Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
termrork

Question Doom wad editing

Hi folks,
since I encountered severe problems with my mapping project I would like to ask you a question I could not solve for myself:

how can I replace monster sprites in doom2 format?

I know how this is possible in principle. For any sourceport it also works without a problem, but not really for doom2.exe. Does anyone know a small working example? I know work like batman doom, but I do not want to replace ALL sprites, but only a few.

Thank you in advance!

Are you aiming for doom2.exe support? If not, then it shouldn't be much of a problem.
If you are, then you could try using DeuSF to make a hacked doom2.exe (haven't tried it though, as I don't require it).

As for replacing, not adding monster sprites, you replace it. It can't be that hard, is it?

Vanilla Doom can't stand if you replace only some but not all sprites. You have to use one of the following tricks to have custom sprites in vanilla:

1. Make sure to replace ALL sprites that exist in the respective IWAD.
2. Use DEUSF to automatically add non-replaced sprites from the IWAD into your wad (this should be done on the player's side - you shouldn't distribute your wad with IWAD sprites re-included this way).
3. Use Chocolate Doom's -merge command instead of -file when loading the wad.
4. Rename your sprites and rename also their respective name strings in DEHACKED, then patch the vanilla executable using the Dehacked program or load the DEHACKED patch via a respective command line parameter in Chocolate Doom.

@Voros

yes doom2.exe support, had no problem with source ports as mentioned

@scifista42

thank you a lot, point 2 is exactly what I was wondering about, I did not want to have all original sprites to be in my pwad to work since I do not want to distribute them.
I will try your path and let you know if it works

edit: it worked, I even had the right files in my directory (.bat file which runs deusf & dehacked)... because I did this around 1 year ago but sadly forgot how to do it and tried new methods since I forgot the old working ones... thanks a lot :)

If you've used DEUSF on your wad, you've actually added all the IWAD sprites into the wad, just with less manual work, because DEUSF automates the process - but the sprites are now in your wad, and in that state, you shouldn't distribute the wad anyway. What I meant was, distribute the wad that wasn't processed by DEUSF, and include a note in the textfile that if somebody wants to play this wad in vanilla executable, he should use DEUSF himself to add the sprites into the wad (or use one of the other methods).

Like scifista said, don't provide the sprites in the IWAD with your WAD.

Rather provide a text file on how to install it and to make things simpler, a batch file with DeuSF (it is freeware)