)

ROCK2B.png.d430a15a2d3f2220f676f6067aa08de8.pngROCK2B.png.e4a6bcf62518f07330c6485c06cd6eb0.pngLITROK2B.png.06616a4926b301ff9430df3de6cd2069.png

Oops, I forgot to turn off the software banded lighting setting in GZDoom. This is kind of a really important thing, so don't mind if I update in a 2nd post would you?

Closer look at that lamp, because I know you love these delicious screenshots~

6pHPtLu.png

Same thing, but with ambient occlusion frying my PC while I stare at this goddamn light:

z8TJgx2.png

EDIT: Oh, I see! It works with dynamic lights!

hgw9LoA.png

Sadly the effect does not work in Zandronum. At least it's not even nearly as noticeable, if it is there at all.

aaki0uN.png

Edited by Gustavo6046