Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Post your Doom textures!

On 9/11/2021 at 1:57 PM, StrangerRanger said:

Just a Caco recolor

This fits nicely on the white marble wall (As an alternative to baron's face)

+ Something that I always felt was needed but never actually saw done

BIGBRIK12.png

BIGBRIK21.png

Edited by ViolentBeetle

12 hours ago, DooMAD said:

You might find it easier, instead of trying to draw an arch from scratch, to use an existing texture as a base.

Existing texture: 

arch_orig.png

Merged with Doom 2 textures:

marblearch.png marblearch2.png brownarch.png

Good idea.

Good effort, but I feel it's worth explaining that the latest arches you posted would not work well in older source ports due to the anti-aliasing on the bottom of the archway, which will look awful when converted to Doom's 8bit palette.

It's also worth nothing that the skewing of the wooden edges seems very distorted and odd at the left and rightmost sides. I would also be careful with scaling some elements like you have, the SUPPORT3 trims either side of the gargoyle look very unusual when downscaled that much. Lastly, I'd suggest learning to get down and dirty with some more manual pixel work versus using the most convenient modern tools when it comes to scaling and distorting assets, as oftentimes the result will be better suited for Doom.

Don't let this discourage you though, just felt it's worth explaining this so you can improve as you go!

On 9/12/2021 at 1:27 PM, msx2plus said:

some gritty odds and ends

WPANL2.png.c21a484f934209843ef955986188cdce.pngWPANL1.png.fe4d2867a027bd32abab448e02a5b9c4.png

These are all nice but I especially love these two. Nice work!

On 9/13/2021 at 4:43 PM, DooMAD said:

You might find it easier, instead of trying to draw an arch from scratch, to use an existing texture as a base.

Existing texture: 

arch_orig.png

Merged with Doom 2 textures:

marblearch.png marblearch2.png brownarch.png

where is the "existing texture" used here from?

19 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Good effort, but I feel it's worth explaining that the latest arches you posted would not work well in older source ports due to the anti-aliasing on the bottom of the archway, which will look awful when converted to Doom's 8bit palette.

It's also worth nothing that the skewing of the wooden edges seems very distorted and odd at the left and rightmost sides. I would also be careful with scaling some elements like you have, the SUPPORT3 trims either side of the gargoyle look very unusual when downscaled that much. Lastly, I'd suggest learning to get down and dirty with some more manual pixel work versus using the most convenient modern tools when it comes to scaling and distorting assets, as oftentimes the result will be better suited for Doom.

Don't let this discourage you though, just felt it's worth explaining this so you can improve as you go!

Thanks for constructive criticism.

13 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

download link on the thread seems broken... or at least, its not working for me. Looks really cool.

13 hours ago, MattFright said:

Just checked, it's broken for me too... huh

Weird.  They work for me.  Do some browsers not approve of "."s in filenames?  Do the links in the news post on my main site work?  http://www.teamhellspawn.com/

I think some browsers these days (or browser configurations) no longer accept any http links?

1 hour ago, DooMAD said:

Weird.  They work for me.  Do some browsers not approve of "."s in filenames?  Do the links in the news post on my main site work?  http://www.teamhellspawn.com/

Still nothing. I'm using Brave, and when i click on the link, it does open up something but closes back without ever initiating a download. It's weird because the previous version's link used to work just fine for me...

Okay, so I've just tested this and success! I downloaded the 'wad' version from these links:

http://www.teamhellspawn.com/stalungcraeft2.1.1png.zip  

http://www.teamhellspawn.com/stalungcraeft2.1.1wad.zip

They were found in this thread:

I'm using Firefox as my browser and I tested the files using Doom Builder. I was able to open the resource pack for Doom, Heretic, and Blasphemer. I also tested the older version of Stalung and it immediately crashed in Doom Builder.

When I did open it I got a little misty eyed, this is truly an incredible texture pack. I see in the original thread this was first published in 2018 but I see DooMAD has continued to develop it. I was away from the DW community during that time and completely missed this. It's feels like such a complete collection of everything medieval, fantasy, and rustic. The 7 major colors are great AND 4 tones for the wood section! I really like how this pack focuses on filling the gaps of textures and less on 'decorative' thematic stuff, and in that way seems like it will be very useful. DooMAD, great stuff!

Follow up: Some of the textures appeared as a blank black (non)texture in game when running the wad version. I'm not sure but they may be missing patches or weren't compiled into the wad correctly.

Edited by Egregor

Damn, those look super fun! Especially the wider ones, I feel like they'd make cool skies.

On 9/15/2021 at 11:32 AM, MattFright said:

Still nothing. I'm using Brave, and when i click on the link, it does open up something but closes back without ever initiating a download. It's weird because the previous version's link used to work just fine for me...

Right click the link and select "save link as". Then select "keep" instead of "discard". At least that worked for me in Chrome. Its just being a bitch about possibly unsecure downloads.

Just now, ViolentBeetle said:

No, like this. I actually made a picture earlier but forgot where I extracted it to.

MARBGRAY.png

Oooh this is great, I will definitely try to make a texture like this.

not exactly the most adequate place to post it at the moment, but making a separate thread would be pointless and i already posted screenshots here, so :p

XQv9wTS.png     tirT35J.png

here's a pretty-much-final version of my font aoi, but in white get it?. big one comes only as a pcx sheet as i couldn't get a fon2 lump to generate properly (if anyone could help me out with that i'd be super grateful!), small font comes as a pcx sheet too, but also as a wad with all offsets adjusted and as individual letters, since exporting all the lumps from the wad was easy enough. have fun with it!

downloar