Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Post your Doom textures!

7 minutes ago, ukiro said:

I'm definitely someone who encourages people to make their own textures, but a general piece of advice—not aimed at anyone in particular but broadly from observing the posts in here over the last few months—is to try mapping with your textures before posting them here, and ask yourself if they work well or if they could use some additional effort. If you're going through the effort of sourcing, scaling, tweaking, tiling, and palette converting stuff for Doom, add that extra step and it'll all be a lot more worthwhile.

That’s definitely something I should be better at. There’s been more times than I like to admit where I put a texture together, am super proud of it, and then look at it in-game and realized it doesn’t look great as-is.

But even then I still just share a some of them here without testing them first. 😅

6 hours ago, ukiro said:

to add to this, create textures you actually want to use - if you finish a few up and they don't inspire you to make some kind of something, you might've missed the mark. i scrap the large majority of textures i start working on because they don't spark anything.

whether other people find them useful is another story altogether lmao - i tend to favor abstract chaotic forms over actual structures and coherence in my non-gzdoom work so i lean into that big time with my textures.

On 10/11/2021 at 2:53 AM, msx2plus said:

CONCWALC.png.517718d14965dce433c9f042eaff8cc0.pngCONCWALB.png.edfefda554a7b195f3c26f67fe3314bc.png

Those are sweet textures, but is there a reason why are arrows not aligned to the start and finish of them? Also, arrows to the left would be useful (I suspect simply mirroring them would cause them to align poorly with other textures and I'm not any good at actual image editing)

I didn't do the alignment bit, but the arrows themselves can be flipped horizontally without too much retouching:

conwalrl.png conwalyl.png

Also blue and green, because why not?

conwalbl.png conwalbr.png conwalgl.png conwalgr.png

7 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Those are sweet textures, but is there a reason why are arrows not aligned to the start and finish of them? Also, arrows to the left would be useful (I suspect simply mirroring them would cause them to align poorly with other textures and I'm not any good at actual image editing)

you should just be able to offset the texture horizontally ingame to mostly accomodate this - i imagined them being cut off by supporting beam type walls or some other trim and the trim would look better with the arrow half in it than the arrow meeting at the edge of it.

Here's a set of red variants. I may do other colors later.

vnIDG8q.pngWnjXIyC.pngGhctqRS.pngmcevqX5.pngCbov3zk.png

That way you have textures that "start" and "stop" the chevrons. I made my own mirrored version because I didn't like those white pixels on DooMAD's. The way I did it, I took the difference between the chevrons and the unpainted baseline, mirrored it, then applied it back, in the idea of preserving the original grain of the wall and only mirroring the paint.

It's a weird texture and doesn't, if I look closely, fit the style of much else in Doom, but I've always liked BROWNPIP.

But the way it tiles hurts my eyes. Probably duplicating previous work, but here's a sane version, and one you can use to terminate horizontal runs:

ZPIPWL2.png

ZPIPWL2B.png

Recolors:

I actually redid the yellow from the red version, the Doom palette is terrible at yellows and it's hard not to get the colors all flattened. Not sure this one is all that much better, though. A bit to flecked perhaps?

9nRoHww.png0e0HUfj.png

KU9xVXJ.pngXHDcGd3.png

Non-paletted hue cycle + desat:

UzifaLv.pngrMoCT78.png

Vb0GW1K.pngJiZUSRp.png

a3gGqMd.pngNyPepwZ.png

lzVYmE4.pngAADvCVU.png

Here's a couple I fixed up and put in my map for the Ultimate TWANGO project:

SWTW1.png.f75b21706caca6c4f953c20905d58845.pngSWTW2.png.fd9e18df76d78f056233cdd7890f97bb.png

Here's a bloody one too:

SWBLD1.png.5ccc8105aabcd52c5887fa2d4e838199.png

And I'm probably not the first to re-color this flat, but here's a tan/sand color version:

MFLRT_1.png.baa98996b23686f23a678761470327df.png

I'm experimenting with "crudely drawn in paint placeholder textures" for a gimmick map. I took those squares from MAP31 of Valiant and crudely drawn switches in it.

I think I should experiment with some kind of anti-aliasing more.

SW1VR.pngSW2VR.png

SW1VR2.pngSW2VR2.png

Update: Example on colorization options:

SW1VR0.pngSW2VR0.png

Edited by ViolentBeetle

Partially inspired by @ChestedArmor but mostly by Valiant secret map, I spent yesterday and this morning on "Crudely Drawn Placeholder" texture pack.

It contains Several kinds of squares and rectangle, bricks, and abstract kind of thing to represent organic texture as well as 4 different very (and deliberately) crudely drawn switches that I might need to thicken a bit for better visibility, as well as doors and lifts - all exist in variants of white, red, blue, orange, green and yellow.

doom55.png

3 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Partially inspired by @ChestedArmor but mostly by Valiant secret map, I spent yesterday and this morning on "Crudely Drawn Placeholder" texture pack.

It contains Several kinds of squares and rectangle, bricks, and abstract kind of thing to represent organic texture as well as 4 different very (and deliberately) crudely drawn switches that I might need to thicken a bit for better visibility, as well as doors and lifts - all exist in variants of white, red, blue, orange, green and yellow.

What an honor!

I have some animated textures, switches and animated switches added, hope you can do something with them:neon tiles.rar

Examples:

Spoiler

On.png.d8f7f93436f56b1a69e8b56b3b34eeab.pngOff.png.861654c97cc184c81520a98211192760.pngswitch1.png.569154917dfc169923c2bea5a99c030b.pngswitch2.png.fb168699f00c0c3ee09af04b3fc9b6ad.pngswitch3.png.1d088d17ed0a332031a04335dae6ff8c.pngredarwr1.png.a78a0a404aaaa8e710625d0a093087aa.pngredarwr2.png.86ffa8af37a7df989c36ccf9950bee80.png

Did you know that if you delete bricks from WOLF's brick texture, you get a grate. I made a couple of color remaps for different shades.

MIDWOLF5.pngMIDWOLF1.pngMIDWOLF2.pngMIDWOLF3.pngMIDWOLF4.png

7 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Did you know that if you delete bricks from WOLF's brick texture, you get a grate. I made a couple of color remaps for different shades.

MIDWOLF5.pngMIDWOLF1.pngMIDWOLF2.pngMIDWOLF3.pngMIDWOLF4.png

cool. i imagine that will work very well for surreal maps or with cyberspace themes. anyway, the red bricks look quite cartoonish.

On 10/26/2021 at 11:46 PM, Shibainumaster said:

ia started working on this russian bun store texture:buloshnaya.png.89ce25da7e5bd75d5f0033beb485989e.png

You mean Moscow. Which is not Russian. ;-b

A hi-res version, goblin/demon switch texture:

gdemon1.png.12655837aa46e43466f9b7879d6a383f.pnggdemon2.png.b54a130bbe69920a520918d869ef400f.png

Looked at the original and sculpted it in Sculptris. Later brought it in paint shop and made the required adjustments, color, eyes, etc.

Edit: These have been updated since the other day, they are now in the right aspect with a .png transparent background. ;)

Edited by Mr.Rocket

On 10/30/2021 at 3:45 PM, Shibainumaster said:

Am i right thinking you meant the Moscow style of pronounciation?

Of course.