Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeroMaster010

Final Doom: TNT Evilution on NIGHTMARE! difficulty in 1:23:36

It's been over 20 years now since final doom was released, so here's the second part, TNT, on nightmare for the first time ever!

This is also my 50th d2all run, were most of them are for doom 2.

This was my first attempt past stronghold, again I get very lucky with my second final doom nightmare run. I feel like I have had a very bad streak of luck with doom 2 nightmare the last months, so I'm glad the game gave me a break when I really needed it. There's no way getting past map 08 or map 09 without a lot of luck, however it was map 14 and 27 that should have killed me. I started this run at about 05:00, I had no idea what I got myself into when I decided to just do a few attempts, as I assumed I'd never make it past stronghold anyways.

This run is a bit longer than plutonia, only 40 minutes or so :) As far as I know this should now be the longest ever nightmare demo, as it is longer than the doom 2 all secrets category demos.

Plutonia was done last year on nightmare, thread can be found here:
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/73084-final-doom-the-plutonia-experiment-on-nightmare-in-4357/

30tn8336.zip

The God of Going Fast does it again!
Congrats on getting through this awful mapset on NM :D

Always fun watching what creative things you come up with to minimise variance, especially on the ep1 maps.

Thanks for the comments!

a couple of things I noticed...

After getting past stronghold I was naturally a bit nervous for the start of map 10, which explains why I completely failed the linedef skip at the start. I used sr50 instead of sr40! sr40 always works easily because there is so much room for error, I think sr50 should have worked too, but I had a straferight40 command before MF50 SR50.

On stronghold I died several times during practice to the barrel after the blue key switch because it was so hard to get used to the delay of the rocket exploding followed by the barrel. This time I did make the same mistake, but I was lucky to be just a bit too far from it to take any significant damage.

Rocket splash can go through walls, I wasn't aware of that, see map 09, shotgunner in the room before red key.

Looking at my position after hitting the switch by the cyberdemon at map 30, it was close from actually crashing due to cndoom having some problems with that particular room. Checking in nomo at this one spot, if I would have turned to face straight forward (turn left by 30 or so) it would have crashed.

I'd also like to congratulate you on your run. I had been looking forward to this one after your Plutonia NM run.

What are your plans now after this?

ZeroMaster010 said:

Looking at my position after hitting the switch by the cyberdemon at map 30, it was close from actually crashing due to cndoom having some problems with that particular room. Checking in nomo at this one spot, if I would have turned to face straight forward (turn left by 30 or so) it would have crashed.

Is it related to the stairs?

Angst929 said:

What are your plans now after this?

I probably want to go back to doom 2, but I don't have any motivation for that at the moment so it will be a while before I go back to it.

ThatHomestar said:

Is it related to the stairs?

Facing the switch and taking the right side and looking into the room will crash the game, or just about on the stairs. There is also a second area it will crash which is in the back of the room facing the entrance door. Someone suggested it had something to do with all the pillars and there being some kind of limit, I checked dosbox and it doesn't happen there though, cndoom only as far as I can tell.

I have, but it's too much work to do it right. If someone did a d2all uv-speed of AV it would be very impressive, but kind of like long tyson demos I wouldn't be sure if I would actually watch it played back at normal speed unless there was considereable effort into going fast instead of only surviving.