Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
pming

Where is that new WadAuthor anyway?!

Grrrr!

Ok, I'm getting annoyed now. I've been a registered WadAuthor user now for years and years and years. I was there when it was only version 1.01 (IIRC). I remember pestering Mr.Williston (Philosomos? Is that his 'nick on here?), every year for a number of years in a row, asking about getting the code, or making the code available, or even updateing WA. A year-ish ago, he pops on these boards and gets everyones hopes up about an updated WA. Now, I'm a patient guy, and the only real thing I really wanted for WA was a "multiple texture browser" akin to that of DeepSea. Everything else is just gravy. Anyway, Mr.Williston implements that (and a few other things he was never quite happy with in the code itself), even posting screen shots. Then quietly vanishes.

I know he has a "serious" business to run and all that, but gamers are used to "beta software"...so why didn't he release a "beta version" to his registered customers at least? Anyone have his email so'ez I can email him and find out? Anyone in contact with him already? Anyehing at all?!?

Ok. I'm done now. Had to get that off my chest and see if I can stir the pot a bit to see if something floats to the surface. :)

pming said:

Grrrr!
the only real thing I really wanted for WA was a "multiple texture browser" akin to that of DeepSea

so buy deepsea.

He says in his post he's a big time WadAuthor user. I don't think he'd want to switch now.

Hiya.

:) As deep mentioned, I already have DeepSea. I've had it for...hmmm...must be about 2-3 years now? (since v 10.20).

I think DeepSea is a great program (although I still think my "new name" should have won...'DeepWadEr'; Deep Wad Editer, get it? ;) ). Anyway, I use both DeepSea and WadAuthor. To tell you the honest truth, I find I can edit faster in WadAuthor; maybe it's because I know all the keystrokes and whatnot. I also find WadAuthors "layout" more clean and easy to look at. DeepSea has that great "Line Draw" feature, and the texture chooser is very nice (the thing I've been waiting for WadAuthor to get for YEARS and YEARS now, as I said).

deep: If you read this, any chance of getting "common conversions" via right-click implemented? What I mean is, what I want to do is select a sector, then right click inside it, and have a popup menue list "Properties", "Convert to Stairs", "Convert to Door", "Convert to Predefined"? This would be a huge time saver. Just a thought. :)

deep said:

He did:))

ok then, to answer pming's original question: i havent heard of any activity surrounding wadauthor in quite a while

Yes, i'd been wondering what's happened to poor old Wad Author. Even a release of the source code, so someone can implement a few new features.

pming said:

I also find WadAuthors "layout" more clean and easy to look at.

True, it does "look" simpler, but then what one can do is pretty limited. Sort of like Notepad vs Word:)

As screen resolutions increased (1024x768 is better) and processor speed picked up, I just took advantage and popped more editing features into the SAME dialog. I'm a fan of doing the most that can be done in one dialog:)

Best resolution is 1280 on up. Looks quite different at that res. 19 inch monitors are really cheap now and even 21 is affordable.

To do the same thing in WA one needs at least 2 dialogs vs 1 in DeePsea. If one actually uses it enough to get comfortable - especially when modifying maps - it takes little time to realize how much faster the consolidated dialogs are. Plus you can just press the Enter key (or right click) to get the dialogs. WA double clicking is not exactly easy. In fact, one has to concentrate pretty hard just placing the cursor to get some things to happen in WA - I just plain ole don't agree with that style:)

deep: If you read this, any chance of getting "common conversions" via right-click implemented? What I mean is, what I want to do is select a sector, then right click inside it, and have a popup menue list "Properties", "Convert to Stairs", "Convert to Door", "Convert to Predefined"? This would be a huge time saver. Just a thought. :)

There are already predefined conversions for Stairs, Doors and Lifts, however they are in the Misc menu. It's not something that's done very often, so clobbering the right-mouse button would not be a good idea. This combo is already used to edit any object.

If you double right click (fast enough), you get the prefab tools and drawing tools. This is the same as on the icon tool bars, which are much easier to use.

Hiya.

deep: I can understand the reluctance to "clobber the right click". :) But I'm a 3d artist and have been spoiled by clean ergonomic work flow and the ability to re-map keys and manipulate my working environment (Maya, 3DS MAX and Softimage, if you're wondering). The ability to have several windows open of your same map, each with different grid, zoom, etc. settings is really useful. I typically have 3 open; one for "fine detail" (low grid; maybe 8, zoomed into the current working area), one for "rough detail" (high grid; 128 or 256, zoomed way out to see most of map, showing 64-mark grid points), and my "main workarea" (medium grid; maybe 32). I can keep an eye on everything, all at once. :)

Double clicking is easy, with the right mouse. :) I used to use a 4-button mouse (logitec); middle button was mapped to be "Double Click"; thumb button was mapped to be "Ctrl". Joining linedefs was easy using this. Click on line, thumb click, right click, then hit the J key. Pretty damn fast once you got into the swing of things. :)

At any rate, using WadAuthor and DeepSea together is what works for me. And I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Lobo said:

Unfortunately, it looks like it hasn't been updated in quite some time :-(

"WadAuthor Progress Update #4 (3/08/01)"

You ain't kiddin', Lobo :)

'Tis a shame, seeing how promising the changes were going to be.