Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gramzilla

ZDoom scripting help

So I am fairly new to doom modding/mapping, and recently, I have been trying to make my own custom maps and WADS for the ZDoom engine. I am currently using GZDB version 2.x (maybe .3 or something), and I am making a map in Boom (Doom II format). My problem is that I want to script some ACS to make my map a little more complex and fun, but I don't really know how to do that. I've tried typing a simple "Hello World" into the script editor section, but I don't know how to make the code execute when my map opens. I know the ENTER thing, but it just won't work.
(Sorry if my English is poor, I am not as so good at it)
(also, if this is a duplicate, I am very sorry. I checked the forums for the past few hours and could not find any answers to my problem.)

You can't use ACS in Doom format maps (unless you use libraries, but that's a speciality). You should be mapping in Hexen or UDMF format (UDMF is preferable) to be able to normally script.

scifista42 said:

You can't use ACS in Doom format maps (unless you use libraries, but that's a speciality). You should be mapping in Hexen or UDMF format (UDMF is preferable) to be able to normally script.

So is it possible for me to script in Boom format? Or is that still considered "vanilla". (And if not, is it possible for me to change an existing map's format to UDMF?)

gramzilla said:

I am currently using GZDB version 2.x (maybe .3 or something), ...

gramzilla said:

So is it possible for me to script in Boom format?

No

gramzilla said:

(And if not, is it possible for me to change an existing map's format to UDMF?)

To convert your map to G/ZDoom UDMF(ormat)
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=52726

or
since you are using GZDB, use Map Options to convert to UDMF directly.
However, if you are using linedef action specials not all will be translated properly. For that zwadconv.exe is still preferred.

Kappes Buur said:

if you are using linedef action specials not all will be translated properly.

To be more precise, none will be translated properly.