Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Post your Doom textures!

@Naarok0fkor That looks really cool!

If there's one thing I can say about it, it's that it looks a bit flat. Maybe a bit extra contrast with shading would help. Plus, it doesn't have a lot of the "pixel" style you see in most textures.

If you do plan to downscale it to make it look pixely (which is a valid technique!), make sure it has plenty of contrast between the brights and shadows. And avoid dithering, at least if you want to hit that sweet spot for Doom in particular. Usually it works better with noisy textures, rather than smooth ones. But it's always nice to experiment anyway :)

20 hours ago, wallabra said:

@Naarok0fkor That looks really cool!

If there's one thing I can say about it, it's that it looks a bit flat. Maybe a bit extra contrast with shading would help. Plus, it doesn't have a lot of the "pixel" style you see in most textures.

If you do plan to downscale it to make it look pixely (which is a valid technique!), make sure it has plenty of contrast between the brights and shadows. And avoid dithering, at least if you want to hit that sweet spot for Doom in particular. Usually it works better with noisy textures, rather than smooth ones. But it's always nice to experiment anyway :)

Duely noted. I just want you to realize that I do enjoy big textures. They can be scaled down in UDB & still keep their detail level. If you want to modify them, you're very welcome. I used a texture found in Soulless void eater 3.0 pk3 to build those...

Edited by Naarok0fkor

23 hours ago, kwc said:

Took some time to massage a few more DN:MP textures into Doom's palette, some liberal changes regarding bevels/shapes of the bricks and general shading changes

Wow, these DN Manhattan Project edits you post look a little less darker and are more cleaner than the original DNMP textures.

Edited by Hitboi

22 hours ago, Desfar said:

Nothing super fancy by some of the recent standards, but these are some of the bricks I'm using for my 'baby's first doom wad' stuff.

Those textures could use some trasition textures between them.

21 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Those textures could use some trasition textures between them.

In the works!
I had just finished them as a proof of concept, and was seeing if they were quality enough to expound upon.

Does a wad need a TITLEPIC if it's three maps long? Probably not, but I wanted to anyway. In the true Doom fashion, it was made by finding a photograph I liked, crunching the fuck out of it, and then doing some sloppy edits. This is truecolor and it doesn't look as good paletted, so I may try to touch it up a bit more but I'm happy for now.

666674691_unknown(2).png.3649a24d139fc2effd9dea8b85acff81.png

Edited by Pokemanic33

1 hour ago, dotQLL said:

PLAT edit of TEKGREN.

TEKPLAT1.png.d6a8089682eea6bd871536574c8e73d9.png

I feel like tech-hole isn't the best choice for "Plat" but not sure what could it be instead. Some kind of hydraulics I guess.

On 6/9/2022 at 5:09 PM, Naarok0fkor said:

They can be scaled down in UDB & still keep their detail level.

Yeah, UDMF supports texture scaling. I remember using that in a project a long time ago.

Now, it makes it very easy for this to result in stylistic clash, if you pair textures with different resolutions, especially without interpolation (i.e. crispy the way the game is meant to crisp... if you wouldn't rather interpolate it, that is; which is perfectly fine!). There might be a workaround I'm missing, but you could try faking it by matching the tone and style of the surrounding textures, and maybe a little extra contrast to reinforce that pixely feel!

On 6/9/2022 at 6:25 PM, Desfar said:

Nothing super fancy by some of the recent standards, but these are some of the bricks I'm using for my 'baby's first doom wad' stuff.

Oo, that's indeed some of the textures in history!

Silliness aside, I don't see anything particularly wrong with them, especially given the nature of their usage (in a novice's WAD). I guess it could use some relief, but despite that, a pretty decent entry!

Coming back from the dead with some textures...

Some were made in powerpoint, others with libreoffice...

Spoiler

blanked, I need the space...

Edited by DELTA256 : Need to clear up my attachments...

On 6/13/2022 at 6:45 AM, DELTA256 said:

Coming back from the dead with some textures...

Did you accidentally upload something wrong? Is it bright map?

2 hours ago, Krankebok said:

I was boring so i made a door texture from the Final Doom box.

FINLDOOR.png

always wanted to see a door made out of the final doom box, well done!

Because i felt like they could be useful to other people, i decided to convert Death March's textures to something friendly with Doom palette restrictions, and compile them into a texture WAD.

Here's a preview of some of the textures:

Screenshot_323.png

You may need to modify the TEXTURE1 lump if you intend to use these textures with Doom or Ultimate Doom, because the TEXTURE1 lump is based on the one from Doom 2.

Also, some of the textures have been removed or modified from how they were in Death March, because there were some textures that didn't convert nicely to the Doom palette.

Download: https://amel.pw/trevie/dmtex.wad

PIPESGRN: Green pipes over a dirty cement, 'nuff said. Good for toxic waste facilities. Think Unreal's Terraniux.

iwyr3a.png

PCEMNGRN: And the underlying cement.

6haw5m.png

PCEMMOSS: Mossy variation.

gbcdi4.png

PMOSSBRK: Overtaken by mutant moss, a hole was bored into it.

sdiq16.png

PCEMDIRT: This wall has dirt defects!

6cuk3q.png

PCEMBEAM: With a metal beam.

c5gfhq.png

PCEAMLITE: And the beam now has a light fixture as well! Cool!

feniua.png

Did this all in like 55 minutes now in GIMP. First time I've worked on something with Indexed mode directly. It's so cool to see in real time, WYSIWYG, how blend modes play along with the Doom palette!

Edited by wallabra

On 6/14/2022 at 7:31 PM, ViolentBeetle said:

Did you accidentally upload something wrong? Is it bright map?

Nope, That's the actual colour of the textures, I was planning a sort of dark, tron-inspired look for an alternate dimension segment in a tc (or game, idk) I'm working on.

G24fmZu.png

Clean SPACEW2 since the original was more for grimy Industrial-Tek Areas. Technically the textures are 64x64 (since I didn't bother with the first 64x64 sector's unboxed vents)

Including an update on TNT's TVSNOW (I think?) though it might just be someone's reinterpretation of a D64 Computer texture (that was used over a SHAWN/AG128 backing) as well as a Robocop-inspired UACTV and OFF textures.

@enigma101 Good start, but your sky is not seamless which will create a really obvious border when in game. see below:

image.png.f3063e88b4b524d133706d2dffc1a9b0.png

To fix this, I sliced off the left half of the sky, aligned it to the right, and erased / smoothed out parts of the texture so that the connection is seamless, then stretched the image back up to size (i know, gross, but I don't have the source photograph):

image.png.5a01e80d58c08050354e015f1c002990.png

Then lastly, I reworked the colouring and exported it into doom's 256 colour palette (a lump inside the IWADs called "PLAYPAL" shows you these colours):

image.png.905659507f564f8e8a8ae0f0eb53ea1e.png

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

Then lastly, I reworked the colouring and exported it into doom's 256 colour palette (a lump inside the IWADs called "PLAYPAL" shows you these colours):

image.png.905659507f564f8e8a8ae0f0eb53ea1e.png

Looks quite good paletted mate. Good stuff.

Once again, Doom’s lack of blue and purple options kicks a beautiful texture’s ass.

it looks good paletted, but the dusk vibe has turned into a bit of a smoky wildfire appearance.