Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rdwpa

Soundfont Request

I'm looking for the soundfont that prBoom+'s SDL midi player uses, or if it's not a soundfont, a soundfont that very closely emulates it. Thanks in advance.

From prboom-plus.cfg:

snd_soundfont             "TimGM6mb.sf2"
Can be found here.

EDIT: It's also actually included as a standalone file in the PrBoom+ zip for Windows, better get it from there.

That one is the tinky soundfont that plays by default when Fluidsynth (not SDL) is selected. I also tried converting GM.dls into a soundfont, but this one didn't quite have the SDL sound either -- it was a lot more subdued.

rdwpa said:

I also tried converting GM.dls into a soundfont

Why would you do that when Scc1t2.sf2 existed for decades?

Also,we lost you the momenf you started talking about "SDL Sound", as SDL is not a synthesizer and never has been. That being said, maybe the soundfont you're looking for is FluidR3?

Danfun64 said:

Why would you do that when Scc1t2.sf2 existed for decades?

I had already tried Scc1t2.sf2. Not it.

Danfun64 said:

Also,we lost you the momenf you started talking about "SDL Sound", as SDL is not a synthesizer and never has been.

First, take it easy on your keyboard.

Second, I know, and anyone capable of answering the question will understand that I'm referring to the option in prBoom+'s config next to snd_midiplayer ("Preferred Midi Player" in prBoom+'s config menu itself). That happens to be "SDL". So you can keep your haughty little nitpicks to yourself.

If you're on windows, SDL is probably using the Windows midi synth (and from your YT videos it does sound like that's the case), which does use variants of the original SC55 samples. Someone linked a huge set of SC55 soundfonts in the Doom Retro thread, you perhaps could try those. I found though that the bigger ones had percussion that uh, made my head want to crack in half

I think I currently use the 25MB one. Its a bit nicer, but the percussion still tends to get a little annoying and its not entirely what I'm used to. I guess that's the curse of MIDI music.

EDIT: Hmm, pop the 25MB one into PRBoom+ and D_RUNNIN sounds incredibly weird now. I guess I gotta keep searching further (and some later songs also sound pretty bad, so yeah I guess I gotta keep on trying. aagh. There was one I used to like, but out of the blue, something happened on my computer and suddenly songs like GRABBAG got pitched up horridly)

EDIT2: I've given all of these a spin, and frankly none sound like what you get right out of windows, so eh. I don't know if they're more correct or not, but they're just not what I'm used to so hmm. Maybe googling around would turn up something more worthwhile, I'm really not getting anything that sounds remotely like what I'm used to from that big pile of SC55 soundfonts

Rayzik said:

Is this the soundfont you are looking for? GM.sf2

Oh dear, thanks for bringing this to my attention! I'm sure I'm just weird at this point for being used to this sound, but it's pretty close from what I can tell. Doesn't have the pitch problem on some Descent and Duke Nukem songs my previous one had, either, so that's really nice.