Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Post your Doom textures!

Has anyone had the painstaking time to create some DOOM 2016 textures so far?

@zdoom forums somebody posted this hl texture. I made shawn variant of it, made couple extra frames and made a brightmap for it

ANIMDEFS:

Spoiler

texture mksvl1a
allowdecals
random
pic mksvl1a rand 3 6
pic mksvl1b rand 3 6
pic mksvl1c rand 3 6
pic mksvl1d rand 3 6
pic mksvl1e rand 3 6
pic mksvl1f rand 3 6

texture mksvl1b
allowdecals
random
pic mksvl1a rand 3 6
pic mksvl1b rand 3 6
pic mksvl1c rand 3 6
pic mksvl1d rand 3 6
pic mksvl1e rand 3 6
pic mksvl1f rand 3 6

texture mksvl1c
allowdecals
random
pic mksvl1a rand 3 6
pic mksvl1b rand 3 6
pic mksvl1c rand 3 6
pic mksvl1d rand 3 6
pic mksvl1e rand 3 6
pic mksvl1f rand 3 6

texture mksvl1d
allowdecals
random
pic mksvl1a rand 3 6
pic mksvl1b rand 3 6
pic mksvl1c rand 3 6
pic mksvl1d rand 3 6
pic mksvl1e rand 3 6
pic mksvl1f rand 3 6

texture mksvl1e
allowdecals
random
pic mksvl1a rand 3 6
pic mksvl1b rand 3 6
pic mksvl1c rand 3 6
pic mksvl1d rand 3 6
pic mksvl1e rand 3 6
pic mksvl1f rand 3 6

texture mksvl1f
allowdecals
random
pic mksvl1a rand 3 6
pic mksvl1b rand 3 6
pic mksvl1c rand 3 6
pic mksvl1d rand 3 6
pic mksvl1e rand 3 6
pic mksvl1f rand 3 6

With each pic having it's own animation that loops randomly you can create a pretty cool effect if plaster the walls with variety of textures. Brightmap also makes it popout of the scene really nicely but if you dont have other brightmaps it might look odd. You can use the same brightmap for each frame of animation.

Original: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=31139&start=1695

Made a new lame texture.

Unlike the other texture this one is intended to be looping instead of randomly selecting a frame. I thought it looked cool if the yellow lights blinked faster than rest of the stuff so I made 8 frames instead of 4 You can pretty much cut one frame of each pair if you want them sync better. There is also brightmap included.

The gif got messed up but I was too lazy to fix it as it's only for demonstration anyway.

I'm working on converting Doom 3 textures into something compatible with oldgen engines.
1650+ textures already baked. (100++ hours of work)
-tiling check in progress
todo
-adjust brightness/contrast
-Doom palette version
-brightmaps
-50% downsized version = doom 1/2 size
-create wad

WIP preview : before/after

Spoiler

hidfan said:

I'm working on converting Doom 3 textures into something compatible with oldgen engines.

You are an awesome person.

hidfan said:

1650+ textures already baked. (100++ hours of work)
-tiling check in progress
todo
-adjust brightness/contrast
-Doom palette version
-brightmaps
-50% downsized version = doom 1/2 size
-create wad

WIP preview : before/after

These look great!

hidfan said:

Nice work

Empyre said:

Those look really good, but players are going to think that the ones on the first two rows are switches. Also, you did the satyr and the gargoyle, so why not the lion?

I assumed the skull textures were meant to be switches. And the lion already exists in Doom as WOODMET2.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

I assumed the skull textures were meant to be switches.

Oh, I see. That makes sense.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

the lion already exists in Doom as WOODMET2.

Now that you mention it, I remember that texture.

I didn't expect so much enthusiam, thanks :)

Yeah, the skulls are switches, and gargoyle/lion/satyre just decorations, but now that you mention it, some could be hidden switches. + now with 367% more blood !

Spoiler

Maître Jambon said:

I didn't expect so much enthusiam, thanks :)

Yeah, the skulls are switches, and gargoyle/lion/satyre just decorations, but now that you mention it, some could be hidden switches. + now with 367% more blood !

My free time is at a premium, so textures are something I can play with for half an hour and come back to later. Lately I've been making new switches for and out of standard Doom textures. I got tired of Hellish, Gothic and Red/Green Shiny Metal. Those three options just don't fit some situations. And I've always disliked non-switch textures that don't change or make a sound being used as switches.

You don't want a hidden switch to be completely the same as the non-switch version. Forcing a player to question every decoration and wall hump is frustrating. The trick I've found is to make new switches close enough to the originals so a player can run past without noticing, but if he stops and looks at it, he'll see a difference and realize it may hide a secret.

Here's the original Doom WOODMET2 and the SWxWDMT2 switch I made last year as an example.

I took the full-size lion head and re-sized it down so it would be slightly different, then touched it up. And I used WOODMET1 as the base instead of WOODMET2 so the wood and metal are also slightly different. Maybe it's too subtle, but it is noticible if you look at it.

Having a room full of WOODMET2 textures and only one of your satyr face switches is another good way to indicate a hidden switch. That was my intent with the GSTONE face switches I made.

And I particularly love your metal gargoyle blood font textures. Having more options for liquids coming out of walls is always a good thing.

Edit: Here's the lit Gstone switches using the original textures, for those who really want to hide them.

Edit2: I did variations of your fonts.