Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Post your Doom textures!

4 hours ago, kwc said:

Back on my old crap

1190290238_spritesheet(1).png.fa4a0300e923e005b87d93cb7ac307ce.pngspritesheet.png.a37e85b178ac194028e2f2bbd0b16d88.png
Just some WIPs and recolours.

Can't decide if the doors are washed out or the flats are too contrasted.

IMO the doors are too washed out, and I've seen them on a couple of displays now. The way they go from light to lighter makes them look a bit like they're behind glass. Flats look good to me.

I really like the base layer on the WIP doors though. I think it'd make a great base for hellish marble/stone textures too. Is this one hand painted layer or multiple? I notice your textures have got a mix of colours, something I haven't worked out how to do but is very characteristically Doom. Fourth row second from left and second from right flats also excellent examples of this.  I compare this to my textures where brown is mostly brown, green just shades of green etc. I've tried painting random bits of other colours on in a few different ways, also tried selecting based on shadows/highlights and painting that but it's looked terrible every time. Any tips?

The doors could benefit from being more... doory. They look like flat wall panels. I don't think the warning stripes are clue enough because, wall, there's plenty of normal walls with gratuitous warning stripes on them in Doom textures (even stock ones).

11 hours ago, Gez said:

The doors could benefit from being more... doory. They look like flat wall panels. I don't think the warning stripes are clue enough because, wall, there's plenty of normal walls with gratuitous warning stripes on them in Doom textures (even stock ones).

8 hours ago, YouAreTheDemons said:

I didn’t even realize they were doors at first until I read it

Thanks guys! You're both right, it doesn't look very door-ish right now at all. The only giveaway would be the stripe, and as Gez rightly said, that's not enough of an indicator. It was on the back of my mind when posting it, I knew there was more to be done. I have some bevel overlays cooked up but I would have to address the contrast first before tackling it, I'll do a few runs and maybe get some feedback again here in the near future. 

12 hours ago, holaareola said:

IMO the doors are too washed out, and I've seen them on a couple of displays now. The way they go from light to lighter makes them look a bit like they're behind glass. Flats look good to me.

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate that you took the time to check on a few displays. I think contrast is the big challenge for me right now, especially if you're not looking at something for reference, it's easy to get acclimated.

12 hours ago, holaareola said:

I really like the base layer on the WIP doors though. I think it'd make a great base for hellish marble/stone textures too. Is this one hand painted layer or multiple? I notice your textures have got a mix of colours, something I haven't worked out how to do but is very characteristically Doom. Fourth row second from left and second from right flats also excellent examples of this.  I compare this to my textures where brown is mostly brown, green just shades of green etc. I've tried painting random bits of other colours on in a few different ways, also tried selecting based on shadows/highlights and painting that but it's looked terrible every time. Any tips?

I think the big thing is that I often use photographic or procedural sources, rather than drawing textures by absolute scratch. Different colours or imperfections etc. come baked in, and then mindfully scrolling through hue shift while the image is in index mode or a lookup table helps, often I find the brown/green/grey mix can be found rather easily. If you would rather stick to drawing things independently, @40oz had left a pretty good tip on the first or second page of this thread about running multiple passes of different colourized versions of a texture and doing a fancy mask + spraypaint/brush type technique in order to get some of that multi-coloured texture business going. Mainly for me it's been a method of huescrolling/contrast and index swapping stuff. I think a lot of the magic really is in using sources though.

12 hours ago, kwc said:

I think the big thing is that I often use photographic or procedural sources, rather than drawing textures by absolute scratch. Different colours or imperfections etc. come baked in, and then mindfully scrolling through hue shift while the image is in index mode or a lookup table helps, often I find the brown/green/grey mix can be found rather easily. If you would rather stick to drawing things independently, @40oz had left a pretty good tip on the first or second page of this thread about running multiple passes of different colourized versions of a texture and doing a fancy mask + spraypaint/brush type technique in order to get some of that multi-coloured texture business going. Mainly for me it's been a method of huescrolling/contrast and index swapping stuff. I think a lot of the magic really is in using sources though.

That's really helpful, appreciate the detailed reply. Given me some useful ideas.

The info on the first page of this thread is fantastic! Wish I'd seen that earlier.

This depends on how much you can look up and down and how much of the sky is visible. Doom managed to get away with 128 by only showing a sky ceiling (usually; there's some sky floors in Doom II but I don't remember instances of a room being fully sky in the stock IWADs); Heretic added looking up and down and extended its skies to 200 but again they never had levels floating in the sky.

I think if you truly want to prevent looping in ZDoom's software renderer for a room with sky floor and sky ceiling, you need a texture height of 512. At least it's what I remember measuring years ago.

Without mouselook and a correctly implemented renderer, 200 px height is sufficient. However, all the barrel projection modes in GZDoom breaks this, in addition to that engine doing Y offset on sky transfers wrong, so it's all a big mess.

Not that basic! I guess the colors are pretty standard, but plenty interesting otherwise. Most of them have multiple layers of interesting stuff going on. The foggy city looks real neat, city skies are my favorite. And it looks like it'd fade out really smoothly in hardware renderer. The black sky is real neat too, it's like some sort of underworld cave? And it seems to tile vertically too!

5 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

Not that basic! I guess the colors are pretty standard, but plenty interesting otherwise. Most of them have multiple layers of interesting stuff going on. The foggy city looks real neat, city skies are my favorite. And it looks like it'd fade out really smoothly in hardware renderer. The black sky is real neat too, it's like some sort of underworld cave? And it seems to tile vertically too!

The black sky was meant for a wispy void episode that I never got around to finishing.

It's an edit of this painting by Zdzislaw Beksinski

Spoiler

image.png.9274bb47476ddcd0aaf825123558485e.png

I just opened it up in gimp, cut out the section I wanted and clicked make seamless.

That's a nice painting, you can do a lot of creepy textures from it.

For example:

4mDitPq.png

The colors are a bit all over the place, but it's perfect for some slimy cave, or some weird hellsky.

19 hours ago, Gez said:

That's a nice painting, you can do a lot of creepy textures from it.

For example:

4mDitPq.png

The colors are a bit all over the place, but it's perfect for some slimy cave, or some weird hellsky.

Excellent for some grimy cave walls.

Also, the creepy dude in the painting could be looking at the player. From a window, a painting, whatever. 

Wanted to try and make texture out of a piece of a fake brick wall that was vandalized by my cat. I still haven't figured out how to deal with palettes, so slade was a little weird about it.

Original:

crack.jpg.88ee592c38df59ae1b0470c4095ccccc.jpg

After being coverted in slade:

CRACKWAL.png.b3addd25864cefbc461df5d62deb3e43.png

I don't think I have any uses for it, but maybe someone might like it.

Also dumb idea I attempted before, new and improved now that I know how stamp tool works. Colorize the grayscale version at your own peril.

SCREAMR.png

scream.png

Just now, ViolentBeetle said:

The photograph was made in jpg, I don't know what converting it to PNG would achieve. It won't get any better.

The photograph was a 256x128 jpg?
When you save an image as jpg it will compress the image further, if you downscaled a jpg and saved as png the compression will be less obvious.

9 minutes ago, kwc said:

The photograph was a 256x128 jpg?
When you save an image as jpg it will compress the image further, if you downscaled a jpg and saved as png the compression will be less obvious.

Oh, didn't think of it. I'm not really sure what compression is visible there, but I'll probably experiment some more with better original photograph.

Made a little patch that fits on the wooden panel out of my great uncle's self-portrait. It didn't palette all that well, but it can still work if are tired of that demon painting hanging on your walls.

GRAMPS.png

I figured out how to clean up my previous experiment. So here's a properly green patch of cracked or scratched wall. It tiles in all directions and paletted for doom.

CRACKWALG.png