Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AverageWalrus24

[Deleted]

when you look up a videogame you're likely to get content from all the games in the series in the results anyways. I don't know how this is a problem.

Doom 2016 took over search lol, I don't search for Classic doom stuff very often but when i do, It's just for ZDoom mods & modding tips .

Almonds said:

when you look up a videogame you're likely to get content from all the games in the series in the results anyways. I don't know how this is a problem.

Clearly you have never used Google in your entire life because what you said is objectively wrong.

look up 'resident evil'

get new info from the new resident evil game

look up 'god of war'

get new info from the new god of war game

look up 'uncharted'

get new info from the new uncharted game

look up 'doom'

Is there something I'm missing here? I get it's a minor annoyance as the OP himself pointed out but I don't know how this is apparently objectively wrong. Care to explain?

Id should have just stacked extra O's for every new Doom game.

Doom 1993 = Doom
Doom 2 = Dooom
Doom 3 = Doooom
Doom 2016 = Dooooom

That way, you don't have to worry about numbers when doing a reboot like Doooom and Dooooom.

Can't wait for Doooooom

Almonds said:

Is there something I'm missing here? I get it's a minor annoyance as the OP himself pointed out but I don't know how this is apparently objectively wrong. Care to explain?

But calling DOOM4 'DOOM' makes things worse. Just like calling the new Prey, a game with a completely different story and a completely different team, 'Prey' just to make sure there's even more confusion. I'll agree that the 'first game in the series' usually has this problem and I don't really understand why exactly Averagewalrus24 would want to look up a 23 year old game on Google when there're sites like Doomworld... But when a new game has the exactly same name it makes things worse. That's why I'm a fan of subtitles - you don't have to worry about the 'numerical order' and you avoid the confusion between the entries.

Yep, stupid marketing bullshit. Let's not pretend this has no effect; the world goes beyond a Google search, and we've all seen miscommunications between people thinking the name means "classic Doom" or "Doom 2016". Yes, you can clear it up. The whole point is that you shouldn't have to. It's a pointless loss of time for everyone involved.

Phml said:

It's a pointless loss of time for everyone involved.

Except those whom are selling the product, the more people see it the more they will want to buy it, and the more hits the name gets, the more towards trending it goes, then it's more likely news sites will report on it resulting in more people having exposure to it, thus they'll be more likely to buy it if they're on the fence. Yes it's annoying but when rebooting a game it is a very effective tactic to increase user base.

TheWizard said:

Id should have just stacked extra O's for every new Doom game.

Doom 1993 = Doom
Doom 2 = Dooom
Doom 3 = Doooom
Doom 2016 = Dooooom

That way, you don't have to worry about numbers when doing a reboot like Doooom and Dooooom.

Can't wait for Doooooom

Gobliiins.
Gobliins 2.
Goblins Quest 3.
Gobliiins 4.

Top that.

Averagewalrus24 said:

Here is a quick little dumb question. Does anybody else HATE it when movies or games have the SAME name as each other? My reason for this is lets say I want to go look for DOOM (1993) I have to type in the 1993 or I'll get DOOM (2016) results! (I know I should just calm down and type the extra 4 characters, but doesn't this bother other people too?)

The first results will be about Doom 2016 because it´s what people is looking more often. Now if you want to get something more specific then you put more information Not a big deal.

So no it doesn´t bother me if they use the same name...

TAPETRVE said:

Gobliiins.
Gobliins 2.
Goblins Quest 3.
Gobliiins 4.

Top that.

My only criticism is that the fourth title should have been "Goblns 4".

Gez said:

My only criticism is that the fourth title should have been "Goblns 4".

The thing with the Goblins series is that the number of "i"s in each title is actually equivalent to the number of player characters the games have respectively. In the first game it's 3, in the second it's 2, in the third you only have a single protagonist, and in the 4th game it's back to 3. Would've been funny, though, if G4 didn't have a protagonist at all :-D .

I don't know why simply calling it "DOOM IV" was so hard, but apparently it was. Doom 3 was a "series reboot" yet it kept the 3.

Doomkid said:

I don't know why simply calling it "DOOM IV" was so hard, but apparently it was. Doom 3 was a "series reboot" yet it kept the 3.

Then maybe they shouldn't have called it Doom 3. Once you break sequence, you'd might as well start adding subtitles instead of numbers, which I'm assuming they're going to do from here on out. Doom 3 is very reason it isn't Doom 4.

Sig said:

Then maybe they shouldn't have called it Doom 3. Once you break sequence, you'd might as well start adding subtitles instead of numbers, which I'm assuming they're going to do from here on out. Doom 3 is very reason it isn't Doom 4.

Subtitles often come off as cheesy, especially in a no-bull franchise like Doom. Of course not all subtitles are cheesy, but I'd rather it be "Doom IV" than "Doom: Resurrection of Repercussions of Redemption" or even "Doom (2016)" like we ended up with. It's not a big deal, Even Doom 2 had a subtitle, but everyone just calls it "Doom 2" which is much easier in passing conversation/googling and even fr marketing to some degree.

Thing I've noticed about Doom game is that it's either the "Doom x" or the tuncated subtitle ( if possible ), nothing more. You don't hear about Final Doom: TNT Evilution, you just get TNT ( same with its counterpart, which is just Plutonia as opposed to Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment ). No Doom II: No Rest for the Living, it's just No Rest for the Living or, more often, NRftL. And, y'know, RoE.

So, yeah. Granted, those aren't main series games, but subtitles aren't really an issue, they just have to be distinct enough to act as the title all on their own.

Doomkid said:

I agree. Also, you should respect the old game enough when creating a new installment by leaving its name alone and raising up the seriers number. It is not like you are making a new series altogether. The fact that Doom 2016 did not get any unique designation to differentiate it from the original baffles me, given that how much there is references in the new game to the old one - so they knew they were not making a completely fresh game. But yeah, probably their marketing team figured that taking the original name can help promote the game better as THIS DOOM, while anyone who would take offence to such tactic is in minority and not going to do anything about something (admittedly) trival like this.
Also, giving a subtitle in place of a number is lame and more in place of expansion packs or spinoffs.