Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Post your Doom textures!

Completely pointless recolors, because who is going to need bright red vents? I dunno.

ESPfydn.png

Red, Blue and Yellow vents? Can't ever have too many colored indicators for Keys. And hospitals use colored lines on walls and floors as paths to specific locations. Why not colored vents as paths?

4 hours ago, Gez said:

Completely pointless recolors, because who is going to need bright red vents? I dunno.

There's always "those levels" that are partly or entirely done in one colour. Also it could be useful for something like an escape sequence where a base goes on lockdown and goes to (simulated) red lighting only.

People who read this thread may be interested in this:

+----------------------------------------------------------------+
All textures made from scratch in Substance Designer by Ben "Makkon" Hale.
Modification is allowed and encouraged, with credit.
Not for commercial use without express written permission. This doesn't mean it's a hard no, it just means an agreement needs to be arranged.

All sets come with color variations, with exception of a few. This makes for many textures to import and process. As a result, I have not cut up many of the trimsheets into separate trim textures, as this would result in several hundred textures to process. If you need your trims separated, feel free to cut them up yourself.

This pack contains the source textures exported directly from Substance Designer in their original colors (not quake-palette). These can be used in Quake via the Textures folder or imported into other games for use, such as Quake 2 or Half-Life.

~Ben "Makkon" Hale
https://twitter.com/BenjaminHale7
https://www.artstation.com/makkon
+----------------------------------------------------------------+

I especially like the cliff_<COLOR>_12 and 13, I don't recall seeing this type of pattern in other texture packs.

2 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Hellish sky made out of hexen mountains (Thanks annonymous user from /vr/) and a picture from "Heretic textures" topic.

SKY2.png

Looks unreal. Pretty cool, would be awesome if the ''vortex'' was animated. Skyboxes have always givin me great vibes.

4 hours ago, Jimmy said:

modstuff.png

Hmmm... Something's missing...

zWiZS7F.png

5 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Hellish sky made out of hexen mountains (Thanks annonymous user from /vr/) and a picture from "Heretic textures" topic.

SKY2.png

I found the original. Props to @Jimmy and @plums. I replaced the yellow with orange. It just grated on my eyes in doom palette. You lose some of that great 'violent' feel, but it's smoother at full sky-size. And yeah, @Endless, animated it would look like a black hole, slowly devouring the planet you're standing on. Way cool. I wish I was good enough to do that.

h5kFYbL.png

4 hours ago, Nootrac4571 said:

I gave it a quick go: Something like this?

Doom palettized, but it's 75 frames, so I'm not sure how practical it is.

swirly sky.gif

Swirly sky images.zip

Outstanding! As for practical, each of the PSX Doom fire skies is 100 frames, so no worries there.

Edit: Just watched 'Thor: Ragnarok'. Yep. That's 'The Devil's Anus'.

Edited by EffinghamHuffnagel

@Nootrac4571 that looks great but your conversion to the doom palette is not great with the brown dithering IMO. If you have the unpaletted version I could try some other tools to palettize it.

edit: Also here's an extended version of the Heretic mountains you could use if you wanted:

x6f0vti.png

Edited by plums

Tried my own animated vortex thing. Didn't turn out quite as well as I had hoped -- the rotation around the clouds is pretty obvious, especially since it "lines up" for one frame. I might work on it more later. This isn't doom paletized yet because I'm not satisfied with it.

edit: fixed it up a little but still not ideal. I might be done with it though....

edit2: Updated again, feeling OK about these ones. This is in the Doom palette, LMK if you want to use it but need help putting it into a wad.

mB5Ic2H.gif

YouNLgt.gif

Edited by plums

21 hours ago, plums said:

@Nootrac4571 that looks great but your conversion to the doom palette is not great with the brown dithering IMO. If you have the unpaletted version I could try some other tools to palettize it.

the horrible dithering is an artifact of the .gif - the image sequence looks a lot better (although not perfect)

21 hours ago, plums said:

edit: Also here's an extended version of the Heretic mountains you could use if you wanted:

17 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I would absolutely kill for just the rotating black hole on its own. Awesome job!

Can do! (excuse the dithered gifs again, bloody Adobe Media Encoder and its patchy .gif support)

Here are the frames for both, with truecolour and Doom palettized versions (although the Doom palettized versions aren't perfect; it's a dark art!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1s3dmeuj4pqdbp7/Swirly sky png frames.zip?dl=0

Please feel free to do whatever you like with them!

swirly sky clean.gif

swirly sky mountains.gif

4 hours ago, Nootrac4571 said:

the horrible dithering is an artifact of the .gif - the image sequence looks a lot better (although not perfect)

Weird that it would dither the gif when the images are already 256 colours. I guess to try to reduce the image size? Anyhow I just downloaded these ones and the colour conversion is just fine, so good to see/know. Lots of flavours of world-ending disaster to choose from now!

Some more vortexy portally things

DXLovRM.gif

Bh0FWLk.gif      .   RDijeM6.gif

Edited by plums

3 hours ago, plums said:

Weird that it would dither the gif when the images are already 256 colours. 

Yeah, it's super annoying - I made this with after affects, which used to export perfectly fine GIFs, but now only exports via media encoder, which has an absolutely terrible gif exporter that ignores the existing palette and aggressively messes up the colours for no explicable reason.

Adobe making their software less good with every update is a long standing and utterly frustrating thing.

That's a sexy looking platform! You could use it as a regular lift, or you could make it a theme of a mapset where instead of a special kind of exit door, the level always ends by riding a special lift.

On 7/6/2020 at 6:20 PM, plums said:

x6f0vti.png

I can't use animated texture, but those mountains are better than my version, so I'll use them when the time comes. Do I need to split it in 4 patches, or is 1 enough for limit-removing port? I don't quite understand the rules.