Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v2.3 Released

Version 2.3 of the DOOM Retro source port is now available. This release brings with it a great number of improvements, and several new features, such as motion blur when the player turns quickly, the ability to draw the player's path in the automap, and even more player stats. Visit www.doomretro.com to download and for the full release notes.

hardcore_gamer said:

lol at how the port calls itself retro and yet still fills itself with all kinds of modern features like motion blur.

as long as i can disable it... using ULMB for a reason ;)

nice port btw.

hardcore_gamer said:

lol at how the port calls itself retro and yet still fills itself with all kinds of modern features like motion blur.

The idea is to realize the "nostalgia goggles" Doom many had deep in their minds. I too remembered Doom as being much gorier and scarier (and smoother) in my head when I saw it the first time.

I think that's what Brad's going for.

Hey Brad, just played your port and it looks and feels GREAT!

Only downside for my personal taste > I just can't play without mlook up/down anymore ; ) and I wouldn't mind higher res especially for the automap either.

I'm 99% certain this feature isn't in and probably never will be.
But after using using a custom tweaked Risen3D port for many many years I would love to go back to the pixel look since I enjoyed DoomRetro a lot! (except for the above mentioned).
Can you (or anyone else) recommend a port with comparable features like yours (especially the dynamic shadows) but with with mlook?

Thanks and good luck in the future with your port!

Thanks a lot for the tipp bzzrak. I took a quick look at the site. Didn't see shadows mentioned though. But I try it out as soon as I can!

EDIT: ok... just tried it. But I liked DoomRetro much more. The look just totally nailed it! It was perfect!! huge part is probably the gamma change - it looks just awesome. If there only was the vertical mousemovement ; )

Brad, if you ever put it in, please PM me!

Everyone has their own preference but regarding mouselook I prefer it the way I have ZDoom set up: While holding Q I can look up and down and as soon as I let it go the view returns to centered. So I use this temporary mlook only to check out things when there is a big height difference (like going down a staircase or looking up a cliff) and sometimes aiming, especially with the rocket launcher.

I play 99% of the game with no vertical aiming for more consistent aim. Also because the perspective is wrong in software renderers.

hardcore_gamer said:

That is disabled by default. Also, it is only noticeable with very sharp turns, even if set at 100%.

bzzrak said:

DR and Crispy seem to be developed somewhat together, so they share a lot of fancy features.

Na, really not. Both ports were "born" at around the same time and we occasionally share some code or comments, but that's really all.

That port is far from beign retro like chocolate doom.

It adds translucenty, blood particles other stuff.
Sooo many singleplayer doom ports that makes no sense or doing the exact thing as the other one