• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrewj

OBLIGE 7.50 released!

MinerOfWorlds said:

Will there be wolfenstein 3d support?

No.

I have experimented with Wolf-3d support in the past, so it can be done, I just don't like playing Wolf-3D enough to do all the testing it would require, and there has been very little demand for it.

I would rather support one of the Wolf-3d themed mods for Doom. But I have no concrete plans for that either, just saying that would be a bit more interesting to work on.

Glaice said:

Geo: Which E2M8, since I built just about every Doom1 boss arena map. Is it the one similar to the original or is it that gigantic one that forces you to fight your way up the tower?

The giant tower you climb. I thought it was awesome.

I've started making a game in my mind... where I get a point for surviving a map. If I die, I just go to the next map. Then at the end of the episode I see if I had more points than not. Competitive Obliging... alone.

geo said:

That map was made by Glaice.

(Oblige does not generate its own boss maps yet)

Nice idea about the survival points. I reckon it could be a group competition kinda thing, a bit like how Nethack has global rankings of people who have won the game.

andrewj said:

That map was made by Glaice.

(Oblige does not generate its own boss maps yet)

Nice idea about the survival points. I reckon it could be a group competition kinda thing, a bit like how Nethack has global rankings of people who have won the game.

I'm good at making non competitive things competitive.

Good job Glaice. I figured it didn't make that map although I kind of think it could with more effort. What you have now is incredible and fascinating. The map geometry is so much better and it feels like the item ratio on default is enough to get me through even with a pistol start. The Doom 2 default seems to be more murderous, but that's the enemies for you.

Anyway its great. Today I'll go through E3 and go back to try E1M8 because my play time was cut a bit short.

The E3M8 I played felt good. Nice walls to hide behind. The DIE map for E1M8 was like Dead Simple with Barons! I liked both.

1) I created a tech episode and half the maps have this crappy exit:

http://imgur.com/a/RgIRP

This cube with switches all around sucks, can we agree on this? :D

2) Some closets that open up only have 1 monster in them. Is it because I am playing on HMP difficulty? I think I can handletwo demons or two shotgunners lmao ...

3) Some parts of the map lead to nothing, not even items. When I say parts of the map I mean some stairs that lead to a higher platform for example.

VGA said:

1) I created a tech episode and half the maps have this crappy exit:

http://imgur.com/a/RgIRP

This cube with switches all around sucks, can we agree on this? :D

2) Some closets that open up only have 1 monster in them. Is it because I am playing on HMP difficulty? I think I can handletwo demons or two shotgunners lmao ...

3) Some parts of the map lead to nothing, not even items. When I say parts of the map I mean some stairs that lead to a higher platform for example.

Half? As far as I've seen its 100%. I think I've only discovered one sort of hidden exit on a wall. I've seen full monster closets even on HMP. Random is random I guess. Sometimes several closets open in various areas.

You're right some stairs lead to platforms with nothing on them. I assume that's just a better vantage point of a battleground.

geo said:

Thanks, that map as well is called Ultratower on /idgames/ in which the area around the tower is its original size.

Wow 3 stars. I guess as a typical map it might be judged bad, but as a replacement its great. Its visually impressive to see even if its a literal hallway.

VGA said:

1) half the maps have this crappy exit:
2) Some closets that open up only have 1 monster in them
3) Some parts of the map lead to nothing, not even items

All valid criticisms.

Oblige works by growing rooms one-by-one until it has a whole map, and THEN it decides which will be the start room, which will be the exit room, which doors to lock and where to place the keys.

So you often get parts of the map, or even parts of a room, that don't really have any purpose. I don't think that is completely fixable, though I have some ideas to improve it.

It tries to use a closet fo the exit, since they look decent, but often the chosen exit room does not have a closet, or it's right next to the entrance, so it falls back to the simple cube switch.

Can't you just make sure that each area has some items or some enemies or a switch or an entrance to a secret?

And I think closets should have several enemies. The difficulty should mostly change the type of enemies, not their number. For example on UV maybe a closet has two chaingunners and two shotgunners, but on HMP one chaingunner of those is replaced with a zombieman, on lesser difficulty one shotgunner replaced by a zombieman as well.

Just throwing out ideas.

About the exits, why are there switches on all 4 sides? Looks bad IMO. By the way, can/do you use prefabs for detailing? If you make a thread asking for exit prefabs I am sure you will get dozens, I have a few ideas, too.

The idea of prefabs is pretty good, especially since it definitely makes some use of them (or at least, predetermined assets like the cube exit).

For what it's worth, I actually kinda like the cube exit. I don't think I've seen that in (m)any maps before. Also gives me the idea that one of the four switches could be a secret exit or do something cool instead of exit!

VGA said:

About the exits, why are there switches on all 4 sides?

The switch might get used in a very tight space which blocks the player, and if it only had a single switch and it faced the wrong direction then the level would not be completable.

That's also why it is 64x64 in size. I have a nicer one which is 128x32 units, but it sometimes blocked the player, or blocked monsters behind it, which was rather unsatisfying so I opted for a smaller one.

When proper wall switches are implemented, that will probably be a better option than the cube.

I appreciate the offer of you to make some prefabs! But unfortunately I'm not quite ready for that yet. I'll be documenting the OBLIGE prefab system early next year.

Can Oblige check the space around it before placing the prefab? For example:

• Check the exit room for a 192x192 square
  • If no suitable space is found, reselect exit room
  • Once room with suitable space is found, delete all things in that allocated space
  • Calculate which direction has the most free space
  • Place exit in the center of the defined location, ensuring the exit is facing the direction with the most space.
I imagine doing this programmatically isn't as simple as a little list, but based on what you have achieved already it sounds possible to me!

What about this idea: You create the exit room first and put a prefab in it, or embedded to a wall. Then you create rooms around that, creating sequence stuff, like key/skull doors/switches and finally you create a specialized starting room.

My point is to use specific algorithms to create the starting and exit rooms. If you ask for prefabs for decoration, exit stuff etc, you will keep getting more and more.

Exits can be a tunnel leading into darkness like in Hellbound, or a lift that keeps going and then the map ends like in UAC Ultra, I think it uses voodoo doll trickery. Or it can be a jump to a sky floor, or you can use map-specific effects like having to kill all Mancubi in MAP07 etc. Or death exits, executed by an SS Nazi firing squad.

Just brainstorming while eating lol

I like the ideas VGA brought up with exit room creation with mixing prefab sections with sprouted regions and others.

I played through episode 4. Seems like E4M6 had Tower of Babel in it.

I've also been discovering traps. There are switches on walls that do things sure, but sometimes the switch opens its own wall to reveal monsters. I like it. Only found it twice out of some extensive playing.

Yea, that Tower of Babel lookalike with the trees outside was also constructed by me and edited by Ajapted.

I'm not sure if to whomever reads this message is aware about this already, but the website for Oblige is kinda down at the moment, just thought I'd let you know.

12 hours ago, kinker31 said:

I'm not sure if to whomever reads this message is aware about this already, but the website for Oblige is kinda down at the moment, just thought I'd let you know.

It's sourceforge (the host site) that is down. See also tweet of sourceforge administrator: https://twitter.com/sfnet_ops?lang=el

On 12/6/2016 at 3:03 AM, andrewj said:

I would rather support one of the Wolf-3d themed mods for Doom. But I have no concrete plans for that either, just saying that would be a bit more interesting to work on.

I know this is pretty much inactive, but damn I wish it could generate Wolf themed maps... or just learn user feed, like these 10 textures shall be on the floor, this is wall etc

On 5/16/2018 at 6:55 PM, ChrisVR said:

I know this is pretty much inactive, but damn I wish it could generate Wolf themed maps... or just learn user feed, like these 10 textures shall be on the floor, this is wall etc

If you want a modified version that I did which freshens things up a bit but on version 7.59, check this out. You will need 7-zip to extract it.

I'm also in an unofficial Oblige Discord server set up by another fan, PM me if interested.

Edited by Glaice